“This is not a 'tourist attraction'!!!”

Alms Giving Ceremony
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I, too, got up early three or four times to see this. This is a genuine, communal activity, not to be treated as a tourist attraction, but with profound respect and with a quiet mind. Consider leaving your cameras at home all together, find your spot, and if you can, sit very still and quiet and just watch. If you do bring your camera, make absolutely sure that the flash is OFF. And still stand back and give space. You are not important in this moment - and you could try just remembering it when you get home. Do I feel strongly about this? You bet I do!

I loved it and it made me realise how interconnected the monks and the local community is. I decided not to get sticky rice (if you do, you should get it before the ceremony, but on the same day, from the market, not from any lurking vendor, to ensure it is fresh).

There are places in Luang Prabang that is not overrun with tourist flashing their cameras. Our place was one such - but I am not saying where, just to leave the monks and the community in peace.

1  Thank tebejp
Write a ReviewReviews (3,600)
All reviews
in 28 reviews
"local women"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Getting up at the crack of dawn to watch the local monks collect their daily food might not sound initially thrilling, but it's quite a unique, interesting and authentic experience. Of course just about every other tourist has the same intention and the street becomes a bit like a paparazzi shoot. However don't let that put you off, as there are plenty of streets and plenty of monks, grouped by monastery, collecting their daily alms.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were up early to catch this ceremony. Unfortunately, we too were scammed by one of the locals (I had made the mistake of not reading Trip Advisor beforehand!). It cost a fortune (in Lao terms) for us to hand over the sticky rice which we had to pay for (we of course were unaware of what was to happen when we had used up the rice the woman gave us). So, as others have said, watch respectfully, but don't let the scammers get you.

1  Thank GerMar60
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Initially, this activity felt like a tourist set-up, but after doing it and watching the native Laotians donate, we realized that this was the real thing. These monks walk among the people every day to gather food for their meals, but what they collect cannot be enough to feed all of them. The variety of food groups is missing. I would rate it higher if we'd had more of an explanation about it, but our guide didn't have a lot of info about it.