“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #113 of 257 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

First I want to say the staff were so kind and helpful when they could be. I thought the rooms were large and the view from the first floor of the river was lovely. And even though it got quite cold at night I never felt the need for a heater. The bathroom in the first room was not really up to standard, the bracket used to hold the shower head was above my head easily a foot, and if you used it with the water on, it just shot out over your head to hit the wall. Having said that, I never had a problem with hot water. The cable and internet was really hit or miss. I know it is a problem in countries like Laos or Cambodia, but do not expect to be able to connect whenever you want. The biggest problem I had was the room had mosquitos and even though I had spray, I was terrorized at night. I went through two nights of being attacked before another room came available to move into. The second room was so much better, with a functional shower, but a massive tub that made getting to the toilet quite comical. You could tell they were really trying to make good impressions...I was there during CNY, so it actually was not quiet, but not the the fault of the hotel. The main road in front of the hotel became the shouting strip at night and yes at 5am the crows of the rooster wade me smile and swear at the same time. Breakfast was really good, especially the omelet.
I recommend renting a bike, and enjoy just wandering around this incredible city...

Room Tip: Room 3 was the better room for me.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Nelson, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had suite #1 it had a huge bedroom with an amazing balcony looking out over the Mekong river. Liitle quieter part of town, but overall an amazing hotel and location. Walking distance from the main streets and shrines. I would suggest renting or booking any activities on your own. We compared the hotel rates to the private busineesses and found that the hotel added a surcharge for there services. (Totally understandable) but, if you have any skill at all. Arranging your own is very easy. Decent western style breakfast, very clean with free wifi theres a bbq type place just down the street that is packed everyday and offers great food.

Room Tip: Ask for the river view rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bad Feilnbach, Bayern, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

The River Lodge 2 belongs to the River Lodge Hotel approx. 150 meters up the road and lies on the Banks of the Mekong river. I had a room on the first floor (2nd for the Americans) and it was quite a large anc comfortable room. Everything was clean including the bathroom. The wooden cover in the bathroom looked a little bit old as water from the shower always was spread through the room. BTW when reading other comments, I did not had any problem with warm water.
Breakfast was good and served as there was no bufett. One could choose between breakfast western or Asian style and both were good.
Just cross the road there's a Restaurant from where I made my most beautiful sunset pictures - one has not to climb the Mount Phousi. Traffic is definitely no problem in the old part of Luang Prabang, so it was quiet from 10pm until 5 or 6am (when the cocks got awake ;-) ). The only exception were some drunk Aussies one night.
The hotel's location is great as one can access all parts of Ancient Luang Prabang very easily by foot - no need for a bike.
The hotel staff and the Service were great so I had no complains at all.
Under the score a recommendation for a great place to spend some days.

Room Tip: Take the rooms in the upper floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We made a last minute booking on our first trip and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of this 3 star property. The entire staff could not do enough, from breakfast to tours. We enjoyed the balcony watching the river come to life. Friends were paying 3 times the price nearby so we were chuffed at out great find

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in January and had the most fantastic room with a balcony overlooking the river. The staff very friendly and helpful and the hotel has all that you need for a relaxing stay, including, in our room, a bath!
The location is superb - just a couple of minutes from the Night Market but very quiet at night, and with excellent local restaurants on the river bank nearby.

Room Tip: Best to get a room on the first floor overlooking the river
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights around new year. While the hotel was satisfactory in terms of the room and location, our entire experience was marred by the fact that we had a couple of items stolen from our room during our stay - a handbag and a bottle of perfume belonging to my girlfriend. There are no safes in any of the rooms, which meant that we took all of our valuable items out with us each day, but obviously could not take everything that a thief may look to steal.

We only realised the theft a few days after we had left the hotel, as the items had been packed at the bottom of a rucksack. Through process of elimination, we realised that they had to have been stolen at the River Lodge 2. We contacted the hotel owner over email to ask if he could look into this for us; his response was that all his staff are Buddhist, and therefore it could not possibly have been any of them, as Buddhist people do not steal. They were not prepared to investigate further, despite the fact that there were no signs of forced entry, so the thief had to have had a key. I would not recommend staying here due to very lax security.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WJBCQ

Travelers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Palos Verdes Estates, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

After looking at the high priced hotels just outside town that we had read about, our taxi driver took us along the Mekong and recommended this charming boutique. We stayed in the suite with a giant tub for my wife. A beautiful room. There is a comfortable balcony that looks over the street and across to the river where I could enjoy my wine. The room was beautiful and staff helpful, friendly, and wonderful. We were traveling Asia for 5 weeks and $6 for our laundry was fantastic. We could have stayed much longer, but only had a couple nights before jumping on the great 2-day Mekong River Cruise to the Laos / Thai border. Luang Prabang town is only a couple blocks wide, so very nice to be able to walk everywhere. Note: There are a number of hotels with similar names, but only one that is #2 ... the sister hotel is down the street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family