“Good traditional market in Laos”
Review of Ma Te Sai

Ma Te Sai
Ranked #9 of 23 Shopping in Luang Prabang
More attraction details
Owner description: Ma Te Sai means "where is it from?" In Lao. We choose and design beautiful gifts and household items that are hand made by people, from villages around Laos.
Vac, Hungary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good traditional market in Laos”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Ma Te Sai is all about hand made products in Laos. It is a large market for gift and household items made by people all over Laos. By doing so, we can offer a higher and more sustainable income back to poor and vulnerable Lao artisans. They make great mementos of Laos, interesting and unique gifts, or add function and beauty to your home. Many items embrace village life, the traditions passed down over generations, the identities of various ethnic groups, and celebrate the craft involved. I bought for myself a lovely contton scarves and very interested in it. Exciting shopping areas in Laos.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank Fozsi2450

Vientiane
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Such a cute shop offering true fair trade Lao products!”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I visited Ma Te sai last week and was absolutly charmed by the place. Go go go!!!

Ma te sai or the Lao Alibaba's cave is full of organic products from all around the country. From comfortable coton scarves to organic rice, honey to herbal /green tea, amazing fabrics from Savanakhet to cute jackets of the Northern tribes... difficult to make your choice, but there are ideas for everyone!

And absolutly to mentionned, all the products presented in the shop are coming from the farthest regions of Laos, withing a fair trade frame. A rare initiative to witness in Laos that Ma te sai wants to support. Something that we should all promote!!! (You'll get more info on their FB page: [--]

So, take few minutes to have a look. Centrally located (the main street of Luang Prabang), you'll for sure pass in front of this lovely and charming little shop and won't get out without something. Totally affordable, I bet that everyone can find something for his budget! (I've melt in front of the small candles in elephant shape, absolutly too cute! :-)

Visited August 2011
3 Thank Ciaoblue
Vientiane, Laos
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great selection of authentic Lao textiles and other products”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I visited this shop in Luang Prabang after a friend told me about it, I was happy to find it open quite late as I was walking back to my guesthouse from dinner. The shop is well-organised and has a good selection of Lao products from across the country: home textiles, bags, cosmetics, scarves etc. The staff was able to tell me in very good English where all their products came from whenever I asked. I fell in love with these colourful placemats made of banana fibre and with natural dyes, and there were two adorable white kittens in the shop too. I wanted to get a lot more than what my budget allowed for at the time, will def go back next time!

Visited July 2011
2 Thank kirsmu
Brisbane, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“They do online & international delivery!”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My friends raved about this shop when they were in Luang Prabang so I decided to check out their website. It’s so pretty that I ordered some gorgeous (and cheap!) gifts for my friend’s baby. Staff were very prompt and helpful with my purchase and I was able to pay using PayPal. It arrived in Australia within the specified time and everything was exactly how it looked on the website. Highly recommend buying online from this great place!

Visited May 2011
3 Thank xang11
Stavanger, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“superb, useful, helpful, genuine.”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

A very nice shop indeed ! They offer a wide range of products, all made in Laos, by Lao people (unlike some other shops nearby…) I do recommend a visit, and as for me, I will surely visit their website regularly (again)
I bought my souvenirs, and presents for friends or relatives there. Felt proud the money I spent would reach the villages I couldn't visit.
The people are friendly, helpful (some speak French too !) and they explain their project well, which make you felle like an intelligent tourist ! Not bad !

Visited February 2011