“Value for money fulfilled!”

Oudomsouk Guest House
Ranked #175 of 267 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed there for one night on recommendation of friends. The first room, nicely appointed, had a unmaintained air-conditioning which started to sputter ice at midnight.
With no problem the room was changed. Both rooms beautifully appointed, quiet, friendly. For motorised travellers it is noteworthy that parking is simply nowhere available. Brekky is served anywhere around the guesthouse alley in one of those countless coffeeshops and if you follow up the lane and turn right you're spot on with Joma bakery.
Anytime again, LAK 120'00 well spent!

Room Tip: Take a room on the upper floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Oudomsouk Guest House

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I must of made a mistake when originally looking up this guesthouse because I only saw excellent reviews on here (I assume I must of clicked on a different place). If I had seen all the negative reviews about theft I probably would not have stayed at Oudomsouk. However, with all that said, I did stay here for two nights (booked with Agoda) and never had anything stolen. I gave them ample opportunity since I initially left my bags in their office while waiting for the room to be ready, and left valuables in the room on numerous occasions.

The room itself was decent. It was clean and had tasteful decor, a good A/C, hot water, etc. My only complaint is that the bed was somewhat uncomfortable (very firm and slightly lumpy) and the room had tiny ants that got into everything.

The staff were very friendly and helpful for my entire stay. The location was good as well; it is situated near the river on a small street full of other guest houses and a couple blocks from the night market and main touristy area.

Overall I had a good experience at this guest house. The reason for the average rating is that I paid around 200,000 kip for the room and when comparing it to other guesthouses in the area it seems a bit high for what I got. Hopefully the days of theft are over, but I would still advise using caution if you stay here (just in case).

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Shawn_Storm
Reviewed September 16, 2013

It seems as if the owners have added security measures since some of the past reviews. There are now cameras all over the property and safety boxes in the room. I stayed here a while back when these things weren't there. It's a decent little guesthouse, great location right in the center of Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank aaronasia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here in late August 2013. My Son & I looked at just about every property in this street and OudomSouk was the one with the best rooms.

I had no idea about the thefts mentioned by others, but took my normal precautions with money/valuables (NEVER left in the room) and did not have a problem. (Watery days required waterproof bags.)

There was a "toy" (clearly insecure) room safe, which I ignored and a laughable wooden drawer with a lock. I wouldn't trust either with anything more valuable than dirty socks..

Oudom Souk is in a good position, around 50m from the (Mekong) riverside road and around 5 minutes walk from the night market.

The sheets were clean, the A/C worked, the shower was good. No hassles. All for around US$15 a night.

Room Tip: Our room was upstairs. I'd guess that downstairs could be more noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank howardmendesdacosta
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

What a shame to read so many negative reports about thefts from the rooms at this great value for money guest house. We spent one week here in July and had no idea there was a theiving problem from the rooms until reading other peoples reviews. We can only hope the management has done something to rectify this problem as it makes it difficult to reccomend the guest house which has clean rooms, white sheets, comfortable beds, flat screen tv and everything you need for a comfortable stay. We paid 100000kip for a double room with AC.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank woowoo68
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We never asked for our room to be cleaned, we kept the door locked and our money in a bag with locks on it. However after our third night, of a lovely stay, we counted our money, my partner had our money in seperate envelopes and noticed that we were each missing a chunk of our Australian dollars, as well as some USD, and jewlery, which I had taken off for our trip to the waterfall. We were flying out that morning, but requested to speak to the manager, we waited for him to arrive, but when he drove up, in a nice car and gold chain mind you, he ripped into us telling us how its not his problem and he is not responsible. The only conclusion we can come to is that the hotel and the owner is a part of the theft. We made a police report, but what else can we do. A horrible way to ed a beautiful trip in Luang Prabang. But don't let one bad egg spoil an otherwise beautiful town. BE WARNED!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I arrived to LP and mapped out a few places to stay based on TA reviews. Oudom Souk was NOT one of the places we planned to stay. We were approached by an elderly woman on an alley behind Joma Bakery to look at Oudom Souk. We took a look and the room was nice and clean with a/c for 100,000 (we bargained for 90,000) per night. We liked the guesthouse, but didn't decide on it right away. After looking at other guesthouses we came back and booked a room for 6 nights.

Our stay was going great until day 4 when I was approached by the receptionist and asked if we wanted our room cleaned. Since our room hadn't been cleaned yet I decided to have it done. Immediately the girl replied, well now I need you to pay for your stay as well, which was 540,000 kip ($70 USD). I gave her the key to clean our room and we went to get kip from the ATM to pay for our stay. The next morning my husband counted his USD that was in a money belt in our room and he originally had $196 and now only had $126 ($70) missing, exact price of our room. He had $70 stolen!

If you read the other theft reviews about this GH you will notice a pattern: other currencies besides kip are taken because travelers don't pay close attention to counting it everyday because USD/EUROS are not used in Laos. So, travelers aren't noticing missing money until it is too late, for example in a different part of Laos. Another common thing the thieves are doing is only taking some of your money so it's not immediately noticeable. Your belongings and money are not safe here, even in the locked drawer in the room. There are 3 housekeepers and likely receptionists in on the stealing, uncertain about management and exactly which people or persons are thieves. Also, when we tried to meet with management a gentlemen finally came (after we were told he couldn't bc he was busy). The man did not let us speak hardly at all, he just lectured us on not having common sense by leaving valuables in the room (right we should not have), but he took no responsibility or accountability for the theft. We tried to explain these crimes keep happening and his response was that people lie in trip advisor. By the end of the conversation he was frustrated and told us he wasn't actually the manager and he was tired of talking to us. Still would like to know who the "real" owner is if this place.

We tried to get our money back by speaking to reception as well as meeting with management. The only way we can help this situation is to put out as many warnings as we can to avoid this guesthouse. Hopefully, you check trip advisor before staying here!

• Stayed: May 2013