“They stole my daughter's iPhone! from the room!”

Oudomsouk Guest House
Ranked #171 of 261 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Tel Aviv, Israel
“They stole my daughter's iPhone! from the room!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Don't stay here, and if you do - don't leave anything in the room, even for a few minutes. They stole my daughter's iPhone and would not take responsibility for it.
And also there was no electricity in the room last night, which was bad, but nothing compared to the stolen iPhone.
Beware!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank MirM63

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
Toronto, ON
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Money was taken from our bag when we went for breakfast. We counted our money when we arrived at the hotel. We hid our money in a few spots. When we came back the large bills were removed from one of the spots. They leave some money so that it could go unnoticed. Since we found out at the hotel we were able to complain to the manager. We got our stay free which covered some of the money missing. The manager didn't seem surprised when we informed him and we heard others complaining that someone went through their bags, which leads me to believe these things happen a lot.

The staff was very friendly and the hotel was nice. I was very disappointed that such a thing would happen there. Don't leave money unattended at Oudom souk for even the smallest amount of time. There are lots of options around I would skip Oudom souk all together!

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank Chanty22

Travelers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We changed guesthouse today because of stealing staff. So we come to Oudomsouk. Nice rooms. Checked in and left for breakfast. We where gone about 2 hours. Thank god we didint leave cash in the room. All our bags had been searched. I told the staff what had happened. They give you the "me no english". 5min later a neighbour comes knocking and says she heard me talking to the staff. 40 usd had been stolen from her room.

Nice guesthouse but sad that the staff are criminals.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mikko W
Gibsons, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Do not stay here. For a few days in later part of October 2012 I stayed in the Oudomsouk Guest House. On the afternoon of October 27th 2012 I visited the Kuang Sii Waterfall. As there were no secure facilities at the falls for valuables, I asked a member of the staff at the Guesthouse if I could put my money belt in a safe, but was told that one did not exist at the Guesthouse. I was then left with the unpalatable choice of either taking my money belt with me to the falls where it would not be in my possession when I went swimming, or leaving it in my room (No 2) at the Guesthouse. I chose the latter alternative as there was a draw with key in the table in the room. I locked the money belt in the draw, removed the key and locked the room before going to the falls. When I checked the contents of the money belt a few days later there was at least 200 $ US missing. I cannot conclusively prove that the money was stolen on the 27th but the money belt had been on me, or in a room with me, or in a locked safe in the Thavisouk Hotel (Vang Vieng) since I left Canada. I suspect that after informing me that a safe was not available at the Guesthouse the staff member was probably aware that there was a good chance that valuables would be left in the room. In fact another two guests suspected that they lost about 100 pounds from their room on the same day. All this seems to indicate something more than an opportunistic crime may have occurred.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Barry R
derbyshire
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Ok stay, comfortable rooms, clean and great location. The service was very confusing, when asking how much it was to stop the 2nd night each member of staff said a different price but overall ok. Just stopped one night.

• Stayed April 2012
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed here over the last couple of days and thought it was an ok place until we got to our next destination to pay for a tuk tuk, only to find that money had been stolen from my purse. We ended up staying here after we were dropped off from our journey from Vang Vieng, having not booked anywhere in advance, and the lady stopped us as we were walking down the alley to take us to check out her guest house. On first appearances it looked ok, bed and bathroom seemed clean and we went with it for the first night despite not knowing anything about the place. And all in all the stay was ok (although the bathroom turned out to be pretty dirty and smelly, but bearable) until we realised what had happened. I have read reviews about this kind of thing before and thought it was a bit of an over reaction until it happened to me. I kept everything locked up the whole time we stayed there (3 nights) but on the morning we went to check out we went out for about an hour to have breakfast and that must be when they took the money as I had checked it only the night before and it was all still there. I would not recommend anyone to stay here as I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Frances N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights in May 2011. The narrow, leafy, guesthouse-lined street on which the Oudomsouk is situated was not indicated in my guidebook. After previously checking in at another, more expensive guesthouse I happened upon it, and the low rates that the competition here seems to have brought about. As it was low season I was able to get a price per night of 80,000 kip (around $10) for this room with full facilities including air-con, TV and free wi-fi.

The room in all respects was very good, with comfortable bed, a handy bedside cabinet and a good, hot shower. The dimmer switch operation of the lights was a surprising nice touch for this price-range. The room had a window, though some might not like the window being behind the headboard of the bed (not sure if all the rooms are like this).

Service wasn't bad for a family-run guesthouse - sometimes the staff could have been more attentive and considerate. There aren't many facilities offered by reception; use other guesthouses or shops. I booked a tuk-tuk to the airport through a different guesthouse on the same street.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo