“Very bad lesson good recipe book ”

Tamnak Lao Cooking School
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We were really upset after the evening course. I totally agree with the last persons review. The Aussie lady was clearly repeating a script she reads everyday! The two chefs were terrible they just didn't want to be there. They rushed through the dishes and then sat drinking beer and talking on their phones not even willing to help. We have been to lots I good cooking lessons and this one is very bad. The food is ok but not worth 20 dollars! Go to tamarind it's much better! However the cook book they give you is good....

There are newer reviews for Tamnak Lao Cooking School

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We booked an evening class because Tamarind was already full for cooking classes. An Aussie woman booked the course, and she was quite rote in the explanation of what to expect in the class. We had hoped that she was just having a bad day, but the course instructors had the exact same tired, non-engaging demeanor as they taught the dishes. As others have described, the instructors rushed through the 4 dishes that they were demonstrating (thankfully, the dishes are not too complicated, so can be replicated based on the cookbook that is provided). Participants are then expected to recreate 2 dishes of your own choice without any further input by the instructors, and they do not walk around to help at all. Despite the lacks of input, the recipes are well written, the food is delicious, and it was fun engaging wtih other participants.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Food we made was excellent, lots of Lao dishes, but nothing else about the experience was particularly special. You need to be comfortable in the kitchen already, very little hands on instruction from the chefs, they just demo each dish quickly. Missed the fun environment of other classes I have taken. Nice to have the recipe book so I can make the good again at home though. Would have prefered Tamarind's class, but it was full - book that one in advance instead.

1  Thank blu_sprks
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We thought that should be a good experiece and we were really disappointed. The two cook were really stressed, they were not listenig to our questions, and really not friendly...we didn't learn anything. At the end of the course we sat down with 2 other ladies and started to eat but 2 minutes after they were telling us to hurry up finish the meal we had cooked......and the price is really really to high....and it was our 24 december meal.....c'est du vol

1  Thank muriel j
Reviewed April 27, 2013

On a recent trip through south east Asia I researched and booked cooking classes in as many countries as possible - Tamnak Lao was my class in Laos. I would say I'm a fairly experienced cook but I am always keen on expanding my repertoire especially in regards to learning how to prepare a variety of south east Asian dishes.

Due to time constraints I took part in the evening cooking class. I was sorely disappointed. As others have said the instructors of this class were disinterested and un-engaging. The main instructor rarely smiled and his cooking presentation was a whirlwind of ingredients without a pause to full explain anything. When it came time for people to cook I discovered that participants not only had to share a cooking station but actually made the 2 dishes together as opposed to what is advertised on the website (on one page it states "Cook 2 dishes yourself" - on another page it says you'll make 3 dishes). When we broke into pairs one instructor disappeared and the other cleaned the front station - neither approached the students to offer advice or feedback. I mentioned that I felt uncomfortable asking for any guidance from the instructors due to their demeanor and the people around me concurred.

At $20 for a 2 1/2 hour class - extremely pricey for such a mediocre class that actually ended a full hour early. The only highlight of the class was that I met a variety of interesting travelers and had a lovely chat with people from all over the world - a welcome event for a solo traveler.

This cooking class also had me question some of the "vegetarian" offerings on the menu of the restaurant. The instructor made a dipping sauce which was part of my meal the night before and a central ingredient to the sauce was fish sauce.

Out of all the cooking classes I have taken, not just this trip but many others, I would rank this class at the bottom due to the presentation of the class, misrepresentation of what you would make and disinterested instructors.

4  Thank Miss C