“No booking system - staff don't seem to care about the classes at the restaurant.”

Tamnak Lao Cooking School
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I tried booking at the restaurant twice for classes. The waiter just told me to show up at 9:30 the next day and said the same thing later that day. When i showed up the next day, they decided not to conduct classes as they didn't know there were people coming.
I am quite disappointed as it was my last day at Luang Prabamg and i was really looking forward to the class.
For the ammount of flyers they put out, how hard is it to keep a booking log and your staff informed of the services you offer?

2  Thank Devo747

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I agree with the previous comment about disinterested staff and the lack of assistance. Like wise we have done cooking classes in at least 3 other Asian countries and this was the worst. The instructors (and I use the term loosely) were not at all helpful . They demonstrated 4 dishes at a million miles an hour and then we could taste and choose which 2 we would make to share between 2. I mistakenly bit into a chilli thinking it was a green vegetable, and was totally ignored by the staff as I gagged and gasped for breath. Other participants assisted me. During the cooking off our dishes there was no assistance and the whole evening episode was over in about 1.5 hours. At $ 20 per head it's not that great a value as for this money you can have food and drinks for 4 people at any restaurant in town.

2  Thank Heliconnia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We enjoyed our class immensely. We were in a group of about 12 people, all from various places, and between the cook's instructions, and our fun group, we had a really great experience. I don't understand all of the negative reviews; we had a great time. Just sharing with our fellow cooks, we got some great tips for the rest of our trip, which really enriched our vacation. We met interesting people learned about traditional Lao ingredients during the market visit, and learned traditional dishes and techniques. We got a cookbook when we were done with the dishes we made and some more.

We ended up taking 3 more cooking classes on our month-long vacation, one in each country. Each was different, and each was excellent. I recommend taking cooking classes, and I will do this again, no matter where we go. It was a great experience, and I highly recommend this. We did try to take the class at Tamarind, and they were full. However, I have recommended Tamnak Lao to many other travelers we met.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've done many cooking classes in Asia and this was without doubt the worst. Very impersonal. The staff just wanted to quickly show us what to do then leave us to our own devices. Very little guidance. No formal introduction. No laughs. We had to wait 10 minutes for another two people to show and while we were waiting there was no communication from the teachers. So unfriendly. Occasionally laughed amongst themselves. I did the evening course, total waste of money. Was just made to feel awkward. So frustrating as cooking classes have the potential to be so much fun. Learnt nothing. Would not recommend.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I did the cooking course at Tamnak Lao Cooking School in September 2012 and it was seriously fantastic. Admittedly I was the only person attending the course that day - the two chefs were very attentive, the visit to the market was fascinating and the food delicious and generous in the serving sizes. I'd highly recommend this school.