“Not low price but worth to spend more”
Review of Villa Nagara

Villa Nagara
Ranked #34 of 268 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I spent 2 nights there. This small hotel had only 6-7 rooms and was converted from the reserved/antique house.

Room condition: The room had very stylish decoration and was very clean. The bath room had a rain shower. I like the water pressure. Every thing functioned well. The shower gel and shampoo were spa/aroma grade.

Location: It is very close to the town center or night market, just one block but it was in the quieter part of the town. The location was perfect for me because I could go to my room to take a quick shower or take a nap in the middle of the day.

Breakfast & Free mini bar: The breakfast itself was OK for me. You could select from the fixed menu. Nonetheless, where to have a breakfast made a huge difference. I love the atmosphere of the river-side restaurant. It was very relaxing and refreshing to start the day. For free mini bar, Loa beers were also included.

SO-SO

Service: The services at the hotel were good. However, I had a hard time contacting this hotel. I had sent an email to ask a question but had not got any response. Maybe it was the line/technical problem.

Free Bike: It would be better if the bike were better maintained. Some were good while others needed a repair. (I got a flat-tire bike once) Please check a bike when you pick a bike.

DISLIKE

In-room safe: No in-room safe. Not convenience at all to go the reception to drop your value belongings.

CONCLUSION

Although Villa Nagara was in the middle-high price range for Luangprabang, I really enjoyed my time there. It was worth to spend more to stay in Villa Nagara.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Chanika

Reviewed October 14, 2011

The rooms are allright, the location is fine, but for the price they are charging I was expecting a whole lot more. Furthermore I was stupid enough to hand in 1kg of laundry and by check out they charged me $7 for that. Had a discussion about it with the front desk people, but unfortunately, they hardly speak any English. To be fair, the housekeeping and breakfast staff are very friendly.
Lotus villa and some other hotels in Luang Prabang aren't cheap either, but at least they offer some value for money.
In case you decide to book it anyway, bring a google maps print with you cause for some reason you won't find a tuktuk driver that knows where it is.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 14, 2011

This hotel has to be one of the most charming properties we've stayed at. A french colonial style house with just 7 rooms(each done up in a different color scheme) and a lovely river side cafe (where breakfast is served), this hotel made our stay at heavenly Luang Prabang even better! We LOVED that they had a free mini bar (which stocks coke, beerlao and water) and free bicycles that residents can use.
The service was good, efficient and polite. The hotel is located on the Nam kha river away from the noise of the main street but the main street is just a 3 minute walk away. So the location is ideal. The bathroom is a little small but pretty room more than makes up for that! There are of course many similar properties (french colonial houses converted to hotels) all over Luang Prabang but we highly recommend this hotel for its location and its freebies!

Room Tip: We stayed in the standard room but the rooms with the attached balconies/sit out are larger and have...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nkswami
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I would have rated this hotel a 5 star. I should be generous and do so. Perhaps it deserves it. If i could, it would be 4.5.

The Villa Nagara is in the perfect location, on the riverside of the Nam Khan, the best place to be, close to restaurants and market but not in the middle of all that. The hotel itself is cool, well decorated and thought out. The only point is the service - nobody speaks English. They are friendly, but this hotel is too expensive to not be able to ask a question or two. So - 4.5.

In terms of rooms, I had the best in the place, on the second floor, with balcony and windows onto the river. Other rooms are less attractive - my colleague was in a windowless room off the lobby. The room I was supposed to be in was also off the lobby, ground floor. So luckily I was upgraded. The room was big, amazing view, two free beers and two free cokes in the fridge each day! They specifically pointed that out to me, and I must admit it is an amenity I have never before run across. Also - have a beer at the bar next door - I think it is called the Blue Ice - their happy hour is quite reasonable and things pick up a bit later.

Pros - Location location locat.... Nice room, if you get one of the right ones. Well done, decorated nicely. Breakfast at the hotel's riverbank cafe.

Cons - Expensive vs other guest houses and B&Bs. You need to get one of the good rooms for it to be worth it. No English.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I was in Southeast Asia for a month this summer, and Villa Nagara in Luang Prabang was my favorite hotel/guesthouse of the trip.

Location is fantastic- this place is a small historic building (completely remodeled) sitting on the Nam Khan river. It's just around the corner from the main street in Luang Prabang and a five minute walk to the night market.

We booked a standard room online, which ended up to be about $50 off the rack rate-- one of the many perks to traveling in Laos during low season! The room and guesthouse was exactly as pictured on their website- ultra modern, clean, completely new furnishings, just beautiful decor.

Our room had two single beds pushed together, a tv with plenty of channels, free (!) mini-bar stocked with Beer Lao, bottled water, and sodas. The bathroom was small, but still really nice- plenty of hot water, rainbath showerhead, and specially made organic herbal shampoos and soaps for use.

In the small lobby downstairs, there's a computer with internet that you can use for free. The staff (consisting mostly of young men) were incredibly accomodating and the manager even let me use his personal laptop when there was an issue with the computer! They also were great with helping me store luggage while I made a trip up north (didn't matter that I was staying elsewhere on my return).

Free breakfast is served on their little platform balcony overlooking the Nam Khan river. We loved this-- so peaceful in the morning and breakfast was delicious- you can choose eggs, fruits, coffee/tea, baguette, and the best fresh-squeezed orange juice ever. Definitely top notch.

Another perk of the place is their have some really cute old-school bikes out front that you can borrow for free to explore Luang Prabang. We had the best time dropping our gear into the bike baskets and heading off to visit the numerous temples, ride along Mekong river, and stop for a bite to eat on our way home. Given the lack of traffic, LP is great city for some leisurely cycling.

We really loved this little guesthouse- everything from location to the rooms to the staff is incredible. If you can get a room here during the rainy season (which really wasn't that rainy), the place is an insanely good bargain as well.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Cintagreen
Reviewed June 10, 2011

First up I need to get the bias out of the way; I turn on the tv upon arrival and the Saints v Doggies are live - awesome! 46 other channels buy the way and I note something not available in hotels in Australia (apparently a first world country). Very good location riverside and only a 1 minute walk from the main drag. Only 8 rooms and this really contributes to the guesthouse feel albeit quite high end. Heaps of character with liberal use of recyled wood. Handful of complimentary Coke, beer and water is a nice touch, as is the functional and free wifi. Staff pleasant but a little tough to communicate with. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank StewWoodend
Reviewed May 19, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed this small, cute hotel. The building had a lot of character and charm, but the rooms were very modern, nicely decorated, and clean. Drinks provided in the mini-bar were free and breakfast was western style made to order. Location on the river was also very nice, Luang Prabang is small enough you can walk everywhere. The hotel also provided free use of bikes but we didn't get a chance to use them. The only negatives are that the staff's English was a bit limited, but they were extremely friendly and nice. Also reception locks the front door at 11pm so if you plan to stay out later you have to make arrangements for someone to stay to let you back in. We had a difficult time finding the hotel as we arrived by shared tuk tuk to the city centre. Nobody we asked knew it by name or the address so best you print a Google map to help you find the way. Laos, especially Luang Prabang was totally amazing, I only regret not having more time to relax there!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends