“Nice place, but could be improved”
Review of Thida Guesthouse

Thida Guesthouse
Ranked #166 of 268 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The room was nice and spacious, with a big bed, tv, nice bathroom with a ‘rain shower’ and free tea and coffee. We had breakfast here a couple of times and it was good. Whilst we were here there were a few issues such as the internet not working for over a day and at one point there was no water in our bathroom. When we went down the staff were aware of the problem and did fix the water, but we decided to just visit one of the nice cafes in town for wifi. The lad that was working there was friendly but didn’t always seem to understand what we were asking him. We booked online in advance because we didn’t want to arrive late without a hotel, and because of this felt we paid a bit too much, but ended up extending our stay at a cheaper rate once we got there. It was a 5 minute walk to the main street that has the night market on, and even less to Wat Xieng Thong. Luang Prabang was such a lovely town to stay in and we inevitably ended up staying here longer than planned.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in February. The room was clean, large with a good bathroom. It has good a/c, adequate TV, a good bed with mosquito net. The management is pleasant. Breakfast is served outside each morning and made to order. No bugs, as a previous reviewer complained of.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This place has a great owner and very friendly staff. Very good location with bicycles to rent.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dowzy1234
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The good: Location, room size, owner friendliness (even if clueless). Had it not been for the issues mentioned below, this would have been a perfectly lovely place to stay. I'm assuming not all experiences at Thida are like this (and judging from the other reviews, they are not). And again, the owners really are friendly.

Thida started out great. My room, #5, (the first of two, unfortunately) was nothing fancy, but adequately spacious, clean, etc. The premises of the hotel are nice, and the location (about the middle of the peninsula) was great. Lots of great shopping, restaurants, and cafes within easy walking distance of the guesthouse.

The bad: During my first night's stay (of six), someone unlocked my door and walked in! It was one of the staff, checking to see if anyone was checked in to that room. It scared the s*** out of me. The owners apologized, but I couldn't understand their reasoning for why it happened. Why didn't they know someone was staying in that room? The next few days were fine, except that next door, there is construction. LOUD construction which starts everyday around 7am. Woke me up...everyday.

The ugly: On my second to last day, I had gone to bed, turned out the lights, and was watching a bit of TV before going to sleep. After around 10 minutes, I felt something crawling on my arm. I brushed it off, thinking nothing of it. A second later, I felt something crawling on me again. I got up, turned on the lights, and couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was as if something had hatched in my room. There were water flies EVERYWHERE. ALL over the bed, next to my bed on the floor, and even along the walls. All within what could not have been 15 minutes from turning out the lights! There were also squished ones on the bed and my pillow, which means I had been lying on them and they were in my hair. I'm not a "girly girl," but this was too much. I got one of the managers. He looked curiously at the swarming flies, and simply said, "Hmmm. We've never had this before." Then he said, "Do you want to change rooms?" I was shocked! Did I want to change rooms?! There were bugs ALL OVER MY BED, and crawling all over the floor and walls. What a question! In fairness, he kindly took me to another room (bigger, with mosquito net, #3), and that was that (no apology). The next day, the owner said, "How do you like the new room? It's very nice, isn't it?" I replied that, yes, it was very nice, but my other room had been just fine, minus the bugs. She asked, "What bugs?" Sigh.

Room Tip: Minus the bugs issue, my room (#5) was fine. Good A/C, with fan. Very comfortable, in fact. No nat...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank grandave
Reviewed February 13, 2012

There are positives and negatives about this place. Location first, Thida is around 20 minutes' stroll from the heart of Luang Prabang, and 20 metres from the Mekong. Its location means that the area is generally quiet, give or take the building work going on nearby. Getting to Thida from the place where the "slow boats" drop you is a 400 meter walk. Its location is also 10 meters from the route along which the monks make their famous dawn walk.

Our room was a bit dark, with no views at all. It had a good fan, poor aircon, no bednet and a functioning but quirky shower. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were hard and bulky. The hotel's wi-fi was intermittent in our room, but better downstairs. There is a pc for free use, but broadband speed was sometimes very slow.

Breakfast European-style was minimal and unchanging; bread, jam, some fruit, and an omelette for those who wanted one. We also saw some guests eating Laos food, which we hadn't been told was available. Coffee was instant; even a pot of Laos coffee  was  well beyond Thida.

As in all guesthouses, it's the people running it who make (or spoil) it. The owner and his helpers at Thida seemed to us to exist in some kind of Laos chill-out space. They were so disengaged with their customers that it was hard to remember they were actually running a business! The building, our aircon, the wifi and broadband, and the breakfast service all needed upgrading, and when we came to checkout we could have left without paying, because the owner thought we had pre-paid with Agoda. And I had to tell him the rate he was charging me! But after four days at Thida we had grown used to its ways, and I wasn't a bit surprised.

The cost of Thida was actually the main negative here. We were charged kip220k per night, which was too much for what was provided, even allowing for prices in Luang Prabang, which are a bit higher than in the rest of Laos. Thida therefore represented poor value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank grey.dave
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We are currently staying at this guesthouse. It is more "guesthouse" than hotel. Yesterday we had to wait a little in the reception before someone came. That is not a bad thing though :)
The room is spotless clean and with the usual amenities: Tv, AC, fan, mosqito net (not that we use it) and alright bathroom. Not fridge though.
All in all it is good value for money compared to some of the other and way more expensive alternatives in town. It is placed just behind the building closest to the riverfront (Mekong River) and there is no noise here. Everything in LP is within walking distance so location is alright. We booked through agoda.com.
Breakfast was quite simple with omelet, tea, bread and some uncut fruit. Nothing fancy but sufficient :)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Accommodations in Luang Prabang are more expensive than most of the rest of the countries in SE Asia. Spent the first 2 full days of our 6 day visit to Luang Prabang in January 2012 visiting every guest house that could accommodate 3 persons/family in one room. Thida Guesthouse had the best rate ($30 including breakfast for all 3). On top of that the room and bath are perfect, in fact I think they have recently done some remodeling because it looked like a brand new room (#9 downstairs).
Bathroom is spacious with nice hot water "rain" shower. Some rooms have mosquito netting but ours did not. Nonetheless none of us got any bites from mozzies, although we did see a few flying around the room at times. They didn't seem aggressive at all; perhaps they become more active when the weather is hotter. While the room initially smelled a bit musty (stones throw from the Mekong after all) there is a strong, quiet exhaust fan that circulated fresh air right away. All rooms have air con but we never even turned it on.
Location was fine for us. Perhaps 5-7 minute walk away from the night market further out along the peninsula, surrounded by lovely guesthouses and tons of restaurants. We ate like kings every night in LP for around $10 for the 3 of us, which included at least 3 big bottles of Lao beer with each meal. The food in LP was very good, but then we ate local food every meal. Close to Thai but not nearly as spicey. I swear I could eat the grilled chicken on a stick with sticky rice every day without complaint! Curries were very good as well though not as spicey as we like - but loads of flavor and just right for those who prefer less spice than the full-on Thai variety..
Like I said earlier Thida is perhaps 25 steps away from the river which can be seen from the front porch which is where breakfast is served. Quiet, friendly helpful staff (especially Choi). All in all I have no reservations with recommending Thida Guesthouse. Would have given it top marks but there are better locations and nicer appointments (aren't there always?). Only wish they offered "real" coffee instead of instant.

Room Tip: Mosquito netting in some of the rooms is a romantic (and perhaps practical) touch.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family