“Outstanding”

The Luang Say Residence
Ranked #1 of 68 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed October 28, 2011

This hotel would normally be a bit out of our price range, but we picked up a great promotional package including a two day cruise up the Mekong for a very reasonable price. We were in an Exploratuer Suite which was directly above the front desk and the warmth and ambiance of the room and the superb comfort made for a very enjoyable stay. There was a huge king size bed for my wife and I, as well as a very comfortable single for our son and the room still felt in no way crowded. The bathroom was large and lavish, and the suite also had three separate balconies.
The package included a four coarse dinner which was presented exquisitely and included the chef introducing himself to us. On the subject of food, if you have breakfast in this hotel, I recommend the eggs benedict. It is probably the best food I have ever tasted.
The gardens are fresh and lush and it is hard to imagine that this place only opened in Feb. this year.
But the thing that elevated this hotel from very good to brilliant was the quality of the staff. Their freindliness and courtesy and warmth, as well as their outstanding level of service made our stay at Luang Say Residence one of the features of our South-East Asian holiday.

Room Tip: Recommend the Mekong cruise
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 21, 2011

As modern design lover I was quite afraid I would not like the place but could not resist a very good deal offered by hotel self so I went... And I really was surprised. I guess Luang Prabang is the place where modern architecture does not really fit and so Luang Say residence did a great job with their colonial styled villas. It is out of center but with free bikes provided by hotel you are in center in less than 10 minutes. The gardens are nicely done, nice swimming pool and the rooms are spacious and very cosy. Huge bathroom with rain shower. All modern things like tv, wifi were working perfectly. Loved little surprises left during turndown service. The only complain on room would be loud airconditioning, not a light sleeper but it is as mentioned before quite noisy.
The breakfast was very good. I tried asian dishes, as well european. Perfect eggs, delicious croisants....One of the best breakfasts during this trip.
Hotel staff very friendly, helpfull maybe a little bit shy but in general Lao people are a little bit shy...
Definately the place to come back! Thanks guys for service and good luck!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The total is more than the sum of all of the parts. As a result, there is something very special about the Luang Say Residence. First, let me say that each of the parts of the hotel is wonderful in its own right. The Pioneer Suite was spacious with dark wood floors; an incredibly comfortable king-sized bed with pillows that my wife and I wanted to bring home with us; plenty of drawers and closet space so we could unpack and feel at home; and a very large, two-sink bathroom with lots of counter space and drawers to hide our toiletries. The grounds were absolutely beautiful, replete with banana trees, palm trees, flowers, and other indigenous plants. Similarly, the swimming pool was beautiful and well maintained. The restaurant where we had our breakfast each morning outside on the veranda was lovely. Speaking of breakfast, instead of the buffet breakfast common in Southeast Asia, we had our choice of several items from a menu. Each of the items we sampled was accompanied by a fruit plate, a basket of tender pastries, and coffee or tea. The appearance and quality of the food was excellent.

While all of these elements were outstanding, I must say that they were surpassed by a staff that was warm, gracious, professional, and efficient. It didn’t matter whether you came into contact with the front desk staff, those serving breakfast, those cleaning the room, or anyone else working at the hotel, you were always greeted as if you were a member of their family. Furthermore, having been around the block a few times, I could tell that this cordiality and friendliness was sincere and not forced.

While not a drawback to my wife and me, you should be aware that the hotel is away from the town center. Depending on our mood or the time of day, my wife and I either made the 20-25 minute walk, or took the hotel shuttle or a very inexpensive tuk-tuk.

Oops, I almost forgot. Ordinary turn down service is not enough for the Luang Say Residence. Every evening when we returned to the room there was a little “surprise” waiting for us. One night there were a few pieces of chocolate and a card telling something about the chef. Another night there was a small clay elephant with a note about a staff member whose village is known for pottery, while on another evening a tiny knit cap was left with information about a staff member whose village is known for weaving.

Luang Say Residence! What a special place!

1  Thank pjlv07b
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Luang Prabang has always been for me a great escape from our modern cities. It is like traveling in the past, living an adventure, being a character from an history book..
During my last trip to this city, i stayed in Luang Say Residence for the first time. When I stayed in these residence, I just felt like entering in "the time machine".
All about what i imagined concerning the architecture from the Indochina period, is there..
Details have been restituted with an extreme precaution.
But it is not only the design and the architecture, service was very close to perfect and food was great !
During my last night, i had a few cocktails in the bar and felt like Marguerite Duras and Andre Malraux were there just before me..
Definitely, The Luang Say Residence is "A Time Machine" with the 21st century's comfort !

1  Thank stephanet921
Reviewed October 8, 2011

A little outside the town, which is walkable but with the tut tut's, courtesey bus and use of bike's not something that is an issue and given the quality of this hotel it is not really worth a mention, We found the rooms absolutely wonderful the size and comfort, the bed would be the most comfortable I have ever experienced in a hotel, each night at turn down a gift is left on yr bed which is a nice touch and something I looked forward to, Staff and service is excellent with the Chef introducing himself which I also thought was a nice touch, never had this happen to me before. Breakfasts well a nice change to the buffet style with your choice from a menu and eggs benedict would be the best I have tasted. We missed out on what other guests had arranged and that was a two night trip down the Mekong prior to arriving at the hotel. tip here is that the hotel can arrange this. Would definately return with the river trip in the planning next time. A great stay and a pretty special place.

1  Thank 330Jennifer
Reviewed October 8, 2011

This is an amazing hotel - first class restaurant & very caring staff who literally carried me around the hotel after hurting my ankle whilst on a sightseeing excursion. Such a beautiful & comfortable suite certainly speeds up the healing process. Would recommend suite 203 which has a balcony with mountain views. This hotel can also be booked as a package to include a 2 day Mekong River trip - highly recommended. Will definitely return to re-visit this lovely part of the world.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank traineebiggles
Reviewed October 5, 2011

This is a relatively new property, and it will soon be the top choice in Luang Prabang. The property and rooms are extraordinary. The staff was fantastic -- they even came to my room with a birthday cake and sang! We had some challenges upon check-in because the room was not what we booked, and the initial response from the staff was poor, but they got it resolved and I think this is just a growing pain since the hotel is new. I HIGHLY recommend this property, and book now before their rates start competing with Le Residence!!

1  Thank Lezwopeaks