Le Palais Juliana
Kiridara Luang Prabang(Luang Prabang)
$192
$63
$54
$46
  • Breakfast included
Le Sen Boutique Hotel(Luang Prabang)
$73
$68
$86
$79
$298
Belmond La Residence Phou Vao(Luang Prabang)
$380
All reviewsoutdoor jacuzzia small tour groupcity limitsasian hospitalityin townslice of paradiseroom service menufour startuk tukbeautiful hotelwonderful poolthe hotel shuttle busstaff were incredibly helpfulrestaurant staffwater liliesfree dinnerbreakfast buffet
Reviewed September 4, 2011

There would be our family yearly trip and this time of the year would be my mom's birthday so I choose something luxury for her and this place is completed their job!

Room was excellent, well decorate and bed is so nice. my mom never sleep well if she have to sleep on any trip but this place, this bed, made her fall sleep until 11 AM and I have to wake her up!

Breakfast also lovely, variety, testy and the buffet line also refillable. I love that I can ask for unlimited cup of coffee and they just made it fresh in every cup.

Resort staff are really helpful, check in was perfect. We went to check in quite late (9 PM) and when we was there, they just mentioned that they are waiting for us and prepared everything since noon time. Everyone smile and recognize us even the security guard at the front gate.

The surround area are suitable for someone who looking for the privacy and apart for any noise of town, but resort charter car still available for all resort guest and it is free, only make sure that you wear a watch and not loose the time.

Wish I could come back when this town turn to winter season.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank alwaysdelay
Reviewed August 31, 2011

very nice hotel near city...our group travel around Luang Prabang by Bike. We have wonderful dinner at the Le Palais Juliana. My friend want to take them family to stay at Juliana this x'mas.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I really, really wanted to like this place - on the face of it this is a brave and exciting development the scale of which makes it easily identified from the air when flying home back over the city however there a number of issues to go along with the positives.

I had booked the airport transfer which I have to say was a good move, quite apart from the convenience and security of having reputable persons pick you up I’m not sure that there is another air-conditioned option open to you – not the end of the world as the 25 c was perfectly tolerable but I’m not sure I’d want to haul my luggage in a tuk tuk or a jitney.
On the subject of air conditioning you should be aware that none of the four public rooms in the hotel are air conditioned, the lobby, dining area, toilets and “library” (room with a sprinkling of staged books and no papers local or international) are all al fresco so if you want AC then your room is the only option.

My arrival at the hotel was excellent; I was checked in smoothly and greeted personally by the general manager. I had intended taking the periodic free shuttle bus to town so I dropped my bags in the room, locked the valuables in the safe and headed backed to reception, being time constrained I decided to go by Tuk Tuk Bt200 and save the hour instead (in the end it was closer to 45minutes as the Tuk Tuk had to come from town). Initial impressions were all extremely positive.
The return to the hotel was a little more eventful – I lost track of time and having missed the last shuttle bus resorted to a Tuk Tuk. Having agreed a price of 50,000 kip I was dropped at the end of the hotel roadway from any lighting/security. In order to see the money clearly I had to use the headlamp of the bike, this also has the huge downside of letting the driver see how money you have as well – luckily I’m not unaware of these ploys and operate a two pocket routine so there wasn’t enough to make trouble over but I did have to part with an undeservingly large tip (30,000) to avoid incident. A few yards down the path I saw the security man guarding his doorway – if the hotel reads this I’d advise them to actively intervene in future as continued shakedowns of their guests (I saw a previous review mention a knife) is not good for business – while for me as a well seasoned traveller this was business as usual (I was amused rather than scared), I could see that someone else may well have felt genuinely in danger (as indeed may have I had he seen the contents of my other pocket).
I arrived back in the lobby just after 10pm, the dining area was closed and as there is no bar or spa the option was my room or wait for the one internet computer in the mossy filled, non-air conditioned lobby - mmm tough choice…
Reaching my room I tried to order room service (advertised as till 11pm but kitchen closed), the mini bar offered me a choice of two beers but nothing else, so I was glad of the bananas and pear that had been left as a welcome and the bottled water (given the fridge was empty it would have been nice to store them their). The flat screen telly was a good size and offered a limited selection of channels.
I had a nice shower (great water pressure/toiletries) and then on leaving the shower began to notice some of the finishing flaws that began to sour me, this one was the wholesale flooding of the bathroom as a result of a badly designed/installed shower seal. Bed was very comfortable, room lighting was excellent, room a good size/design and the whole resort was dead silent = great nights sleep.

I woke up the next morning with a few extra mosquito bites (on closer inspection there was a substantial beam (crack would not do it justice) between the French door leading to the balcony overlooking the pool.
I ventured down to breakfast which despite being hungry made me glad that there had been no room service available the previous night. The milk had a weird taste and the homemade yoghurt was unusual if I can be charitable for a moment. Those with young children please note that milk does not seem to be a regularly stocked item in any of the local stores and popping down the 7-11 is not one of your options…very, very glad my wife and son sat this one out in Bangkok.

Decided to go for a quick dip in the huge pool; no question that the pool area is a big draw, it is pretty impressive but when swimming around I really began to notice more and more of the poor finishing/build quality that permeates the resort – tiling, grouting, plastering, painting, well lets just say everything – I can’t believe I’m typing this but it made Thai builders look like master craftsmen in comparison!

Check out/airport transfer was great.

To summarize;

Pro’s

• Nice design
• Very good room – shoddy finishing aside
• Good friendly service – room service aside
• Excellent pool
• Super quiet (location & very few guests)

Con’s

• Food is dreadful
• Location is useless (unless it’s as part of an organized tour), transport is being provided but this is very constraining and is only 4 times a day. You are about $8/15 minutes away from the center. (If the deal is honored!)
• The hotel is bereft of facilities/entertainment
• Poor finishing is so noticeable that it became a distraction

In conclusion I would not even begin to consider staying here again, the locational issues cannot be mitigated as there are no viable transport issues to ameliorate them. The hotel is in no way 5 stars, it is bereft of even the most basic services/amenities that would justify this. There are many better (and cheaper) options in town you owe it to yourself to pick one of them. As a takeaway to myself I’m going to be more diligent with regard to boutique hotels away from central locations in less well worn parts: their scale fails to attract complimentary infrastructure and if the hotel doesn’t provide it you're out of luck…

Some Luang Prabang thoughts;

• Bring a passport photo for the visa on arrival and some small bill dollars – if you don’t some ‘tea money’ is needed and you’ll get crucified on the exchange rate (more tea anyone?)
• I’d read that this is a Baht economy – absolute rubbish, while anyone will take Baht/Dollars they are meaningfully discounted (particularly heavily in the case of Baht). Credit cards are not widely used and where accepted often attract a 3% surcharge. Take plenty cash (good luck with the ATM’s if you can find one!) and change money when you get there. Be particularly conscious of what things cost, there are a fair number of players extracting the urine by pricing their offerings at full international prices (as in more expensive that Bangkok) when in reality the baseline is significantly less.
• The central tourist area is great to walk around with little traffic; I didn’t but should have considered renting a (push) bicycle.
• Bring what you need, I for one am often guilty of adopting the I have money I’ll buy what I need approach – be prepared for this trip unless you’re roughing it, this advice would go double if travelling with small children (normally I believe that they go where I go, this is a very rare exception I would not recommend, LPB straddles the gamut of developed enough to have chancers but not developed enough to provide normal services and in truth they will be bored)
• Switch on your phone to international roaming if required – Thai mobiles don’t automatically work here (it’s a separate country, not another minor province ☺)

I trust that this was helpful, enjoy!

Room Tip: Lower level have direct access to pool, upper level have a better view...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
12  Thank slj_10
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel is beautiful!, lovely rooms, luxurious pool & spa area, quiet and peaceful area away from the busy town. The staff are very friendly and the views are amazing!
The only thing I would say is the hotel prob needs more staff around the pool area as we were unable to order drinks poolside but other than that small point this hotel is beautiful a must stay if u are looking for a bit of luxury after a busy holiday!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank JodieM82
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 short nights and absolutely LOVED it. Our only regret is that we could not stay longer.

This is a fabulous hotel - new and still a work in progress (the spa is not yet open) - but do not worry about noise or construction. A lovely setting - just about a 10 minute tuk tuk ride from the centre of Luang Prabang.

The staff are wonderful - so helpful (we were running late for our plane so the front office staff member called the airport to let us know we were coming...we made the flight!). They serve fantastic coffees and breakfast is made to order so you get lovely fresh eggs benedict if you want!

Rooms are all stunning - I believe most look out onto the pool which is in itself a sight to behold. Also great for a cooling dip after having climbed Mount Pousi in the city centre!

They also offer free Wifi in the rooms (ask Front Desk for the password) and free wifi (no password needed) in the public areas.

Absolute value for money - we paid only USD85 per night (on Expedia) and it includes daily breakfast for 2. Some of the older villas in Luang Prabang charge up to USD150 per night and they would not have the great facilities of Le Palais Juliana (nor the power showers!). Plus I feel the best part of Le Palais is the wonderful silence....

We really hope to return one day soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool facing upper deck room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple