“Dinner under the stars at an excellent price”
Review of Roots & Leaves - CLOSED

Roots & Leaves
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I love the atmosphere of this restaurant. We have eaten there twice in the evening, one of which was new year's eve and, being open air, we were able to watch the beautiful light show from the floating lights across the sky in LPB. Both nights we were treated to the traditional music and dance show. The food was tasty, though be careful if you order the Mekong fish dishes which has lots of sharp bones, cut in a way that increases their danger! That said, the food was delicious. I found the staff to be very happy and friendly. The wine list could be improved, I didn't see any wine options but there are plenty of beers and cocktails on offer. I get the sense of a newish restaurant trying very hard and doing pretty well. And the value for money was amazing. We ordered al-carte and our shared meal was about $12 with beer! I felt they should have charged more. Recommended.

1  Thank 51KarenH

Reviewed December 9, 2013

My wife and I ate at this restaurant for lunch and we were just about the only people there. The restaurant has outdoor seating along side a lovely little pond with water lilies and tilapia. It was just about the best meal we have had in Laos. Our service was outstanding and my wife's fish was perfectly prepared. There seems to be a tendency in Laos to over cook meat, regardless of whether it is chicken, pork, or beef, so my meal was not outstanding, but it was tasty.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We ate here as it looked a fabulous setting with a water lily pond reflecting the performing show of local music and dance. The service however was mediocre and the food much the same. It was expensive for what we had, and was ok but not much more.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Great food and a really nice dinner show! Traditional Lao live music and dance. The place had a wonderful atmosphere, worth a visit, absolutely.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Roots and Leaves has a decent looking menu with reasonable prices. However we were disappointed, the food was not at all good seemingly using low quality ingredients and poor cuts of meat, indeed taking into account the poor quality in reality it becomes expensive as we left hungry and had to eat at another place also. Staff were also dis-interested. Generally it lacked atmosphere. Much cheaper / tastier place to get local food.

Date of visit: June 2013