“A fabulous hotel in a beautiful location!”

Luang Prabang View Hotel
Ranked #19 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
“A fabulous hotel in a beautiful location!”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

My family and I have just spent five days at the Shinta Mani and had a wonderful time. We are convinced that it is an unknown jewel that will eventually be full of guests. During our stay it was quiet and a few areas of the hotel are still to be completed. However, the location is breathtaking, the food excellent, the pool lovely, the rooms large, clean with excellent views and the wonderful staff could not have done more to make our stay special. I cannot praise it enough and would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the dedicated staff for all that they did for us. If you want somewhere special to stay you will not regret your decision to stay at the Shinta Mani!

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Misterbob6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Haarlem
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Shinta Mani is a extremely good hotel for its price. As architect I can say there is nothing to find like this in Laos / Luang Prabang. By its situation on the top of a small mountain top it has an amazing view over the village. By putting the big swimming pool on top of the mountain you have a 360 view while swimming. Just stunning!

The Rooms are perfect size. Not too big, defenitly not small. The rooms (half a house) has a big terras again with panoramic view. Our room had the Flatscreen with ipod dock (surround with bass box) and super nice kingsize bed. The bathroom is openable to the rooms, so you can watch tv of outside from the bathtub.

The personnel is super friendly (also because of Laos) and even booked our flighttickets. The hotel has free bikes to use, which is great in this small village.

Everything together it was an amazing stay in this 'europian' styled hotel. I can definitely recommend it to everybody! I would come back for sure!

Room Tip: Take a room with ipod dock and flatscreen tv! or one of the rooms with private swimmingpool ;)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank RemiVersteeg
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 23, 2011

This place is (as of summer 2011) still somewhat under construction. This means very good things for the prices - literally the rooms are a steal for what you get. Incredibly comfortable, clean and luxurious spaces.

The food at the restaurant (which can be served in room or by the pool) is wonderful. Menu is somewhat small, but everything is done delightfully well. LOVED the pumpkin soup and eggplant cream cheese sandwhich for lunch and the steak and salmon salad for dinner.

The best part about this place is the view - the best I have seen anywhere, ever. There is a full 360 degree view from INSIDE the infinity pool that looks out over the lovely Luang Prabang as well as the luscious surrounding countryside. Life doesn't get much better than watching the sun set over the mountains while sipping a refreshing cocktail in this gorgeous pool.

Definitely go here!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank theadventurist
airtrainandplane
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I am sorry to say that this hotel just did not cut the mustard for us. It is still under construction, our "pool suite" was not worth $273 per night and the hotel was a ghost town, the only thing missing was the tumbleweed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank maxthewax
Melbourne
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Shinta Mani is the most disappointing hotel I have ever stayed at. I had read the reviews about Shinta Mani and understood that it was well out of town, the courtesy bus they advertise will not run as scheduled and that some building would be going on. What I did not expect was the swimming pool to be toxic green (see photo), their manager did not exist, the adorable staff had no idea of what they were doing most of the time, the cocktail voucher I had printed off the internet when I booked would not be accepted, the fruit bowl in my room would not be emptied or refilled during my stay, the knife not washed or replaced and the list goes on.
It has so much potential and yet lets you down at every stop.
It is a stunning boutique hotel set on a hill with a fantastic view. The rooms are lovely, the pillows gorgeous, staff are friendly and all looks fantastic at the start. Then it goes to seed.
The courtesy bus offered to collect us from town whenever we needed transport. One night we waited for over 90 minutes as the bus could not find us. We had to ask the restaurant manager who spoke Khmer to call them 5 times. We were in the main street so I do not believe they were lost. We would have been happy to walk around the night market or get a drink but the driver kept saying he was only 2 or 3 minutes away.
Another time the hotel dropped us at the museum at 11am. They did not think to tell us that the museum was shut from 11am till 2pm for lunch when they left us there. It was the staff at the hotel that recommended the museum to begin with.
The Tuk Tuk drivers are a big problem also however this is no fault of the hotel. They do not want to take you to the top of the drive so on a couple of occasions we were dropped at the bottom of the drive and had to walk the 200m or so up to the hotel. Another time the Tuk Tuk stopped half way back from town at night an insisted upon more money to take us to the hotel. The trick to this is to imply yes, to always have the initial agreed upon fare on hand and once I reach the given destination, I hand the originally agreed upon amount over and briskly walk to the foyer of the hotel – it was 200m up the road this time so it was more like a run.
I wish I could review this hotel differently. If the pool had been usable I may have been able to overlook the many other problems however this is not a cheap place to stay and I expected a lot more. The worst part was that the staff all knew that there were problems however they had no manager to go to and were not able to make decisions on their own. As compensation for a mistake the hotel staff tried their best and brought me a cup of herbal tea to my room. Lovely. Firstly, if they had of looked at my bills they may have noticed that I drink coffee, wine or a G&T – never herbal tea. Secondly, a cup of tea is not going to compensate for much. With no manager available, this was all they were able to offer. I felt very sorry for the staff. Did I mention – they were lovely – if trained they would be brilliant.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank thelovelyasia
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Although this hotel is still being built, the view alone was to die for! My partner and I stayed in one of the private pool suites and were not disapointed. It was lovely to come back to the hotel at night to see the curtains had been drawn, slippers set out and candles lit. The staff were professional and hekpful. A wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luvtravel03
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Stayed at Shint Mani over the week end. Booked a room with private pool.
The set up is nice and you do feel like you nver want to leave the room. we ending up asking for room service on Breakfast and Lunch...did made the effort to go to the restaurant at evening!
The public pool is just amazing - I really felt on holidays as all we could see were mountains surranding us while swimming.
Defanatly a great stay!