“Tranquility and Zen”

Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel
Ranked #5 of 70 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Wonderful peaceful property with a very zen atmosphere but still very close to the centre of town only 10 min walk. Beautifully kept grounds and my Garden suite was very large with an own private garden huge bedroom large bathroom with big marble tub and separate shower room and toilet. The staff is highly attentive and willing to do its utmost to accommodate your needs.

. The manager is really keen on making it a great place to stay and she has succeeded. The spa is also nice and luxurious much better than the back packer places in town but also 3-4 x the price but as all is very cheap it is well worth it compared to any other 5 star property good value
The restaurant has a good wine selection and food is good. It is actually a very romantic hotel as they light candles in the room every night ... Highly recommended! It would have had five points in terms of location would it have been on the river. I gave 4 points for fitness but I mean spa it still could use a steam room.

Room Tip: Garden suites are large and beautiful
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank lmourey
Kirsty D, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Imourey,

Sabaidee and thank you from all of us for your very kind review. We are so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. The team really does do all they can to make sure you walk away not just enjoying our hotel but also to ensure that our guests make the most of just how special Luang Prabang really is.

Great to hear you experienced the Spa, it is the premier Spa in Luang Prabang and our therapists are masters in their craft. As for the steam room, watch this space, we are working on it.

Romantic, tranquil, individual luxury is what we aim to offer all guests and I am pleased to hear we did exactly that for you.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I thought we found a sanctuary in Luang Prabang. It is like a sanctuary because of its tranquility, gentle pace and peaceful Buddistic practicses. Hotel De La Paix was another sanctuary within the bigger sanctuary, or an extension of it. We absolutely think that this is one of the best hotels to chill out and relax for those who need a totally relaxing hotel. The moment we stepped into the hotel, we felt the calmness. This was a result of the warm welcome given to us by the hotel staff and the whole ambience of the hotel. !

Every single member of staff was extremely courteous and friendly. Their attention to detail and standard of service is one of the highest quality we have seen. Our room was spacious and our beds were so comfortable, it was hard to roll out of it in the morning. We only had the weekend there but the staff were very accommdating. They organised the alms giving for the monks at dawn and athough Chef Hongly couldn't do the normal cooking class in the morning with us, he came back in the evening to have one with us. The food he taught us to cook needless to say was scrumptiously delicious. We managed to squeeze in two massages at the SPA - we had one of the best massages ever! There is nothing that we can fault with this hotel and it deserves every gold star it can get.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Masie88,

Sabaidee and a very big thank you from all the team at Hotel de la Paix for your wonderful review of our little treasure. We are indeed a sanctuary and I could not have described our ambiance better and it is easy for our team to translate this in their day to day work as we are constantly surrounded by the warmth and positivity that the hotel projects – yes even given it’s former life.

Chef Hongly has a way of bring out the natural chef in everyone that joins him for a cooking class, so not surprised to hear your food was delicious, the best thing being you have your cookbook so you can make it home.

As for the Spa, Pookie and her team really do deliver a Spa experience that parallels some of the best in the world, and that is no small claim that I will hand on my heart herald to the world.

We are always here, so whenever you have a chance to break away for the weekend we will welcome you back with open arms.

Until then safe travels - Kirsty

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in! I could stop there but it wouldn't do the team at the hotel justice.

First, the reception staff. To a man and woman they go out of their way to make your stay in Luang Prabang memorable. Nothing is too much trouble: they're helpful and polite; they know the town and they give the benefit of their knowledge. We stayed in a pool suite. It was fantastic with a private pool and courtyard. The high "prison" wall gives total seclusion. The bed is large and comfortable and the bathroom is sensational. The doors to the outside area fold back so you can shower or bathe with the light flooding in.

The turndown service provides real atmosphere as they light candles and an MP3 player plays soft Laotian music.

Breakfast is amazing. The choice is wide and the quality of the food and its presentation is first class. I'm betting the prisoners didn't enjoy their stay as much as we did. We will look forward to coming back.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RomaPHILE33
Kirsty D, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear RomaPHILE33,
Thank you for your wonderful review of our very unique and special hotel. Luang Prabang is a pretty special place in itself but we know being able to stay in our UNESCO protected and rather fabulous hotel makes it that much better.
Our team is passionate about our treasure, their town, hence being so willing to lend their knowledge. For sure they gave you all the best tips and places to see.
The pool suite is actually my favourite suite in the house, bravo for choosing that category in particular, though all the suites are just as private and each has it’s own garden courtyard area. Showering with the doors open is mildly decadent and certainly what holidays are made for.
Do feel free to come back and “do time” with us again.
With very best regards - Kirsty

Reviewed July 11, 2013

this property should be #1 in Luang Prabang! The property is gorgeous, the food amazing and the service beyond almost anything I've experienced at home in the US. Several months in advance, I easily communicated with Bam, who was awesome, to create a custom itinerary that included a private river boat ride down the Mekong to the Pak Ou caves and a private Kecak dance. I had the same wonderfully, knowledgable guide throughout my trip. I took this trip to learn about Asian religions and my guide could answer ALL my questions.

Room Tip: Suite 22 has its own pool and a bath tub that opens to the outside. I highly recommend!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Melissa N
Kirsty D, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Melissa N,

Sabaidee from Hotel de la Paix and Luang Prabang! We believe we are the number one property in Luang Prabang….glad to know we are not the only ones. ☺

Bam is a treasure time and again and embodies the very nature of Laos people, caring, gentle and genuine. I promise you she deals with every guest as if it is her first and only priority, in fact that’s the general attitude of all the team. I am very privileged to work with such a great group of people.

Our destination really is extraordinary and whilst often sold as part of a tour throughout Indochina, I sincerely believe could be a stand alone destination. There is just that much to see, do and learn.

Thank you for visiting Luang Prabang, it is heart warming to know you left with great memories

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I loved this hotel! Our family loved this hotel. And we adored Luang Prabang! The Hotel de la Paix was perfect on every level. The converted prison was architecturally wonderful. The rooms were luxurious and well thought out. We had a pool suite and 2 garden suites all in a row. The kids loved playing in our private pool and we all loved hanging out at the main pool which is the centerpiece of the hotel. Breakfast was divine in a quaint library and the spa was a real treat with wonderful private spa pavilions. We also found the location perfect. We were only a 5 minute tuk tuk ride to the night market, which is wonderful and a 7 minute ride to the center of town. On a cool day it's completely walkable. When the hotel called the Tuk Tuk, it was there in 1 minute and cost $2 or $3. We went to town twice a day for lunch and strolling/shopping and for dinner/night market and never felt it was a hassle not to be in the center of town. In fact, coming back to such an oasis was fabulous. Service was top notch and the surprise 4th of July cakes were fun and appreciated. I cannot wait to return to Hotel de la Paix and the beautiful and serene Luang Prabang.

Room Tip: All room locations are fantastic. They all surround the main pool. The pool suite gives you a litt...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Kirsty D, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Donyale,

Sabaidee from Hotel de la Paix and Luang Prabang. I am truly humbled to read your fabulous review on Trip Advisor, thank you!

What can I say, I agree with every description of our unique and amazing little sanctuary and know we have a one of the best hotels in Luang Prabang.

The 4th of July cakes were a special touch made just for our American guests who were a ways away from home, we do the same for all celebrations, so you don’t feel left out of the celebrations that would be taking place at home.

You will be welcome any time you decide to return but until then safe travels where ever you may journey.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We are staying at the sister hotel, but have been able to enjoy the facilities at Hotel de la Paix. Today we had a cooking class with chef Hongly it was one of the best cooking classes that my husband and I have had. It started by being picked up and taken to the local market with Hongly and a driver. It was a wonderful experience with Hongly explaining about the different produce available at the market. In the cooking class we had everything explained to us, shown cutting and cooking skills as well as receiving a recipe book with all that we cooked. In all we cooked four courses.
We feel that we will be taking home a little of Laos with us.
After eating our food we were able to enjoy a swim.
Would recommend this quality cooking class. A big thank you to Hongly and his staff for making this day a memorable experience.
I would not eat before you do this course other wise you won't be able to eat all that you have cooked.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirsty D, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Mhellis,

So glad you had the opportunity to partake in our Kaitoke Cooking Class with Chef Hongly, it is loads of fun and honestly a must do activity whilst in Luang Prabang.

The markets are quite the experience, there is nothing like the look, taste and smell of hand picked organic vegetables, we are so blessed to be able to have these each and every day.

Laos food is not to be missed, fresh and clean, flavoured to your particular choice of spice or not…simply perfect!

So yes, it’s a must to enjoy a morning at the markets and Laos food preparation and definitely forego breakfast!

Happy Cooking and let us know if you have any culinary questions or need more tips.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I spent last week in one of the most tranquil cities I have ever been too and staying at Hotel de La Paix made it even more special. Our pool suite was amazing and I wanted to stay in bed all day with the fabulous cushion. The impeccable service matched the equally impeccable hotel. I stayed in Hotel de la Paix Siem Reap a few years back and had a great experience and this outlet in Luang didnt disappoint.
Extra kudos to Bam who took great care of us and managed all our needs.
We didnt get to eat meals at the hotel except the complimentary breakfast and the only little complaint I could make was they dont know how to cook their eggs very well but that was a little inconvenience for the wonderful time I had in this place

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Kirsty D, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Busytraveller5659,

On behalf of the team at Hotel de la Paix, thank you for your wonderful review of our beautiful resort. The pool suites are my personal favorites and it is always a quandary as to staying and enjoy such a fabulous suite or exploring this amazing and very special little town and surrounds.

Bam is indeed one of our treasures so I will be sure to pass your kind comments along to her.

My apologies that breakfast was not to your liking, we will ensure all comments are take as delivered and review the preparation of our eggs.

Should you ever return to Luang Prabang, please be sure to let us know and we will look forward to once again providing you with the very best care and attention.

Safe travels - Kirsty