Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel
$140
$91
  • Breakfast included
Kiridara Luang Prabang(Luang Prabang)
$241
$95
$135
$82
Agoda.com
Le Sen Boutique Hotel(Luang Prabang)
$90
$84
Villa Maydou(Luang Prabang)
$62
Agoda.com
Villa Ban Lakkham(Luang Prabang)
$30
$26
  • Breakfast included
Maison Dalabua Hotel(Luang Prabang)
$63
$57
$38
$19
Agoda.com
All reviewshotel de la paixprivate gardenpool villagovernor's residencechef johncooking classoutdoor bathtubheritage suitein townmain pooltuk tukcooking coursesister propertycooking schoollarge poolnagas restaurantbeautiful hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hotel de la Paix exceeded our expectations. Really lovely place in a lovely city. Not smack center in the town, but very easy to get to the river either by walking or tuk tuk. The hotel surrounds a central courtyard onto which all rooms face. We stayed in a pool suite which was on one corner. The room was very large and well-appointed with a small private pool in the back and outdoor space. We were in LP in December so it was quite chilly, so we just sat outside rather than use the pool, but it was a nice option to have. The main pool in the courtyard is very nice as well and the other guests did hang out there. If we were to go back, I may try a different room. The restaurant could be better. We had some nice dishes, but overall not amazing. Breakfast is included which is nice, but it wasn't great.

The service at the hotel and in LP was very friendly and warm, but English is not great, so I think we experienced some lost in translation moments. Don't hesitate to repeat your order if your fruit platter seems to have gone missing en route to your table. But if you come to Laos with a laid back attitude and you won't be disappointed by any service oversights. The staff were truly friendly and great.

We both got massages our last afternoon -- if we'd known how amazing our massages would be, we definitely would have scheduled one every day of our trip. We live in Singapore where you can get massages relatively cheaply and conveniently. I rarely get massages on trips at hotel spas b/c i'm usually disappointed. But these were amazing and well-priced. The Spa is at the back of the hotel in traditional Laos structures -- very lovely. Plus the receptionist we met is really bubbly and it was really nice chatting with her.

Over all a great trip and I'd certainly recommend this hotel!

1  Thank rajithavinnakota
ThreeNagas L, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix. I was especially pleased to know that facilities and services exceeded your expectations and that you would recommend our Hotel.

I was a little disappointed to know that our Food didn't live up to the standards set by the rest of the property. While it was agreeable to know that the food was nice, we really do want to raise the standards whereby guests can say that the food was amazing. We have tinkered again with the breakfast and although I say it myself, I believe we are getting there and the breakfast is better. Perhaps the most gratifying thing to note was that you found our employees warm and friendly: however, spoken english is an ongoing challenge and you have it spot on when you commented about the laid back attitude. Never the less, we are trying to improve on the spoken english with languages classes mandatory for all guest contact employees.

I was delighted that you thought so highly of our Spa and their services. I will have great pleasure in sharing your comments with them so that they can see, first hand, just exactly what you thought of their efforts

I note that you are living in Singapore which isn't so far away: I hope that you will come again and stay with us and if you would like to try alternative accommodations, please don't hesitate to place your bookings through me so that I can personally take care of the room assignment.

We look forward to the opportunity of being of service to you again in the not too distant future and until that time, I remain,

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in Oct for 4 nights. We loved it! The free mini bar (beer, chocolate and loads of soft drink) were appreciated. The staff were lovely. The breakfasts were beautifully presented and tasty.

There are only 2 rooms that are twin share. And some rooms have their own plunge pool which looked great - we had a tour of the other rooms!

Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a twin share which was at the front. It was very quiet. Nice garden too.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for the very generous praise afforded to our Hotel and the staff. we were very pleased to know that our product, services and facilities measured up to your expectations and we very much look forward to opportunity of welcoming you back to our Hote de la Paix.

Until that time, I remain,

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed for 5 days at the De La Paix as it was given a high rating by Trip Adviser. I had stayed in the De La Paix in Siem Reap a few years prior (now changed brands) and must say it was disappointing in comparison. The staff were very friendly, the room was modern and clean, the restaurant was excellent for dinner (however we only had one meal here) but the breakfasts were a little less than perfect. As it is only A la carte you have to take your chances with what you order. We chose poached eggs - pretty much inedible (could have used them as cannons) however we did finally find pancakes that they did very well - so we stuck to them. I think a part of the issue here is a language barrier which has to be expected... so we found it all quite humerus! Whilst we were there we only every saw 2 other couples so not sure if it was the time of year or if the hotel is struggling to gain clientele. The rates are very high, so I think this would definitely be a deterrent. We stayed in a "heritage suite" of which there are only 2 and I believe these are the "best rooms in the house" - however I did not get an opportunity to see inside any of the other rooms so I cannot comment. I would probably say you can get much better value for money if you dig a little deeper into what is on offer with accommodation in Luang Prabang.

Room Tip: I would say the "Heritage suits" were the best in the house, however all rooms face the central courtyard and pool and it is quite so I would say get a room with the best rate offered.
1  Thank Debra S

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your comments and observations following your stay at our Hotel de la Paix last December. Please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond but it's only now that I have found a window to do so.

I was sorry to note that you found the experience disappointing and I confess the Siem Reap property did set a high standard for as to aspire to: I was very pleased to note that the staff measured up to your expectations and that dinner did too, however, the breakfast comments are, or should I say were, of great concern.

I take your comments regarding the language barrier as well as the bullet like poached eggs. We have struggled to find a way around this as well as maintain an A la Carte approach to breakfast. I won't bore you with the mechanics of our "behind the scenes" operation, but ultimately it seemed to work much better if we brought the breakfast to the guests. We have introduced a Buffet style breakfast with all eggs made to order in front of you: while perhaps not as nice as an A la Carte breakfast, it certainly ensured that our guests received prompt, fresh and hot food (and no cannon ball poached eggs any more).

I wouldn't agree that the Heritage suits are the best rooms in the House but they are step up from the standard Garden Suite. You are right, there are only 2 of them and they are somewhat more distinct than the other rooms because of their bathrooms. I am a little bemused that you only ever saw 2 other couples as at that time of year (December 27) I can assure you that the Hotel was running at 100% occupancy. We only have 23 rooms anyway and just maybe others had already gone on tours etc or not reached breakfast at the same time as yourselves. This was also probably why you were unable to see another room type.

Coming from Melbourne, I wonder if your travels will bring you back to Luang Prabang as it is a long way to travel: should you elect to do so, I would be delighted to show you around the property and show you the other room types we have on offer (if it is not through the Festive Season Holidays). if you do come back our way, I would be very pleased to handle your booking requirements personally so that I can ensure that you do get the one of best rooms in the Hotel. Until that time, I remain,

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed for six nights. There were a couple of very minor glitches to do with room amenities but the helpful staff obviously work as a team with General Manager Kevin O'Hagan, to see what the problems were. They could not have been more helpful, asking what we would like to compensate us. We were happy with the fact that things were followed up. But that night when we returned from a day out, there was a bottle of French red wine in our room.

As long stay guests we were treated to a dinner at the Hotel's restaurant, The Three Nagas in Luang Prabang. We set off to walk to the restaurant and left early as is our custom. Ten minutes later when we were walking down a back street the hotel car appeared and insisted on taking us to our destination. Now that's service, especially since we had left early and had not asked for transport. Somehow they tracked us down in the dark. And The Three Nagas was absolutely fantastic.

The King Pool Suite we stayed in was lovely, very large room and outside area with private pool. The grounds and pool were manicured and lovely. Great breakfast area overlooking the gardens and pool. Breakfast is a la carte, a nice change from buffets and having to get up and down.

The staff also asked to meet with us following a day tour we did up the Mekong. They'd heard there was a problem. That kind of follow up is much appreciated.

On our departure staff were there to bid us farewell and there was a little surprise for us. We walked to the front of the hotel and there was a Mercedes Benz vintage car waiting to take us to the airport, absolutely marvellous.

A brilliant stay, thanks to the whole team and their General Manager, Kevin O'Hagan, working together to attend to all matters important to guests. Definitely return.

Room Tip: Our room was great with its own pool and spacious private surrounds.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
ThreeNagas L, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix. I apologize that I have taken so long to respond to your generous comments but as I am sure you will appreciate, the Holiday Season has somewhat monopolized my time.

I recall the "glitches" as you so kindly classified them and on behalf of all of us, we thank you too for your patience with us as we endeavoured to rectify them. I would like to add that I was very pleased that you did point out our shortcomings, however small they might have been to you. It is only through comments from our valued guests, such as yourselves, who take the time and trouble to point out these matters, do we ever get know of the problems let alone the opportunity to correct things.

Despite this, I do so hope you enjoyed the overall Luang Prabang experience and that, in some small way, we were able to play a part in the success of your visit. All the staff at the Hotel de la Paix join me in sending you our very best wishes for a truly splendid 2013 and look forward to the opportunity when we can be of service to you again. Thank you again for your assistance in helping us in our quest for Service Excellence and until the next time, I remain,

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is long overdue and honestly I wouldn't normally loose any sleep over writing hotel reviews. However, I have stayed at 3 other 5 star properties since I stayed at Hotel de la Paix back in mid October and none of these hotels measured up to it. For this very reason, I felt they are deserving of my time. I stayed at Hotel de la Paix for 2 nights on a side trip to Luang Prabang after a week long business trip to Bangkok. There were many options when I was looking for a hotel in Luang Prabang, and since I was traveling alone, I simply wanted to make sure I had a safe haven to retreat to at the end of the day or in the unlikely event I would not like this city. The minute I crossed the gate (not that I am forgetting the seamless airport transfer) and was greeted by the genuinely friendly staff I was blown away. I loved the simplicity of the stark white colonial infrastructure with its terra-cotta roof tiles, scattered around the beautiful garden. Shortly thereafter, I was escorted to my room and I knew, right there and then, I could not have made a better choice. As promised when I made my booking on the hotel's website, I was upgraded to the next room category which, in my case, turned out to be a villa with a private pool. Even when I tried to capture every detail of this perfectly appointed villa with my camera, no picture did justice to its perfectly understated elegance. Clearly whoever designed this villa stroke a perfect balance between design and functionality. Unfortunately, I loved Luang Prabang as well, so I ended up spending little time in my villa (every morning and evening I did make sure I took a dip in my private pool) but the time I did spend there made me feel I need to go back if only to simply enjoy this stunning property.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Juankicks
Kevin M O, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your comments and observations of our property from which I was delighted to know that we measured up to your expectations. I was especially pleased to note your kind comment about the genuinely friendliness of our staff.

Understanding that you are a seasoned traveler, your comments on our property are praise indeed and we will endeavour to maintain our standards to the level that you experienced. I notice that you have traveled into South East Asia from India which I assume is a regular business venture for you. Should the opportunity arise for you to return to Luang Prabang, do feel free to contact me so that I can personally handle your reservation and room assignment.

Thank you again for your time and until the next time, I remain,

Kevin M. O'Hagan,