“Lovely Stay in Luang Prabang”

Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hotel de la Paix exceeded our expectations. Really lovely place in a lovely city. Not smack center in the town, but very easy to get to the river either by walking or tuk tuk. The hotel surrounds a central courtyard onto which all rooms face. We stayed in a pool suite which was on one corner. The room was very large and well-appointed with a small private pool in the back and outdoor space. We were in LP in December so it was quite chilly, so we just sat outside rather than use the pool, but it was a nice option to have. The main pool in the courtyard is very nice as well and the other guests did hang out there. If we were to go back, I may try a different room. The restaurant could be better. We had some nice dishes, but overall not amazing. Breakfast is included which is nice, but it wasn't great.

The service at the hotel and in LP was very friendly and warm, but English is not great, so I think we experienced some lost in translation moments. Don't hesitate to repeat your order if your fruit platter seems to have gone missing en route to your table. But if you come to Laos with a laid back attitude and you won't be disappointed by any service oversights. The staff were truly friendly and great.

We both got massages our last afternoon -- if we'd known how amazing our massages would be, we definitely would have scheduled one every day of our trip. We live in Singapore where you can get massages relatively cheaply and conveniently. I rarely get massages on trips at hotel spas b/c i'm usually disappointed. But these were amazing and well-priced. The Spa is at the back of the hotel in traditional Laos structures -- very lovely. Plus the receptionist we met is really bubbly and it was really nice chatting with her.

Over all a great trip and I'd certainly recommend this hotel!

1  Thank rajithavinnakota
ThreeNagas L, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix. I was especially pleased to know that facilities and services exceeded your expectations and that you would recommend our Hotel.

I was a little disappointed to know that our Food didn't live up to the standards set by the rest of the property. While it was agreeable to know that the food was nice, we really do want to raise the standards whereby guests can say that the food was amazing. We have tinkered again with the breakfast and although I say it myself, I believe we are getting there and the breakfast is better. Perhaps the most gratifying thing to note was that you found our employees warm and friendly: however, spoken english is an ongoing challenge and you have it spot on when you commented about the laid back attitude. Never the less, we are trying to improve on the spoken english with languages classes mandatory for all guest contact employees.

I was delighted that you thought so highly of our Spa and their services. I will have great pleasure in sharing your comments with them so that they can see, first hand, just exactly what you thought of their efforts

I note that you are living in Singapore which isn't so far away: I hope that you will come again and stay with us and if you would like to try alternative accommodations, please don't hesitate to place your bookings through me so that I can personally take care of the room assignment.

We look forward to the opportunity of being of service to you again in the not too distant future and until that time, I remain,

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in Oct for 4 nights. We loved it! The free mini bar (beer, chocolate and loads of soft drink) were appreciated. The staff were lovely. The breakfasts were beautifully presented and tasty.

There are only 2 rooms that are twin share. And some rooms have their own plunge pool which looked great - we had a tour of the other rooms!

Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a twin share which was at the front. It was very quiet. Nice garden too.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for the very generous praise afforded to our Hotel and the staff. we were very pleased to know that our product, services and facilities measured up to your expectations and we very much look forward to opportunity of welcoming you back to our Hote de la Paix.

Until that time, I remain,

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed for 5 days at the De La Paix as it was given a high rating by Trip Adviser. I had stayed in the De La Paix in Siem Reap a few years prior (now changed brands) and must say it was disappointing in comparison. The staff were very friendly, the room was modern and clean, the restaurant was excellent for dinner (however we only had one meal here) but the breakfasts were a little less than perfect. As it is only A la carte you have to take your chances with what you order. We chose poached eggs - pretty much inedible (could have used them as cannons) however we did finally find pancakes that they did very well - so we stuck to them. I think a part of the issue here is a language barrier which has to be expected... so we found it all quite humerus! Whilst we were there we only every saw 2 other couples so not sure if it was the time of year or if the hotel is struggling to gain clientele. The rates are very high, so I think this would definitely be a deterrent. We stayed in a "heritage suite" of which there are only 2 and I believe these are the "best rooms in the house" - however I did not get an opportunity to see inside any of the other rooms so I cannot comment. I would probably say you can get much better value for money if you dig a little deeper into what is on offer with accommodation in Luang Prabang.

Room Tip: I would say the "Heritage suits" were the best in the house, however all rooms face the ce...
1  Thank Debra S

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your comments and observations following your stay at our Hotel de la Paix last December. Please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond but it's only now that I have found a window to do so.

I was sorry to note that you found the experience disappointing and I confess the Siem Reap property did set a high standard for as to aspire to: I was very pleased to note that the staff measured up to your expectations and that dinner did too, however, the breakfast comments are, or should I say were, of great concern.

I take your comments regarding the language barrier as well as the bullet like poached eggs. We have struggled to find a way around this as well as maintain an A la Carte approach to breakfast. I won't bore you with the mechanics of our "behind the scenes" operation, but ultimately it seemed to work much better if we brought the breakfast to the guests. We have introduced a Buffet style breakfast with all eggs made to order in front of you: while perhaps not as nice as an A la Carte breakfast, it certainly ensured that our guests received prompt, fresh and hot food (and no cannon ball poached eggs any more).

I wouldn't agree that the Heritage suits are the best rooms in the House but they are step up from the standard Garden Suite. You are right, there are only 2 of them and they are somewhat more distinct than the other rooms because of their bathrooms. I am a little bemused that you only ever saw 2 other couples as at that time of year (December 27) I can assure you that the Hotel was running at 100% occupancy. We only have 23 rooms anyway and just maybe others had already gone on tours etc or not reached breakfast at the same time as yourselves. This was also probably why you were unable to see another room type.

Coming from Melbourne, I wonder if your travels will bring you back to Luang Prabang as it is a long way to travel: should you elect to do so, I would be delighted to show you around the property and show you the other room types we have on offer (if it is not through the Festive Season Holidays). if you do come back our way, I would be very pleased to handle your booking requirements personally so that I can ensure that you do get the one of best rooms in the Hotel. Until that time, I remain,

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed for six nights. There were a couple of very minor glitches to do with room amenities but the helpful staff obviously work as a team with General Manager Kevin O'Hagan, to see what the problems were. They could not have been more helpful, asking what we would like to compensate us. We were happy with the fact that things were followed up. But that night when we returned from a day out, there was a bottle of French red wine in our room.

As long stay guests we were treated to a dinner at the Hotel's restaurant, The Three Nagas in Luang Prabang. We set off to walk to the restaurant and left early as is our custom. Ten minutes later when we were walking down a back street the hotel car appeared and insisted on taking us to our destination. Now that's service, especially since we had left early and had not asked for transport. Somehow they tracked us down in the dark. And The Three Nagas was absolutely fantastic.

The King Pool Suite we stayed in was lovely, very large room and outside area with private pool. The grounds and pool were manicured and lovely. Great breakfast area overlooking the gardens and pool. Breakfast is a la carte, a nice change from buffets and having to get up and down.

The staff also asked to meet with us following a day tour we did up the Mekong. They'd heard there was a problem. That kind of follow up is much appreciated.

On our departure staff were there to bid us farewell and there was a little surprise for us. We walked to the front of the hotel and there was a Mercedes Benz vintage car waiting to take us to the airport, absolutely marvellous.

A brilliant stay, thanks to the whole team and their General Manager, Kevin O'Hagan, working together to attend to all matters important to guests. Definitely return.

Room Tip: Our room was great with its own pool and spacious private surrounds.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
ThreeNagas L, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix. I apologize that I have taken so long to respond to your generous comments but as I am sure you will appreciate, the Holiday Season has somewhat monopolized my time.

I recall the "glitches" as you so kindly classified them and on behalf of all of us, we thank you too for your patience with us as we endeavoured to rectify them. I would like to add that I was very pleased that you did point out our shortcomings, however small they might have been to you. It is only through comments from our valued guests, such as yourselves, who take the time and trouble to point out these matters, do we ever get know of the problems let alone the opportunity to correct things.

Despite this, I do so hope you enjoyed the overall Luang Prabang experience and that, in some small way, we were able to play a part in the success of your visit. All the staff at the Hotel de la Paix join me in sending you our very best wishes for a truly splendid 2013 and look forward to the opportunity when we can be of service to you again. Thank you again for your assistance in helping us in our quest for Service Excellence and until the next time, I remain,

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is long overdue and honestly I wouldn't normally loose any sleep over writing hotel reviews. However, I have stayed at 3 other 5 star properties since I stayed at Hotel de la Paix back in mid October and none of these hotels measured up to it. For this very reason, I felt they are deserving of my time. I stayed at Hotel de la Paix for 2 nights on a side trip to Luang Prabang after a week long business trip to Bangkok. There were many options when I was looking for a hotel in Luang Prabang, and since I was traveling alone, I simply wanted to make sure I had a safe haven to retreat to at the end of the day or in the unlikely event I would not like this city. The minute I crossed the gate (not that I am forgetting the seamless airport transfer) and was greeted by the genuinely friendly staff I was blown away. I loved the simplicity of the stark white colonial infrastructure with its terra-cotta roof tiles, scattered around the beautiful garden. Shortly thereafter, I was escorted to my room and I knew, right there and then, I could not have made a better choice. As promised when I made my booking on the hotel's website, I was upgraded to the next room category which, in my case, turned out to be a villa with a private pool. Even when I tried to capture every detail of this perfectly appointed villa with my camera, no picture did justice to its perfectly understated elegance. Clearly whoever designed this villa stroke a perfect balance between design and functionality. Unfortunately, I loved Luang Prabang as well, so I ended up spending little time in my villa (every morning and evening I did make sure I took a dip in my private pool) but the time I did spend there made me feel I need to go back if only to simply enjoy this stunning property.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Juankicks
Kevin M O, General Manager at Sofitel Luang Prabang Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your comments and observations of our property from which I was delighted to know that we measured up to your expectations. I was especially pleased to note your kind comment about the genuinely friendliness of our staff.

Understanding that you are a seasoned traveler, your comments on our property are praise indeed and we will endeavour to maintain our standards to the level that you experienced. I notice that you have traveled into South East Asia from India which I assume is a regular business venture for you. Should the opportunity arise for you to return to Luang Prabang, do feel free to contact me so that I can personally handle your reservation and room assignment.

Thank you again for your time and until the next time, I remain,

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at Hotel de la Paix and would throughly recommend it to anyone looking for a stylish, chilled out place to escape from the stress of city ife for a while.

The airport pickup service worked seamlessly (despite our inbound flight being more than an hour delayed) and the driver greeted us with a big smile, before offering us chilled hand towels & bottled water. Check in at the hotel was welcoming & low key - with a glass of fresh juice, another chilled hand towel and a tour of the room features & explanation of restaurant opening hours. The A/C was already running in anticipation of our arrival & there was traditional music playing in the background - very welcoming. The reception staff also provided us with a map & a card with the hotel name in lao in case tuk tuk drivers didn't speak English - which we didn't need to use but was a thoughtful touch. On the day we departed, the front desk manager kindly arranged to transfer our bags to an unoccupied room so that we could have a late afternoon shower before heading to the airport, which was also much appreciated.

We found our corner pool suite room (#3) spacious & spotless - with stark, minimalist-meets-colonial style and all the facilities for a comfortable & relaxing stay (A/C, TV, i-pod dock, ipod preloaded with chilled music, hairdryer, bathrobes & slippers, lots of big white towels, tea & coffee making facilities, free mini-bar stocked with soft drinks & beer). The indoor/outdoor bathroom design was great - offering the choice of a rain shower, handheld shower or a separate bath. The bed was super comfortable (pillow-top mattress & high thread count cotton sheets) and we enjoyed using our lovely private pool so much we barely used the main pool in the courtyard - which was also very nice.

Our room rate included breakfast which was served on the shaded patio or under a canvas umbrella in the courtyard - a very pretty & peaceful setting. Service was efficient and the food was of a decent standard with a good choice of fresh juice, tea or coffee (including the option to have a cappuccino) & a bakery basket - plus an extensive menu of hot options cooked to order (pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs, noodles etc) or cereal & fruit. The cheese & tomato omelettes we ordered were very nice and we both enjoyed the warm mini croissants & wholemeal toast - both of which were delicious with the local jams (pineapple & papaya/lime).

Given that this is one of the more expensive hotels in town - there were just a few small points where we felt there was room for improvement.

The mosquito netting around the bed was very atmospheric but didn't close properly. While we had no issues with mosquitos during our stay (only the odd one in the shower area outside which we tackled with the can of spray, thoughtfully left behind by housekeeping) mosquito nets that close properly would provide extra peace of mind to those of us who are "mozzie bait".

The fresh fruit platter at breakfast was rather disappointing (under-ripe both days we ordered it) and had I been paying the menu prices I'd probably have sent it back. And my husband noted that his pancakes with bacon came with a very tiny bite sized strip of bacon (more bacon please!)

We borrowed bikes from the hotel on two days of our stay. The hotel had run out of bikes on the day we arrived & what was available to borrow thereafter did not seem to match the standard set by the rest of the hotel. Hiring a bike in town is cheap enough so it's not a big deal to hire one elsewhere, but since the hotel provide this free service to guests, a few extra, newer bikes (or a bit of extra bike maintenance to resolve kinked wheels & non-adjustable seats) wouldn't be misplaced.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay & would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to others.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, splash out on a pool suite - they're substantially more spacious & the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gr8_AussieGirl

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix. I was pleased to note that overall our services and facilities measured up to your expectations and that you enjoyed the experience of both our Hotel and Luang Prabang.

While it is always nice to learn how well you have done and how good things are, I am especially grateful to you for highlighting some of things that were below your expectations. I take your point about the mosquito netting and steps have been taken to remedy this matter. Netting to suit our bed sizes have been ordered and it is only a question of time now as to when we will receive the replacements.

I was saddened to read of of your breakfast disappointments; there is no excuse, especially here in Laos, not to provide fresh and ripe fruit. I have already brought this to the attention of our Executive Chef and Purchasing Manager and rest assured this matter has been resolved. As for the bacon, or perhaps the lack of it, I can't apologize enough for your not getting a proper portion. This is not the first time that this matter has been raised and I am at a loss as to why this should be happening again. This too has been brought to the attention of our Executive Chef and I personally will monitor on just how much is given out.

The Hotel bikes too is a matter that is in hand: actually I believe they are probably beyond regular maintenance and that new ones would be more appropriate. There seem to be a multitude of bikes to choose from and quite which is the right one for us is a matter of some conjecture. However, I accept your observations on this shortcoming and I am pleased to advise that new bicycles will be coming.

I do hope that your travels will bring you back to Luang Prabang and, of course, the Hotel de la Paix. However, I appreciate that coming from Europe isn't the easiest of journeys but until that time, I remain,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed one week in Hôtel de la Paix for our honeymoon last September and we can say without hesitation that we had the time of our life. The hotel was warmly recommended to us by my boss and we were not disappointed at all. It was even better than our expectations, to be honest. This charming old colonial building renovated with taste was a hit. The big inside garden and the pool, where you can enjoy some out-of-time, peaceful moments, are fantastic. The staff is very friendly, very competent and helpful. They took care of us with a lot of enthusiasm and gave us some good tips about what to do in and out the city and booked some excursions for us too. The restaurant and its excellent and friendly cook is a wonderful place to stay for a great Lao meal and some good conversation. We also took a cooking lesson there which was very interesting and quite a funny experience. The hotel also has another restaurant in town, the 3 Nagas, which is run by the same cook, where you can enjoy an equally excellent local cuisine. The hotel spa at de la Paix is also a hit. There you can chill out with a cup of tea, outside in the garden, have a chat with the very nice ladies running the place, and of course enjoy a top quality massage in the nicely designed wooden house.
As for the room we had, it was a pure jewel. Being on our honeymoon, we booked one of the top ones and had a superb suite-looking, nicely designed, stylish room, with a little garden and our own private little pool, in which we were more than happy to swim at every hour of the day and night. The service was excellent and the room always very clean and nicely prepared.
We have nothing but excellent comments and praises for this wonderful place. So much so that, for a minute, we hesitated before recommending it here, wanting it to remain our secret, unshared place in paradise... Besides, the town of Luang Prabang is such a beautiful and interesting place to visit. But even if this was not the case, then we would have been quite content with staying the whole time within the hotel compound. We had the feeling of being at home throughout our stay, with the staff being some very nice people to spend time talking to and making friends with.
In one word, bravo to this beautiful piece of paradise!

Marc and Viti, Lausanne, Switzerland

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marc D

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your thoughts and observations following your recent stay at our Hotel de la Paix.

I was so pleased to know that our product, facilities and above all, our services not only measured up to but exceeded your expectations. I was especially pleased that our staff played a major role in the overall enjoyment of your stay: I will take great pleasure in sharing your comments with them at our next Employee Recognition day.

I don;t what else I can say but again, thank you: your comments are proof that we, as a team with a product, are moving in the right direction in proving satisfaction to our guests. I notice that you have come all the way from Switzerland which is definitely a long haul: I do hope that this distance won't deter you from return to Luang Prabang and, of course, the Hotel de la Paix. The staff join me in, again, giving you our sincerest congratulations on your marriage and we look forward to sharing in a future anniversary.

In the meantime, I remain,