“Good location, but a little pricey and could use some touch-ups”

Villa Chitdara 2 Guesthouse
Ranked #33 of 268 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at Villa Chitdara 2 for four nights in Luang Prabang. It had good trip advisor reviews, so I booked a room. To be honest, I found the place to be a little dark and musty. My bathroom had a terrible smell to it, so I kept the door open as much as I could to get some air circulating. The room was alright. It had a tv, air con and a bed that overlooked the road. You couldn't really see the river as it was hidden by some trees, but I didn't mind. As mentioned earlier, the staff don't speak much English, but they really tried hard to accommodate whenever I had a question, so I really can't fault them for it. The wifi was terrible and did not work while I was there. You could pick up a signal from next door when you were in the main lobby. Ultimately, I think that you could find something a little better for the price in Luang Prabang. I give it am average rating because it didn't really make an impression.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jmarti123

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was the only one in the hotel when i arrived for two night and that sould have been a sign. but anyway agoda cancellaton policy is too hard to cancel.
the room was overpriced for the type of room.
there was no safe in the room.
when i took a shower, i saw a used soap in the soap holder which made me question the whole place on its cleanliness.
the worst is the staff. totally useless to answer your questions as the guy as the reception didnt understand english if your question wasn't about where can i eat breakfast or cani have a tuktuk for the airport. i had question about alms procedure or where to find things and he had no clue what i was talking about. i felt very lonely and like i missed some parts of The city that would have been cool if someone could have been introducing me to it.
this place is definitely the worst quality/price hotel of my trip.

Room Tip: be prepared for no safe in the room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This guesthouse is well situated right by the bank of the Mekong river and a short walk to the main street and markets. The breakfast is very good, and will fill you up for a long time. The staff is very helpful and friendly and the owner is amazing. I felt that he made great efforts to give me a valuable experience and understanding of the place. Having the chance to speak to him and to join him in the morning alms with the monks was a highlight of my trip to Laos. I had a beautiful, clean, front room overlooking the river and felt at home (despite not being able to turn on the AC). My very best recommendations.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I don't have a bad thing to say about this place. The rooms were clean and very nice, with hardwood floors and a really comfortable bed. The price of $35 was very reasonable (breakfast included) for the quality, if had a room on the second floor in the back. It was situated in a great location right on the Mekong, where you eat breakfast overlooking the river. Finally the staff was very friendly and arranged everything for me, from airport drop off to trips to the sites.

The owner was out of town and showed up the last day I was there. Greeted me very warmly with a huge smile, if you have a chance to spend time talking to him, he's very interesting. In my 4 weeks in SE Asia so far this was the best place for the $ by far!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place was simply great to stay in, clean, comfortable and great staff service. We stayed there because of the previous tripa advisor reports and they were spot on. We did have a down stairs room and no problems with noise. Mr. Vong was very helpfdul and so interesting, if you get the chance go to alms with him. The guys on the desk were very helpful, and like everyone on Laos happy and firendly. Breakfast was really good, we had it across the road on the riverfront, it was the best way to start the day. Location is close to everything, yet quiet compared to places back and clsoer to the night markets. Would defnitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the Chitdara2 for two weeks in February. We picked this guesthouse based on reviews on Tripadvisor and were not disappointed. The location was perfect, a good starting point to either go to the busy main street or walk along the river and up the side streets. As mentioned, the breakfast is good - the same each morning, but a good start for the day, and excellent coffee and plenty of it. The service from the two young men who share the duties was excellent, they are so polite and so willing to please. We did not see much of Mr. Vong, the owner, but it was a very busy time (Chinese New Year) and I am sure if we would have needed his services he would have been there for us. Two weeks was not too much for us and it was always good to come back and sit either in front street side or across the street on the private patio with a cold beer or a cup of tea.
Because my knees are not great, I was originally sorry not to have a ground floor room, but after reading some of the other recent reviews, it appears the upper rooms are the better choice. We had both a front and a back room during our stay. The upstairs back room did not have good wifi - which meant going back down the stairs to the lobby - the only thing I did not like so much because of the stair climbing. All in al, we liked it very much and will certainly stay again, should we come back to Luang Prabang (and we hope we will).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hjtravel
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We had a really nice stay here for 4 nights in February 2013. Really nice location that's relatively close to the main drag in Luang Prabang but far enough away so it's relatively quiet. Service was always attentive and everyone's so kind. Breakfast was served every morning - fresh cut fruit, homemade yogurt, eggs cooked to order and outstanding baguettes/French butter! You can eat breakfast inside, out on the front patio area or across the small street overlooking the Mekong river; it's definitely a very nice start to the day.

No safe in the rooms but we placed our valuable items in a backpack and left it with the guys at the front (it seemed to be always attended on the ground floor) every morning and had no problems whatsoever.

The only complaint I would have is the fact that we were in the ground floor room next to the stairs & indoor eating area so early morning risers (or people coming in later in the night) would definitely rouse you.

A very nice homebase for a stay in Luang Prabang. I'd stay again but probably request a non ground-floor room next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a non ground-floor room if it's available.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple