“Lovely stay”
Review of Villa Pumalin

Villa Pumalin
Ranked #90 of 266 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed one night and were so impressed with this lovely place that we decided to return after a trip up river. We needed four more nights and were offered an upgrade for the same price.
The staff especially the guy who took our breakfast order were so helpful and pleasant.
It is a good spot for the river and town and not in a noisy area.
When we come back to Laos in the future we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If u can ask for a front balcony
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian S
There are newer reviews for Villa Pumalin

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I did not like the location of the hotel I stayed in for my first days in Luang Prabang. Walking along the town, found this nice guesthouse which proved to be a very nice alternative, for a much cheaper price, actually half of what we were paying. The superior room is not spacious. In fact, there is too much furniture for the size of the room. Even though, it has good air conditioning, fridge, flat screen tv with few cable options, hair dryer. The bed was not the most comfortable, but ok. Sink is inside the room,under the window, and toilet and shower cabin are separate.Good hot water. Breakfast is modest. Not much variation, but you have industrialized yogurth, a fruit, toast, butter, industrialzed jam, coffee/milk or tea and eggs. Internet did not work in the room. However, on the balcony outside it was ok. The trouble is the hot weather and mosquitos outside the room! The location is good. Closer to the river than to the main road, silent at night. On the corner with the main road, there is Joma Bakery, which is a good option for a better breakfast. The staff is very nice and helpful. As it was my husband´s birthday, they gave him a birthday gift, what gladly surprised us. It was a notebook made of "papier mache", typical artcraft of Luang Prabang. All in all it is a good alternative to more expensive accommodation in town.

Room Tip: I understand deluxe rooms are bigger
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CariocaBrazil
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Definitely one of the nicer places in town. It's not on backpacker alley, so the noisy 20-something crowd and cheap eateries are far away. Sadly room 101, a king bed, is the first room adjacent to the check-in counter and dining tables for breakfast. By 7am, you'll hear a lot of clinking of cups and plates from the included b'fast. The AC unit is only powered on when you have the wooden keychain in the slot by the doorway. Room 101 has 2 doors going into the room. One of it is from the main hallway. The other opens out to the common dining area. Windows open out to the ground level and you can see other guests walking by.

Room Tip: Bring a deck of playing cards. They make a perfect substitute so you can put it in the key slot for...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I booked through the hotel website which required me to open an account with a third party booking service and pay for the rooms using my visa. I did this and received confirmation from the company that I had paid; however, I did not receive confirmation from the hotel. I emailed the hotel and was told I would have to pay for the room at the hotel and there was only a deluxe room left (I had booked and paid for a standard). I politely emailed the hotel saying I had paid and they politely repeated the same thing. Finally I emailed the third party booking service and they are going to refund my money (it is the same company that Laos Airlines uses). I stuck with the hotel because there many things I liked about it.
I booked a taxi through the hotel and it was waiting for us at the airport. However, when we arrived to the hotel there was confusion about when and whom we should pay (should pay the driver so make sure you know how much before taking the taxi). Transfer to the airport from the hotel is free.
Check in was quick and smooth. No welcome drink or orientation of room was given. Deluxe rooms are spacious with lots of wood and beautiful ceilings and shutters over windows. Bathrooms are lovely with a Jacuzzi tub and large separate shower with plenty of hot water. A/c works very well and room was clean on arrival (but inconsistent during our stay). As others have mentioned, there isn’t a lot in terms of bathroom products available so bring your own. There is a hairdryer. No kettle.
One of the reasons I booked this place was because someone said the beds were comfy – they are actually rock hard. Linens are nice and we were granted extra pillows. Lighting is excellent in the bathroom and a bit dim in the room. TV gets several English channels but many are dubbed in Laos. I think I saw one mosquito in our room. Small groups of guests can be noisy in mornings but it's quiet through the night.
Breakfast buffet is on early – two fruits, sliced bread, and cold eggs and meat but later you can order off the menu.Coffee was thick and often cold but there’s hot water so we bought 3-in-1 and used that. Communicating with staff is a challenge. No tourist information is offered. Laundry and bike rental directly across the street is great and there are plenty of inexpensive stores close by. Joma is right on the corner. I recommend House for Western (kebab sandwich and fries are incredible) and the spicy noodle restaurant for great soup. We ended up staying here for 7 nights– the location is super, rooms beautiful, and the manager really is sweet.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper - ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gbonez
Reviewed January 30, 2012

A lovely guest house on a quiet and clean street conveniently located near the night market. The rooms were very clean and well maintained with beautiful wood paneling and comfortable beds. Helpful staff. Breakfast ok.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank laowai17
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Lovely wooden guesthouse centrally located just off the river in Luang Prabang. The rooms are very tastefully finished, and our room had a gorgeous balcony. As others have mentioned the showers are superb.
The staff are very helpful and went out of their way to find me help with my car when it had problems. For those driving here ten the road from Vang Vieng is simply gorgeous and the surface not too shabby.
Breakfast is included in the 50usd room rate, and was quite acceptable, if not the best.
All in all this place seems hard to beat for value in town and we would recommend it strongly.

Room Tip: The front room seems to be the better option
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rikitikitavi-kampot
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Reserved this hotel through Agoda beforehand as we knew we'd be arriving very late into the night and didn't want to take the time to check-out multiple hotels. At $55 (incl taxes and service charges), it was a little more of a splurge knowing that there are many cheaper options in LP, although we felt it was still good value. Our room was quite large, with a mix of white and dark woods that didn't have as dark and gloomy an effect as other hotels I've read about. The king sized bed was very comfortable. AC worked well. Flat screen tv had multiple English channels. Wireless was good, considering it's Laos. Best part was the shower – with both a large rain showerhead and standard shower head, this hotel had the most dependable, hottest water I'd experienced in a long time. Staff were attentive to all our needs. Breakfast was outside in the garden, with eggs made to order and pancakes/bacon. When we returned to Luang Prabang we decided to stay elsewhere as we were able to find better deals (Phasith Guesthouse for $12 and later Villa La TamTam for $25) but had no regrets staying at the Pumalin as it was a nice splurge.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple