“Beautiful rooms but don't pay on their website!”
Review of Villa Pumalin

Villa Pumalin
Ranked #90 of 264 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Toronto, Ontario
“Beautiful rooms but don't pay on their website!”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I booked through the hotel website which required me to open an account with a third party booking service and pay for the rooms using my visa. I did this and received confirmation from the company that I had paid; however, I did not receive confirmation from the hotel. I emailed the hotel and was told I would have to pay for the room at the hotel and there was only a deluxe room left (I had booked and paid for a standard). I politely emailed the hotel saying I had paid and they politely repeated the same thing. Finally I emailed the third party booking service and they are going to refund my money (it is the same company that Laos Airlines uses). I stuck with the hotel because there many things I liked about it.
I booked a taxi through the hotel and it was waiting for us at the airport. However, when we arrived to the hotel there was confusion about when and whom we should pay (should pay the driver so make sure you know how much before taking the taxi). Transfer to the airport from the hotel is free.
Check in was quick and smooth. No welcome drink or orientation of room was given. Deluxe rooms are spacious with lots of wood and beautiful ceilings and shutters over windows. Bathrooms are lovely with a Jacuzzi tub and large separate shower with plenty of hot water. A/c works very well and room was clean on arrival (but inconsistent during our stay). As others have mentioned, there isn’t a lot in terms of bathroom products available so bring your own. There is a hairdryer. No kettle.
One of the reasons I booked this place was because someone said the beds were comfy – they are actually rock hard. Linens are nice and we were granted extra pillows. Lighting is excellent in the bathroom and a bit dim in the room. TV gets several English channels but many are dubbed in Laos. I think I saw one mosquito in our room. Small groups of guests can be noisy in mornings but it's quiet through the night.
Breakfast buffet is on early – two fruits, sliced bread, and cold eggs and meat but later you can order off the menu.Coffee was thick and often cold but there’s hot water so we bought 3-in-1 and used that. Communicating with staff is a challenge. No tourist information is offered. Laundry and bike rental directly across the street is great and there are plenty of inexpensive stores close by. Joma is right on the corner. I recommend House for Western (kebab sandwich and fries are incredible) and the spicy noodle restaurant for great soup. We ended up staying here for 7 nights– the location is super, rooms beautiful, and the manager really is sweet.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper - ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gbonez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hangzhou
Reviewed January 30, 2012

A lovely guest house on a quiet and clean street conveniently located near the night market. The rooms were very clean and well maintained with beautiful wood paneling and comfortable beds. Helpful staff. Breakfast ok.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank laowai17
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Lovely wooden guesthouse centrally located just off the river in Luang Prabang. The rooms are very tastefully finished, and our room had a gorgeous balcony. As others have mentioned the showers are superb.
The staff are very helpful and went out of their way to find me help with my car when it had problems. For those driving here ten the road from Vang Vieng is simply gorgeous and the surface not too shabby.
Breakfast is included in the 50usd room rate, and was quite acceptable, if not the best.
All in all this place seems hard to beat for value in town and we would recommend it strongly.

Room Tip: The front room seems to be the better option
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rikitikitavi-kampot
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Reserved this hotel through Agoda beforehand as we knew we'd be arriving very late into the night and didn't want to take the time to check-out multiple hotels. At $55 (incl taxes and service charges), it was a little more of a splurge knowing that there are many cheaper options in LP, although we felt it was still good value. Our room was quite large, with a mix of white and dark woods that didn't have as dark and gloomy an effect as other hotels I've read about. The king sized bed was very comfortable. AC worked well. Flat screen tv had multiple English channels. Wireless was good, considering it's Laos. Best part was the shower – with both a large rain showerhead and standard shower head, this hotel had the most dependable, hottest water I'd experienced in a long time. Staff were attentive to all our needs. Breakfast was outside in the garden, with eggs made to order and pancakes/bacon. When we returned to Luang Prabang we decided to stay elsewhere as we were able to find better deals (Phasith Guesthouse for $12 and later Villa La TamTam for $25) but had no regrets staying at the Pumalin as it was a nice splurge.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Bari
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel is new and so everything clean and tidy. Staff are friendly and helpful. Ask them anything and they will provide within 30 sec. A short walking distance to the Mekong River on a quiet lane. 5 - 10 min. It is quiet in the evening and still close to restaurants, bars and massage parlors. Would recommend as quiet, clean place to stay but close to everything.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Satyed here for 7 days and could have stayed a lot longer. The staff were so friendly and went above and beyond to help out. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and well furnished and had a great shower. Our room (201) had a large balcony with a partial view of the Mekong. The location is perfect. A 1 minute walk to the Mekong and a variety of bars, cafes and restaurants and a 5 minute stroll to the night market. The owner even arranged to drive us back to the airport. My only small criticism would be the breakfast could be better but wasn't a problem as great baguettes and cakes could be bought for next to nothing very close by. I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClovaTheWestie
Athens, Greece
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Stylish rooms, very clean, excellent location. Highly recomended!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple