“An eye for detail. Simply amazing!”
Review of Tum Tum Cheng - CLOSED

Tum Tum Cheng
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Bohol
“An eye for detail. Simply amazing!”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My wife and I have been in Luang Prabang for over four months working on a project. Because the quality of food is so good around town and the prices so reasonable we find ourselves eating out four or five times per week. For simple soups to up scale restaurants we have had very little to complain about.

It took us quite a while to get around to eating at Tum Tum Cheng but when we did we were not dissapointed. Simply put the food is by far the best Lao cooking we have eaten since our arrival. Each dish was meticulously prepared for taste and presentation and we were amazed with the creativity. The stuffed lemon grass was incredible and the soup simply stunning.

Sure the prices are on the higher side but when you consider the effort that goes into the food you simply can't complain. The previous reviewers who questioned the prices yet complimented the food confuse me as its not as if they hide the prices and compared to western restaurants it's still great value. Anyway, if you are looking for something special and a real feel/taste for Lao food give it a try.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank OztravelsAust

Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing food, Outrageous Prices”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

First of all, if you're using the 2010 Lonely Planet SE Asia on a shoestring book to find this place, you probably won't. But that's okay because the prices here are so high that if you are on a shoestring budget, you probably coulddn't afford it!

The food at Tum Tum Cheung was deffinitely some of the best we've had in Laos. Their dishes are sort of Laos/SE Asian traditional/fusion and are creatively conceived and well executed. But you will pay for it. Vegetable dishes ran from about 40,000 kip - 80,000 kip ($5 - $10), and meat dishes started around 70,000 kip and ran to 100,000+ ($9 - $12.50+). That may not sound like much, but for Laos I found it quite pricey. (Discosure: I'm sort of back-flash packing so $10 for any one dish is usually out of my budget). Also beer was considerably more expensive at Tum Tum (19,000 kip). It always bugs me when "nicer" restaurants mark up beer. Pretty much everywhere elese it was 12,000 kip or cheaper.

Anyway, final thoughts: Food was really great so I definitely don't regret going. It's pricey, but at least you get what you pay for. I recommend the stir fried eggplant (the one that comes with fried rice) and the stir fried pumpkin. Stay away from the lemongrass pork dish, unless you like chewing on chunks of lemangrass.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Chris E
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good food and great service”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My wife and I took my son and his wife to dinner at this nice restaurant. We sat on the front porch and watched the night time activities happening on the street. It was quiet and the staff were extremely attentive. The selection of foods was large and we were most surprised by the excellent quality of the foods served. My wife is Thai and even she remarked at how good the food was. Lao food at its best! Having been to LP on several occasions it was nice to find a restaurant that served real Lao food and not a fusion of confusion! We shall certainly return on our next visit.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank DIKTHAI
London, Canada
“Cooking class: great family fun”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

My husband and I took a class here with our two girls aged 8. Linda, the instructor, was fantastic. Hard to believe that she does not have kids because she was so great with ours. Firstly, it is clear that food hygiene is a priority here. Hands are washed frequently, tasting spoons are not re-used. Started with trip to market to learn about some traditional foods. Lessons on chopping, and making some pretty garnishes, plus info in food-related customs in Laos. The grunt work (boring slicing) was done for us so we could focus more on the techniques specific to the regions (e.g. How to stuff bamboo and lemongrass). We were given our choice of about 20 different recipes to make (one dish per customer). All turned out delicious! This was one of the most fun days we had in Laos.

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank marymandmarkw
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely food Lovely Setting”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

It took us a while to find it as it wasn't where the Lonely Planet guide had marked it on their map, so ask!
Once we were there we were treated to food of the highest standard, all presented beautifully by caring attentive waiting staff.
Music was included and we all came away thinking we had eaten some special food in a very special restaurant.

• Visited January 2012