“Nice hotel, a little noisy”
Review of Sopha House

Sopha House
Ranked #169 of 264 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice hotel, a little noisy”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Sopha House has a great location in Luang Prabang, just off the main street. There are only a small number of rooms and our room was on the ground floor, I think the nicer and bigger rooms are on the first floor. There was always someone there, so it was very safe and secure. The rooms were simple and had a fan and hot shower. They organised a pick up from the airport for us, which was very handy. If you're arranging a taxi back from Luang Prabang to the airport it shouldn't cost you any more than 40,000 kip (negotiate down to that!). The hotel also had free wifi. The only issue I had was some noise as the room was right on the road, scooters going up and down from early can be pretty noisy, so just pack some ear plugs.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are nicer and bigger. They all face onto the road, so bring ear plugs!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I had 3 nights here in one of the two upper floor rooms. Huge room with separate sitting room area, fridge, tv and effective a/c. Balcony area outside with lovely views over the Nam Khan river. Great for an early morning or evening drink.
There was a slight mix-up on arrival as they didn't seem to have my booking, but a quick call to the boss seemed to sort this out. Based on this and my smooth check out and their generally friendly manner, the staff were great.
Location was perfect. Close to but away from the hustle and bustle of the main street. Nice cafes, restaurants and bars a short walk in all directions.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay here and again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We had a very spacious room on the upper floor. It felt very clean, and the staff was friendly. I liked the location - it was easy to walk to the street market, the river, and around town. We went on a three-day village trek (through Tiger Trails - also recommended) while Sopha House kept our bags, and we came back and stayed in the same room for a couple more nights upon our return. We had some geckos in our room, but that's true of a number of the places we stayed in on our trip, and I like geckos, so it didn't bother me (they do chirp and leave little mouse-like poops, though!).

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the upper floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I love this place.
I love the people here.
I love friendship.
I feel good every time I think about it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank tumrak
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 16, 2011

My friends and I spent six nights at Sopha House, occupying both of the second-floor rooms. From the moment we were greeted on arrival by the ever-smiling Mr. Thong we found Sopha House delightful -- conveniently situated with a gorgeous view over the Nam Khan, quiet, comfortable, and thoroughly charming. I should note that the room charge doesn't include breakfast, but there are numerous cafes within easy walking distance. The main tourist street is a block away, and many of the major wats are nearby, but heavy foot traffic is absent from Sopha House's immediate surroundings. I would definitely stay there again -- and I hope to do so.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the second floor for the view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We had booked this hotel for a few nights and ended up staying for a week! We loved the location and the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. Our room was comfortable and all rooms had a view of the river - directly across the street from the hotel. I would definitely stay here again . . . and hope to!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv
Reviewed September 11, 2008

after booking at Ban Pack Luck, and not enjoying the price and the room we were given, we stroll the streets and found this perfect small place right on the banks of the khan river. it is right in the city center, walking distance from main street and nightmarket. the guesthouse contains 5 rooms. 3 in the lower floor, and 2 in the upper all wooden floor. one is with 2 twin beds and the other with large double bed. the rooms upstairs are huge and comfortable, beautifully Lao style decorated with bamboo boards, huge though firm bed (lao=firm),tv with sat, fridge, AC (very smart), fan. the shower is a little basic but the room is superb. outside there is a small balcony to gaze on the streetwalkers and riverlife. phouvong the night manager and the nice girl on the mornings were friendly efficent and happy to talk, explain and help, opening us a window to the local culture. we planed to stay 4 days but extended day after day and overall we stayed there almost 2 weeks enjoying the room, city and exploring daytrips with boats and bicycles. we were lucky to stay there during the august boat race which was crazy and was happening right on the street.

• Liked — location, size, comfort, design
  • Disliked — shower, cusions on chairs
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple