“Loved it!”

Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Bangkok, Thailand
“Loved it!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Really cozy familiar feel! I don't know how many rooms they have in total but apparently few enough to really pay attention to each guest individually. I am in Bangkok regularly for up to two month at the time and hence have to do a visa-run once in a while. I used to go to Angkor or Yangon but got tired of it, tourism has been exploding in both locations recently. So I decided to give Luang Prabang a shot At arrival I was warmly welcomed and already expected. After having rested for a while I was ready to explore the City for which I was offered a bike for free, which I kindly denied though. However, I kind of felt complimented and was happy to return a couple of hours later for dinner on their amazing terrace right by the Mekong River. The food was quite good and I really enjoyed the atmosphere watching the Sunset. To the rooms, the beds were really comfortable which I especially noticed the next morning not having an acing back which I normally do unfortunately. The furniture and deco was nicely picked, too. Finally, I really felt pampered throughout my stay, nothing in particular, just little gestures here and there that made me really feel welcome. I guess that is the biggest difference to bigger hotels where you tend to be well treated but in the end you are a number to them rather then a name. Glad to have found a nice place for a visa run; they used to annoy me, now I am actually kind of looking forward to the next one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed July 27, 2013

First of all, I just have to applaud the superbly compassionate staff and management! It seemed they knew what we desired before we did. I recently stayed here with my girlfriend for 5 nights, we took advantage of the offer of getting the 5th night for free, I don't know whether that might be seasonal though. However, I feel like we really "needed" each day to fully explore the surrounding (ask to use the bikes, it is free and a great way to explore the area with greater reach then on foot but more individual possibilities then being on a tour or in a taxi!). At the end of each day we always made sure to be back for sunset by the river. The restaurant on the terrace is directly by the river and has this special, very peaceful atmosphere to indulge in. The food (we stuck to regional food although they offer international cousin as well) was quite the treat and very reasonably priced as far as I can judge. I might add here that I always love to go for the freshly made fruit juices since they are hardly affordable if even available at this freshness in Europe! Imported soft-drinks and imported beer is about the same price (still cheaper then at home, though) but them I can get any day.
The hotel itself I love for its attention to detail! The wooden floors, the lightning and carefully collected furniture match perfectly and create a very cosy atmosphere to lay back after an adventurous but exhausting day checking out Luang Prabang. Also, what added to this was that the beds and linens were probably among the most comfortable I ever slept in even though I stayed the Millennium Hilton in Bangkok for the week before that and various other 5 and 6 star Hotels throughout the years. I love to treat myself from time to time, to be honest when booking I did not expect this stay to be an truly exceptional because the bill was not! HOwever, it turned out to be exactly that! I am sure to return whenever the chance arises, thanks again to all the staff for this experience!

1 Thank Egal0815
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Belle Rive is a charming little hotel overlooking the Mekong River. Staff is very helpful, room is lovely, breakfast is good. The terrace is the perfect spot to drink a toast to this beautiful place. Highly recommend!

1 Thank Chris H
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just returned from a short stay at BelleRive: Friendly and helpful staff, quick check-in. Clean, modern and quiet room with everything a traveller needs to feel comfortable. Breakfast at the Terrace overlooking the Mekong river is delicious with a good selection- a highlight of the stay. Complimentary bikes keep you mobile and fit. Highly recommended for honeymooners, couples and single travellers who wish to travel in style

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tom11004
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We never actually stayed at the Hotel but we ate and drank at the restaurant twice. What caught our attention was the brilliant location - right above the Mekong River. It provides a perfect viewing platform of the river in very comfortable and attractive surrounds. The menu is very good serving a full range of drinks and the food is fantastic offering a range of Lao, Thai and contemporary cuisine. The perfect place for an evening unwind and to watch the sun go down.

Room Tip: See other reviews. We would definitely stay here next time (when we're not back-packing!)
1 Thank edandlaura
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here last week for the first few days of our honeymoon and truly loved it. They upgraded us at no cost when we arrived because I think it was a quiet week. The room and bathroom was modern but comfortable and very clean. The bed was super comfy and the staff were very helpful- providing advice on sites to see and booking excursions for us. We also took full advantage of their bikes they let you borrow for free- a great way to see the city with a little breeze. The free breakfast was also very good, and the location made everything a quick walk or bike ride away. After staying at a few more hotels in Southeast Asia, our favorite is still the belle rive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGrl44
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Charming hotel located on the Mekong, close to the center of Luang Prabang. The service was excellent and the rooms were designed in artistic good taste, very clean and comfortable. It made our stay in charming Luang Prabang doubly so enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple