“With friend at The Belle Rive”

The Belle Rive Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“With friend at The Belle Rive”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay at The Belle Rive Hotel, not only for it's convenient (and romantic) location, but also for the excellent service we had received. For that i must include the maids, who did an excellent job as well. The rooms were spotless clean, the maids started cleaning as soon as we have left our rooms, so after a generous breakfast (on the beautiful terrace) one was able to enter again. Even though the hotel is located on a main street, it isn't noisy, so is the whole of Luang Prabang at nighttime. We'll be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Peter H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

The Belle Rive hotel may not be the cheapest hotel in Luang Prabang but it must be the best. The building itself is absolutely charming and the rooms are wonderful. Try and get a room with a balcony, the Tamarind rooms, and you will have your own private view of the mighty Mekong but don't worry if you can't as the riverside terrace, where you have breakfast, and the sun downer terrace are both great places to relax. The rooms are furnished superbly and i love being able to be in bed on the mezzanine level watching the river flow past.
The staff are really helpful, it has free wi-fi and this really is the perfect place to relax and watch life on the river flow past you.
The Belle Rive is without doubt one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, amazing!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank AnonLondon23
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The staff was amazing and answered the many questions we had; helped organize transportation and tours; provided directions; they even picked up an adapter for us in town when we discovered ours didn't work... Our windows opened to a balcony with a river view. Breakfast was included and generous--and you can enjoy it in the open-air cafe while watching the river peacefully flow by. Luang Prabang is a beautiful place (though more touristy than I expected) and this hotel added to the wonderful, relaxing experience we had there.

1 Thank Helga_Andrew
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2012

During a 2 week trip through Myanmar and Laos, this was the most expensive hotel we stayed at but it was not the best. We booked a deluxe room with Agoda and it was supposed to be 37 sq m. On arrival, the hotel blurb indicated 32 sq m, so we were duped by one or the other. Our room was Frangipane 4 in the middle building, up outside side steps, into building, then 2 more flights of steps, so beware if you have knee problems. Clean, well furnished (shower door not a tight fit - opens directly to the room so water comes out onto room floor). Lots of internal lights, so bright. No balcony but windows open out with a pleasant view of the river. However, the ANTS!!! - all over the writing table, my computer, along skirting etc. They were so tiny, at first you wonder what you are seeing and where else they have gotten into without you noticing. Had to ask for insect spray to zap and keep zapping. Staff have limited English, though pleasant enough. They grin at you but leave you in doubt as to whether they comprehend. We asked at reception for an early breakfast at 7am one day because we were leaving for an 8am tour. We were told Okay, Okay, Yes, Yes Yes. So next day, down we come for breakfast at 7am. In horror, the staff look at us and say No, No, No! Breakfast start 7.30! No cook! Start 7.30! Not all juices available and all tinned, not fresh. Breakfast okay. Dinner prices on the high side compared with similar offerings in town. Quoted airport transfer USD10 (but added10% tax which they don't tell you about until they hand you the bill and you query it) in hotel van similar to taxi van from airport which cost USD6 + no tax. There's no way we could see to book the airport taxi van back to the airport. This was the only hotel on our trip which charged extra tax on transfers. All the others were inclusive. For the boat trip to the cave, hotel quoted USD55 per trip for 2 people. Waterfall trip is same price. Expensive. We booked the same trips in town at less than half the price at Lao Discovery.

2 Thank loxmif
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here at the end of our 3 week trip through SE Asia...absolutely LOVED this hotel and loved Luang Prabang. The service is top notch, very friendly and warm staff - they are always smiling and accommodating to their guests. We stayed in Tamarind #4 which was fantastic. We had 2 levels, upstairs a loft with our bed, and downstairs a sitting area, bath, etc. We had a nice balcony which faced the Mekong River, we'd sit out there daily to watch the people go by...it was very relaxing.

The hotel has complimentary bicycles for the guests, it's a great way to cruise around the town to check out the sites. Also, they arranged a complimentary sunset boat tour for us one night (I had read they did this for another trip advisor reviewer so I asked them about it and they arranged a cruise for us). The sunset cruise was really neat - it was just the two of us and the boat driver and his wife. The best part of it was just sitting and chatting with them - they showed us their wedding pics, family pics - just the nicest young couple.

We really enjoyed our stay here - it's a fantastic hotel with a terrific staff. Yes, it is $$$$ for sure...I almost didn't book it due to the cost (you get what you pay for) but am glad we stayed here. My only suggestion would be to give the guests a FREE airport transfer/taxi and not charge the $10 each way. This hotel is expensive, and you'd think with the price the airport transfer would be included. Also, they charge you 3% extra if you pay with a credit card (many of the places in LP did this) which was a bummer.
Overall - a GREAT experience! Thank you!

Room Tip: Tamarind 4 was great!
2 Thank LuccaOllie
LA
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is an absolutely lovely hotel. The staff is warm and gracious; the rooms are beautifully furnished. I stayed at the Belle Rive for a week, departed to travel upriver for a week, and then returned - and was warmly welcomed back to my favorite room- for another four days. The charming members of the hotel staff just could not do enough to make me comfortable and happy. I had to make some changes in my travel plans, and the wonderful gal at the front desk was helpful, cheerful, and uncomplaining with every new change.

As I was traveling alone, I was quite concerned when I got sick after eating something unfortunate at one of the restaurants in town (not at the Bell Rive!). The staff checked on me every few hours,
bringing me soup and liquids, and offering to call a doctor. I was touched by the trouble they went to - nursing sick guests is not in their job description! Thanks to their care, being sick alone wasn't so scary, and I was soon feeling better.

I travel in this part of the world often, and the Belle Rive, for its location, its lovely rooms, and its caring staff truly stands out as a travel destination.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank shmhLa
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We spent 5 nights at The Belle Rive and we loved it.

Started with a warm welcome at the airport over to a also very warm welcome at the hotel with a refreshing drink while we checked-in. Already at the arrival we were amazed about the french colonial style of the hotel.

We had the lovely Tamarind Room with 2 stories and a balcony. So perfect for our little family because the day bed was perfectly set up for our little one and we had no disturbing extra bed in the room. We loved all the little details: fresh homemade cookies with daily refill, every day fresh fruits, tea and coffee facilities in the room and enough complementary drinking water. If you enter the hotel and also the room you can feel home away from home. Even the switch of the light is in a very good quality - it's glowing in the dark so you can find the switch.

I'm definitely addicted to the lime-mint-shake - it is so refreshing - I just loved it. The breakfast is served on the terrace on the other side of the street with a great look over the Mekong river. When I read that in the hotel description I had concerns and my first impression was 'how should that work, must be not so nice'. But the street is quiet and only view vehicles are passing by. Even our little one could easily cross this one-way-street. At the end it's even more charming that you cross the street.

The hotel offers continental breakfast and you can select from a wide variety (different egg styles, musli, yoghurt, fresh fruits, jam, honey, butter, different juices and more) and different asian breakfast or you also can order a sandwich instead. The hotel-restaurant offers the whole day a good variety of food: e.g. vegetable tempura, salad, french fries and/or local dishes and so much more. I didn't taste it all but whatever I tried it was good, delicious and nice presented.

The hotel offers a little selection of really nice books, which are hand picked by the owner himself and may offer you additional information on the city, the region, the country or even South East Asia. Order a coffee or a delicious drink and browse thru the small library.

One morning I went to see the monks walking through the streets and I found the little explanation in a nice presented book from the hotel very helpful not to bother the monks (I was embarrassed how many tourists didn't keep the distance). I thought the picture in that book of tourists putting their camera close to the monks faces are not real - but I saw it. Unfortunately it's real.

The hotel offers free bicycles. So you can easily explore the little town by bike. Watching the locals playing boule - another part of the French colonial times - was simply great.

Whenever we had questions e.g. for activities in or around the city, the hotel staff was always helpful and organized it for us. We explored the area around Luang Prabang and we totally enjoyed our stay there and we definitely want to come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family