“Delicious”

Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Great food in a busy restaurant. The Mok Pa was especially good. Recommend highly, worth a visit when in town.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,022)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I've been to Tamarind about 2 years back when I was in Luang Prabang and still remembered it being one of the best restaurants in LP. We had different dinner sets and tried many different cocktails, it was incredibly memorable and delicious! This was during high season so we had to make a reservation and it was so packed!

2 years later, I'm back at Tamarind. It's low season but still it was fully packed. Thank god it was only the two of us this time round so it was easy to get a seat. However, if you plan to come in a group, try to get there before 7pm or make a reservation!

I just recovered from food poisoning and wanted to treat myself to some thing fresh, clean and nice.

I went here with my friend. She ordered the pumpkin soup while I had the steamed fish with dill and basil(??) wrapped in banana leaf.

The pumpkin soup was delicious and proper pumpkin soup! It was creamy, thick, savoury with a light tinge of sweetness. It came with crispy rice cakes that went incredibly well with the soup.

The steamed fish with dill came with sticky rice and steamed vegetables. They didn't serve steamed rice here, only sticky rice which I don't think was great for my recovering stomach but I had some anyway. The steamed fish was succulent, fresh and the herbs really blended well with the meat! The best fish dish I had so far. The steamed vegetables were fresh and hearty.

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. When they sat us down, they gave us cold paper towels to clean our hands. Also, we had short conversations with the staff and the friendly manager.

I found the place a bit expensive and would probably save it for a special occasions.

However, if you are here for short term, it's a definite must-try!

The ala-carte main courses are more "pricey" in some sense but I think the dinner sets is absolutely fantastic and good value for money as you get to try almost every single lao dish at its best!

They've a wide range of tasty and unique cocktails/mocktails. My friend had the banana honey and soy milk shake which was sweet and refreshing! You could taste the freshness of the ingredients and it wasn't too sickly sweet. It was just the right blend.

We ended off the meal with the sticky purple rice dessert. It came with a range of different desserts in small portions. I loved it!!!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

of course I have not tried all resturants in the city, but this was indeed the best in my opinion. Exciting and new tastes, explanations on how this should be eaten Lao-style, but still not annoying as some resturants tend to make these explanations.
The place was packed even in the rainyseason, so try to book in advance

1  Thank Henrikgm
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Was a little disappointed the food was ok nothing special. service was very good and nice view from upstairs.Beer wasn't cold.

TamarindCaroline, Owner at Tamarind, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Think you might have visited another restaurant, not Tamarind. We have no upstairs, but another restaurant in town with a similar name has an upstairs balcony with a view of the street.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Excellent local cuisine and friendly/engaging service. As others mentioned, menu selections are described very well. Drinks are worth a try as well, and great location