“the best of Laos fusion”
Review of Tamarind

Tamarind
Ranked #12 of 203 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
“the best of Laos fusion”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Original in presentation and taste. We took their delightful cooking class one evening and then ate at the restaurant the second night--a wonderful sequel. A little insight?--MSG is considered to be a food flavourer like any other spice--just know that so you can decide to accept it or ask for it to be left out.
We will go back next time we are there--for sure!!

Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
melbourne
“Superb food, great location and excellent value”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We loved the food - tasty, spicy (as spicy as you like), with some of the Laotian delicacies - such as fried river moss - served in a nice open place (we had table on the verandah), with the Nam Khan river just across the road. Great value for money.

Visited January 2013
Pontevedra, Spain
“Good local food to western standards”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We enjoyed our meal in Tamarind. For something like $15 per person you can get a starter, main, dessert, cocktail and coffee, all of them of high quality. Very good value for the money. I recommend both the pork in lemongrass and the lemongrass stuffed with chicken. Would go again.

• Visited February 2013
New York City, New York
“Great Lao food and educational experience!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

There are lots of good restaurants in Luang Prabang, but I think Tamarind is in a category by itself and should not be compared to more conventional, but also excellent restaurants like L'Elephant, Blue Lagoon, Kitchen by the Mekong, etc. Tamarind is different because their mission is different. Their goal is to serve traditional Lao cuisine using the freshest local ingredients. While other great restaurants is town focus on a fusion menu with lots of Thai influence and Western choices. Tamarind takes a more purest approach. This is evident when you read their informative menu and website I had two dinners there on my last trip to Luang Prabang and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. I loved it because it was educational. You can learn about the food from reading the menu, but also the wait staff explains each dish. They are well trained and working hard to do their jobs well. I found the service to be very good, if not exactly like an upscale restaurant in the US, but I don't travel to places hoping to duplicate what I can experience at home. They were attentive, but not obtrusive, and very good at explaining the food they were serving. The food is traditional Lao, so don't expect Thai or French influences that would make it more familiar. Although I would not say I loved everything I ate there, I would say that it was all fresh and well prepared, maybe just not suited to my personal tastes. The lemon grass chicken was excellent and prepared and presented in such an interesting way. The dipping sauces were really fun to try and delicious. The atmosphere is charming, open front doors and overlooking the river across the street. I would recommend going with the idea that you will be having a delicious meal and taking a class in Lao cuisine at the same time. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
TamarindCaroline, Owner at Tamarind, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Joiseygoil,
It is so good to read your words and learn that you really appreciate what we try to achieve at Tamarind. While we have been thrilled to receive so many good reviews, there are customers who come to eat unprepared for the fact that trying a new and unusual cuisine may present challenging dishes and unusual flavours. We are happy you took the challenge with such positive results. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Ft. Thomas, Kentucky
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We researched where to eat and had to wait another day to get in to Tamarind because they are always booked. We just don't know why that is - the service was poor. Three of us had finished eating before the fourth person's dinner arrived. Two of us shared the tasting menu and found the selections to be boring - especially the soup - and overall disappointing. I would not tell anyone to go there.

• Visited February 2013