“Fantastic but pricy”
Review of Hive Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Hive Bar & Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
“Fantastic but pricy”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

On my second visit to luang prabang we stayed two weeks leaving just before xmas. I wanted to go back to hive bar as I had fond memories from two years earlier.

The place still has the feel of a great pub so sit and really relax.

Although we did show up for breakfast twice but there were no staff (?) We often came back in the evening.

The food is quite good but expensive so we only ate there once.

I would return in a heartbeat. Troy takes care of the hive bar, it's a shame the same cannot be said about the lao lao garden.

hivebarbacon, Owner at Hive Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 7, 2015
Glad you returned! sorry about that morning service, staff seems to be concentrating on getting things accomplished before the nights begin no excuse just the way it is, I've been working on that. we aim for high quality food, service (i know, need more day effort lol) and entertainment but really it doesn't come cheap, but we are still able to deliver the best BBQ ribs in Laos for about 10 dollars, thats not bad! Thanks for your positive comments, we are glad you enjoyed Hive bar, from me and the staff.
Troy

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
“Really bad!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We popped in for lunch so maybe we were at the wrong time of day.
Service was non existent, I had to walk around finding staff to a) get a drink b) order food and c) pay the bill. Surprised we didn't cook the meal.
I ordered a pizza, which was quite pricey, it was smaller than a frozen bite size pizza from Asda but it did taste good; the spare ribs were average at best.
Night time may be better but not for a day time meal!

• Visited December 2013
Cristofre, Owner at Hive Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
We did have your partners review removed from TripAdvisor as it violated TripAdvisor rules and contained incredibly untruthful information that we documented to TripAdvisor. As a result it is not clear whether or not you similar review also contains false information. Our busiest time is definitely in the evening, however, our staff are typically still quite attentive during the day. If there aren’t any customers in the bar, they may be busy doing other duties such as prepping for the evening etc. We do apologize if the service was not up to our normal standards, and we did discuss daytime service with our staff in recent meetings. Regarding our pizzas, the prices range from $5 to $9. They are 10 inches across which in our minds does not fall into the “bite size” category that you indicated. They are made from fresh, hand rolled dough, imported 100% mozzarella cheeses (not sub-standard “pizza cheese”), baked in our wood oven, and if you ordered one of our meat containing pizzas you would have received various in house smoked meats such as our famous bacon. It appears that you liked the taste even though you gave us only one star. Last I checked Asda bite size pizzas don’t even come close to ours.
Brisbane, Australia
“The fashion and dance shows are unforgettable”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Do not miss the fashion and dance show starting at 7pm every evening. The fashion show is a display of ethic dress and is presented in catwalk runway style. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, a group of six young male "dancers" then put on the most amazing and athletic display of dancing imaginable. Someone at the table next to me remarked: "Laos' got Talent!" and I strongly agree!

Visited January 2014
Caye Caulker, Belize
“Good entertainment pity about the portions”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the fashion show. I had expected it to be awful but the models were charming and their clothes beautiful. If there had been more local music it would have been even better. The breakdancers were excellent. Food and drinks are expensive but there is no couvert charge so fair value I thought.

Unfortunately our visit for breakfast was really poor. Being a big bacon fan I ordered the "Ultimate Bacon Breakfast" and was really disappointed with the portion size, especially the bacon. The bacon was very tasty but being a big bacon fan I really had hoped for more. The coffee was not great either.

• Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great for drinks and a light snack”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have to admit, I had to look at photos to remember this place. It was a really good night out with some friends we made along the way. I think this was the night we tried to go bowling! Don't! But as for this bar. Great time. And we probably consumed more than we should becasue it was such a fun time. Check it out.

• Visited March 2013