“Chill Before Dinner”
Review of Hive Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Hive Bar & Restaurant
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Went here for a quick drink before our meal. We ate outdoors on the rock chairs...a new experience for me as I do not equate comfort with rocks, but nonetheless it worked for me. They had 2 for 1 cocktails all night which was a perfect amount for me. The 2 cocktails have to be the same, so I ordered two mojitos that were pretty much what I expected. Not the greatest, but definitely drinkable and refreshing.

The bar was pretty much empty, but to be fair we went at 7:00pm. The staff were very quick to serve us and bring us our bill when we asked. The music was english top 40 which we enjoyed hearing for the first time in weeks. We tipped our waiter for his great service and told him we would be back. I'm not sure if it gets busier on a Friday or Saturday night, but we enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere.

I would recommend this place to anyone who likes good music, a relaxed indoor/outdoor experience and cheap 2 for 1 drinks. Heads up, everything closes at 11:30pm and tuk tuks try to rip you off the later it gets. We got a ride to our hotel for $30,000 kip which was the best price when we asked around.

There are newer reviews for Hive Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed July 26, 2012

My friend and I felt totally welcomed by the staff and owner. Great conversation and fun place to hang out, drink, and unwind or party depending on what part of the establishment you place yourself. Great garden out back. Did not get a chance to eat, so no food review, but menu looked good.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We visited this bar on several occasions and it became a favourite. We never ate here as it is more of a bar but drank lots of Beerlao. The staff are really friendly and took time to chat with us and make us feel really welcome. Drinks are not expensive and it has a fun atmosphere. Sit out in the front and watch the world go by and listen to the music. We enjoyed each of our visits and always were welcomed back and remembered on our return visits.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

The sister Bar to the original Hive Bar in Pakbeng (or is it the other way around?) it has a great atmosphere with a good drinks list beyond the standard Beer Lao.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is Luang Prabang in Lao, not New York City. It's amazing to have a place with this kind of mood and ambiance in Lao. I have spent numerous lazy afternoons and evenings eating, drinking and reading in this place. You gotta love it. I agree with a previous reader that you should stay away from Lao Lao. Buy it in any local store for a dollar or two if you really want to try it, but be forewarned of a massive headache at some point. So, if you want a a very cool place to hang out while in LP...this would be the place.