“Home Away From Home”

L'etranger Books and Tea
Ranked #5 of 25 Shopping in Luang Prabang
More attraction details
Owner description: Small café located in a small wooden house hidden behind trees where great books, tea, shakes & smoothies, good food, the best chai tea and selected movies can be found! Everything you need to feel cozy and homey far away from home.....
Reviewed November 30, 2013

After two months in Luang Prabang, I'll be sad to leave this place behind. The food isn't fast, but it is very good, with a mix of choices for homesick Westerners and people seeking more authentic local fare. The green curry is amazing, and so is the selection of locally-made artisan gifts displayed along with their assortment of used books. They are also a great place to find books on Lao culture. You can sit outside, in the bookstore, or upstairs in the loft. It is also the closest you can find to a movie-theatre in LP. Each night they play a movie on the TV upstairs, and a crowd of mostly tourist/expats come to watch. The screen isn't very big and it can be a bit noisy from the music next door, but if you want to enjoy a drink while lounging on cushions in a charming airconditioned space, it's not much of a deterrent. I've spent hours here, reading, meeting new people, or working on my laptop. (Yes, they do have wifi.)

Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is an excellent place to have some cafe lao and relax. The food is excellent and the owner is helpful and friendly. I've been twice so far and had the Tam Mak Kua (sticky rice with eggplant paste) and the sweet sticky rice with mango and recommend both!

There is a small section with locally made items like textiles and eco-friendly bamboo straws. For more local textiles and art, visit her shop, Kop Noi, just around the corner. If you buy something at either store, they will package it in a locally made cloth bag, rather than the ubiquitous plastic bag :)

There are also movie showings in the evening. I haven't gone yet but it sounds like a fun, easygoing time.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

If you're the type who wants to just sit back, relax and read then this is the place for you.

We spent almost a full day here - brunch up to 5:30pm - doing nothing (we did order, of course). They have a good selection of books, you can also exchange yours. As for menu, they serve quite a variety of food, a bit expensive for a cafe, but probably worth it for the ambience. They also have movie shows every night at 7pm, for free, you just have to order food or drinks (which is fair enough).

I had the chicken, cheese, basil baguette sandwich and it was lovely! They serve generous amount of wine, too. ;) the french (caucasian) lady who looks after the place during the day was very helpful and friendly. She can speak Lao, too!

We loved it here that we came back 3x during our 6 day stay here. :)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had heard about this place but hadn't come across it until our last day, after just finishing a long bike ride we decided to stop to relax. This place has got a lot of character, we decided to sit upstairs which was covered in comfy pillows. Was was going to be 10 minutes turned into over an hour, lots of tasty tea to try out, books everywhere and one thing I quite enjoyed was a huge collection of National Geographic that went back decades. They even allow you to throw on a movie from a collection of DVD's which is great if you have an afternoon were you just want to slouch around and do nothing.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I'm in no way a massive book person but my partner is so I had to go with her to get a new book and ended up loving this place. We were there every day we were in Luang Prabang. We went one night to watch a film and have dinner it was a great night lying on the cushions provided. Both me and my partner ended up leaving with a book too. Couple from Scotland.