“A classy store with locally made products.”

Kopnoi Export Promotion Center
Ranked #16 of 23 Shopping in Luang Prabang
Kilauea, Hawaii
“A classy store with locally made products.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

This store also had an exhibit about the area; it was more than just a store but also an informative experience.

Visited September 2011

New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fashion at the Hive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

Ignoring for the moment that Luang prabang may be the most fascinating town/city i have ever visited with every view and image a delight, I write to express my profound surprise and pleasure with the fashion show at the Hive, a nightspot in Luang Prabang. Confession--I know nothing of fashion and never before attended any sort of fashion show. Indeed, I was hoping to attend movie night ( 127 Hours) at the book store next door to the Hive. I did not see the movie and I am thrilled that I did not.

Upon entering the Hive I was stunned by the decor and ambience. There is comfortable outside seating in front of the Hive. The front room is not large but very comfortable. It is the patio area which most impressed me. It is in a garden setting. The funiture is very modern. All of the seats --I suspect the garden can hold 35-45people--have a view of three separate stages. The main stage is large and and is decorated by a fascinating hanging circular sculpture of multicolored large bottles. The main steage leads to two other raised stages located to the right of the audience. When the show began I was awestruck and remained that way throughtout the entire one hour performance. Approximately twenty models presented clothes from esssentially the same number of different Ethnic communities throughout Laos. Each community was represented by many distinct outfits. The clothes from each community were stunning. The models were not only lovely but the entire presentation was staged, choreographed, beautifully. Each model stood on each stage so all in the audience had more than ample time to see each outfit. The entire show was presented to music with a driving beat which in no way detracted from the presentation. Incredibly the show was free as the Hive's owner wants these remarkable clothes to be seen by as many people as possible.

My first recommendation is to go to Luang Prabang. My second recommendation is to treat your visit as a portal to multiple experiences and sights. Stay at least a week. You will not be sorry. While you are there do not miss the Ethnik fashion show at the Hive. It will surprise and delight you.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank miles228
happyinsapa
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“making it easy for you to be a responsible traveller...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

One of my favourite things to do each time I go to Luang Prabang is visit Kopnoi, a social responsible business with strong morals. Not only do they have the most incredibly beautiful pieces of handicrafts and gifts but they also have the most passionate team of staff.

I love spending hours searching through their wonderful products and it seems the more I search the more wonderful products I find. The range of raw hand woven cotton bedding, towels, scarves, duvet covers are simple incredible. Their hand woven silk scarves are just the most beautiful examples I have ever seen and at very reasonable prices. I could not resist and each time I go I pick up about 10 to give away to friends. You would be hard pressed to find any other handicrafts in all of LPB which match the level of quality at Kopnoi.

Often as travellers we give little thought to the impact we have on our holiday destination, it’s people, culture, economy and environment. Kopnoi is more then just a FANTASTIC authentic handicrafts shop, they are also very focussed on educating their consumers on the importance and obligation we all have as responsible travellers, they encourage us to make conscious decisions which impact LPB in a positive way.

I urge you to support this business as it is a way you can give back and travel with generosity while you are in LPB. One of the best ways we can give back is through skill based training and this is exactly what Kopnoi embraces.

Thank you so much to the team at Kopnoi I look forward to coming back in April.

Visited November 2010
Chiang Rai, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fair-trade Lao handicrafts with contemporary design”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

Kopnoi (which means a "little frog") is a gallery and a showcase shop located behind Mount Phousi. The ground floor is filled with fair-trade products made by local Lao artisans such as cotton clothes, silk textiles and handicrafts. Ever since we crossed the border to Laos, I hadn't been able to find eco-friendly soap and shampoo and I finally found them at Kopnoi! The bergamot and honey shampoos have a lovely smell and the alkali level seems to be low so you don't really need a conditioner. During our second visit to Luang Prabang, I also bought a naturally-dyed cotton skirt and a silver bracelet, both of which I really like and wear a lot.

All the products are representative Lao handicrafts but designed with an eye to Western tastes. Although the prices are genrally higher than average for Laos, the quality is good, the designs are original and appealing and I for one am happy to pay a little more for fair-trade products. On the second floor, there is a free exhibition to accompany the excellent "Stay Another Day" initiative, which encourages travellers to seek out more socially-conscious activities, products and projects in Laos. It's an excellent resource for travellers and I recommend you to check out their website for details: http://www.stay-another-day.org/

Kopnoi is a lovely place to come and have a look at beautiflly designed/made products. I think you can find places like Kopnoi more easily in Thailand and I was thinking throughout our travels in Laos why nobody had came up with with a shop providing more organic/natural/eco-friendly products. Well, in LP, I finally found it! Highly recommended.

1 Thank pechakucha
rpcv05
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“"more than a store"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2010

Visiting this tiny town, I was unaware of the scope of history and culture of the Lao people. When I visited Kopnoi, not only was I greeted by knowledgeable staff explaining the local product, but going to the upstairs exhibit that showcases the Lao people and their heritage, gave me an understanding of the Lao people and their colorful culture. Kopnoi, is one the few shops that totally promotes "made in Lao" products. It's focus is to give Lao villages a marketing arm for their products, creating sustainable development. The prices are good and there is quite a verity of products. Stop by and at least check out the exhibit upstairs.