“Less than average”

Utopia Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #23 of 201 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Asian, Bar, International, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Come and enjoy relaxing views overlooking the river. We have tropical gardens, river view yoga deck, tiki huts, beach volleyball courts, relaxing thai cushions, sofas, and bar stools. This is a place to come and relax. Enjoy food, drinks, and meet interesting people. Utopia is Zen by Day, Groovy by Night. Every evening we are by far the busiest place in the city. Utopia is a very special and unique place, and our typical customers will come back every day!! Don't wait until your last day to find Utopia.
New Zealand
“Less than average”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Badly in need of some maintenance. Some might call it character but I would say run down, big time. Food was bland and chips were stone cold. Wouldn't go back

Visited December 2013

• Thai first
Manchester
“Great bar BUT...”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This place is deserving of it's laid back hip reputation, with lots of great areas to chill and funky music, but it is massively let down by the blunt, rude female manager! What a mood kill! It's almost like she is doing you a favour by serving you, and if you go don't take dollar, she REALLY doesn't like that! We went back again, thinking maybe she was having a bad night, but no, she greeted us with the same abruptness. And she's clearly not moody from all the out of hours washing she does, as the place is very dirty! The cushions are covered in stains and marks I don't even want to know where from. Overall I would go back, but wait alittle longer at the bar in the hope someone else serves me, and maybe take some antibacterial wipes ;)

• Visited December 2013
Bellingen
“Badly needs a clean!!!”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I can see why everyone raves about this place. The concept is great. The layout is wonderful. The garden is beautiful. The fact that they encourage you to hang and chill is brilliant and not nearly as common in Laos as it is in Bali. BUT - it is so very dirty - and it doesnt have to be. I can see that the floor cushions are old and grubby and soiled with - no doubt - loads of sweat from lots of different hot customers. I can see that those cushions would be impossible to clean. A few have old wraps/shawls that are fast becoming as yuk as the cushions. So they could have nice Laos wraps/shawls gracing each cushion which are regularly cleaned. It would be an easy solution and surely not that costly? Does it have to be that the assumption is 'we are so hip and chilled that we don't even care about grot?'?!

And I am a bit worried about the safety of that bamboo chill out space. I hope I dont see a headline one day that says something like '3 foreigners killed and 10 injured at Utopian Cafe when a bamboo structure collapsed'!

• Visited November 2013
New York City, New York
“Go for the view, but not the service”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I've been in Laos for 3 years so I've seen a large range of restaurants. I've eaten at Utopia twice in 2012 and was really excited to go back on this trip. I went yesterday for lunch and today for breakfast. Yesterday was disappointing because my salad took +40 minutes and they forgot my friend's food, but I assumed it was because of the lunch rush so I went again today for breakfast. I was the only person there because my friend didn't want to go back. I had to ask twice if my omelet was coming and was ready to leave after waiting 40 minutes without even a cup of tea. When the omelet came, it was cold and tasteless. Staff were unapologetic. I overheard the foreign manager yesterday saying that he couldn't find good employees, but I know lots of other places ranging from $2 fried rice to $20 steaks that don't seem to have issues.

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Bar Ever”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Best Bar Ever! Really hidden, but worth the try and find it in the labyrinth of residential roads. Amazing athmosphere, they have a volley ball pitch and cushions you sit on in the terrace facing the river.

Visited November 2013