“The best restaurant in Luang Prabang among places I visited”

Tamnak Lao Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 220 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 21, 2013

This restaurant has very classic french colonial style and black colored wooden structure inside matches very well with white table cloth and red Lao style napkins. Closer to Wat Xentone and
near a school, more quiet than other restaurants in the city center.Specially tables on the balconies were so nice and comfortable. I had one of the four kinds of typical Lao cuisines set menu and was tasty.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Having read a number of the other reviews for this establishment and perhaps the problem we had was going there a little late for lunch???? Unfortunately, our experience of this restaurant was pretty bad. We started by being served by a Trainee and while there is nothing wrong with this as they need to learn they also need to be adequately supervised to be able to learn!!!

There were three of us and we ordered three drinks and four dishes from the menu. None of the orders were difficult yet of the seven only three (two drinks and one dish) were correct when serverd. Not a good start if you ask me!!!! The errors were the wrong drink, fried spring rolls served when fresh were ordered, chicken instead of prawns in a fried noodle dish and the dip!!!

This place promoted itself as serving "sensational tasting" food, well this was a big "dish" of false advertising!!! Whilst the food served was edible there was nothing that would be classed as outstanding or exceptional. I only hope that our experience was the exception rather than the rule but we would not return or recommend this establishment.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

After reading some of the other reviews,it seems you could have a hit or miss experience. Ours was good.

My wife and I shared the Lao Style Sweet & Sour Chicken, a Luang Prabang Salad, and Stir Fried Greens and Chinese Mushrooms. Along with a Lao beer and tea, the total was about $25.

One nice thing about this restaurant is that profits from the restaurant, cooking school, and book exchange go to help "Lao-Kids" which helps support schools, orphanages and COPE (Cooperative Orthotic Prosthetic Enterprise,) and other organizations.

VISA is accepted.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We did not have poor service, we had no service. We had a preordered meal with soup and a main course, and dessert. I ordered a shrimp and vegetable dish which had exactly 3 tiny shrimp. My wife ordered a fish dish in banana leaves, which she had ordered at another restaurant a few days ago. This was so bad she had to return it. They also never brought our tea or coffee. When I asked for the manager, I was told he had the night off. (Saturday night three blocks from the film festival, with a nearly packed house?)

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We went there for dinner. Excellent and tasty food. The fish dishes are extremely good. The restaurant also has singing and traditional dances. Nice show. The ambience is good. The service is outstanding. Will definitely go back there again.