“Good location, questionable bathrooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of MyLaoHome Xayana Guesthouse

MyLaoHome Xayana Guesthouse
Ranked #189 of 259 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Good location, questionable bathrooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the x3 capsule dorm area of the guesthouse. The price is good for the money conscious backpacker, as long as you don't mind 1 toilet and 1 very small waste basket for 8 people. The shower areas didn't have a hook for the hose, so the nozzle head just lays on the floor. Also, the staff aren't overly friendly or helpful.

However, the beds are big and comfortable for bunk beds, and each bunk has it's own outlet, making it easy to charge your electronics. The guesthouse is in a good location, close to the baguette stalls, night market, Phu Si and the Mekong. There is also a nice cafe (Joma), post office and mini mart just up the street.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Erica L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

From the first moment I loved this guesthouse. The street looks very nice, the staff is very friendly and helpful, the dorms are very good and cozy. Beds are pretty big, airco + 3 fans on the room. Good place to meet people.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stay in the Xayana guesthouses (both X3 and the Xayana) everytime I'm based in Luang Prabang, and it's always a good experience. The beds are clean and comfortable. Outside each of the guesthouses, there's enough space to hangout and meet the other guests. Good value for money, and great place to meet people from around the world.

The staff are also friendly and helpful. Great way to meet locals and get more familiar with the ins and outs of Luang Prabang.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in a double room for USD 12 a night. Pay at the counter if you can (it's USD 18 a night if you book through Agoda). The room was clean and tidy with hot showers and free wifi. 3 min walk from the night market. 2 min from the Mekong. It's true there's usually no one at the reception but you can go at the guesthouse across the street, which is a premium guesthouse run by the same staff. Probably the best value on Hoxieng street.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aymeric Z
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

There is no staff during night time, no phone numbers where to contact in urgent cases, wifi turned off, their regular phone number not answering. Also there is no female dorms.

Now this is a problem when your 6 male room mates return to the dorm room one by one in the night, between 2-3 am, some of them accompanied with ladies. They start a party in the room and soon there are three couples (six people) having sex in the dorm room!! A disgusting experience!

I had no other option than grab my belongings and go to look for an other place to stay in the middle of the night.

Also the hostel rooms are not in so good shape, the bathrooms are molded and smelly.

I give two stars, because next day I got a refund, after some arguments with the staff.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FemmeFalafel

Travelers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Cork
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my friend spent a night in a dormitory at this guesthouse. When we asked for the key for the dormitory we were told that as there were eight guests in that room, it wasn't possible to have keys. We went to bed at 11pm that night. At 5:30am I woke with a start to find a man hovering over me in my bed. He seemed to be reaching over me to what I later realised must have been my i-phone next to my pillow. When I screamed he ran off. I discussed the incident with the Manager the next morning. He listened well and apologised and offered us a secure room for the same price as the dorm. However, when I asked him to notify the police, he wasn't prepared to do so. He explained that there should have been front of house security keeping an eye on who was entering the guesthouse but that this clearly hadn't happened. I went myself to the police and had the incident recorded. I have a description of the intruder. I felt that the police man was not taking much notice. My advice would be to be careful if choosing to stay in this guesthouse, particularly in a dorm room. The Manager mentioned increasing security but I can't confirm whether this happened as we left right away.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank edwina2000w
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We booked online for 3 nights with a deposit already paid. When we arrived they tried to make us pay more including the deposit. It took a VERY long time explaining to them. Once it was settled they treated us very badly for the duration of our stay. However, we decided to stay a couple more nights to save on moving our luggage while we had day trips booked. We booked two extra nights and paid in dollars. Everything was settled, no problems. Then 30 mins later they approach us with our dollars and said that we underpaid by 12p. Yes TWELVE PENCE. We gave them 12p but they refused it. We only had large amounts of Kip notes which they wouldn't accept either because they didn't have change. We explained to them that it wasn't our mistake it was there's and we had already been given a receipt with a RED STAP staying PAID. They refused to reason with us so we were forced to leave. All they did during this mistake of there's was chuckle and laugh. It was extremely rude and very inconvenient as we had a trek booked the next day picking us up from that hostel. I would NOT recommend staying here. We then discovered that on the same road there was a much nicer hostel which was HALF the price. I don't recommend coming here. Avoid if possible.

• Stayed October 2013