“Too many rules!”

Ranked #185 of 261 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Too many rules!”
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

We had a large double room for $12 which was good value. But the first thing you'll notice are all the rules posted everywhere. No outside food, pay for luggage storage, etcetc. I've never seen so many excessive rules in any hotel in SE Asia! And they pushed us to take an expensive tuktuk to the airport, not telling us there's a much cheaper shared van option.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank butforthesky

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I just turned up at Xayana hoping to get a dorm at 3500 kip. None available but I really liked the location, down an alley of well-lit modern guesthouses so I took the private room with bathroom for 10000 kip. Not a choice I regret. Like-minded backpackers stayed here and I made many acquaintances. The staff were sweet though it was hard to communicate with one or two - my Lao is non-existent! Breakfast not included but there's a bakery round the corner or food market down the lane for some local rice porridge. The Mekong is at the end of the alley and the night market a 2minute walk away. Safe to walk here alone at night. Curfew not a problem; the staff do shut the door and most people are happy to party at the bowling alley so you should get a good night's sleep. Bathroom did smell musty but did not detract from enjoying my stay. For the price you dont get as much as you would say, in Vientiane, but LP seems to be a bit more expensive overall anyway. Dont let my 3/5s put you off; this is because it really was basic but I would not have stayed anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PixieDoux
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 15, 2011

This is our 3rd day of our 8 days Laos trip after an 12 hours bus ride from Vientiane to Luang Prabang through a bumpy ride. When we reach Luang Prabang and we are so tire and I lucky I got TA advise to go to Jom’s café side lane where there are lots of backpacker and guesthouse. We found Xayana guesthouse where there are capsules and budget room that have 4 bedrooms for 120.000 kip.

Here is my review on Xayana Guesthouse:-
Hotel Environment: Beautiful guesthouse as we reach at night and the whole guesthouse are light up and the room are quite reasonable even than Vientiane. What a surprise!!

Around the hotel: There is an upscale parent hotel opposite the Xayana guesthouse with more expensive room and a restaurant attached to it. The whole lanes are full of guesthouse with a variety category room and type. The lane is between Jom’s cafe and the Pos office.

Hotel Service & Staff: The management is from Singapore and Malaysia which make us more comfortable. As usual the locals hardly speak English but the foreign management will make you feel more comfortable with the better hospitality.

Room Comfort: The room for 4 person is quite spacious and there are a balcony all belong to the our room. But the balcony is just for the 4 bedroom. There are double bedroom behind which is quite reasonable as well. Overall I found it to be good.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank joeycw
Trumbull, Connecticut
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Good place. Value for the money. It is not a party hostel but it is clean n close to things. It was a little disorganized by asking people to pay each day instead of a lump sum. Also they did not honour their 24hr cancellation policy. I booked the bed for three nights. I emailed them 24 hrs before check-in to let them know that I will arrive a day later but will still stay for three days. They charged me the full amount for the third night even though I paid the deposit. very disorganized

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Kasandra1987
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed November 28, 2009

This place has a few rooms with shower and a/c and a dorm-type shared facility (the capsule part), which I didn't check out. It's near the head of the backpacker alley that starts near Cafe Joma. The same company owns a fancier hotel with restaurant across the street.

We got a room with two single beds for $15. There are both fans and a/c so you can choose whichever you prefer. The room was nothing special but clean, the beds were fine with sheets and blanket. Bathroom was clean too (shower and toilet together so floor gets wet) and hot water was sufficient. Soap and towel provided, no shampoo. No breakfast included, but there's plenty of cheap places to eat in the area.

The room had a shuttered windown with screen, it was cool enough at night to sleep without the a/c except the neighbors (another guesthouse) were having a loud party that kept one of us up. Late-night noise is not a huge issue in Luang Prabang, but the streets is almost all guesthouses packed close to each other, so you can get unlucky - as we did.

There's nothing spectacular about this place, but it's functional, clean and everything works. The room at the front has a king bed and two single beds plus a balcony overlooking the street, so it's brighter and can take a family or a small group. I think my friends got it for $18.

The guesthouse runs a small store on its ground floor that sells water, drinks (including beer), etc. so that's convenient. I think you can get toiletries too.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Laidback84
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 15, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at Xayana Guesthouse. We took a double room with fan. It's just 5 mins walk away from the night bazaar, a great location. There were basic amenities like hot shower, towels, and a clean room and bathroom, perfect for backpackers. There is also free internet at the reception office. However, the best part of the stay was that the staff could speak fluent English and were really helpful in answering our queries. There's also a really good restaurant across the road with great ambience in the evening. At the price of 80,000 kip per night, it was a good bargain. We'd definitely be back again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple