“Really comfortable - a great place to stay”

Manichan Guesthouse
Ranked #7 of 260 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Wellington
“Really comfortable - a great place to stay”
Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed here for three nights and really enjoyed our stay. It was in a great spot, close to everything and the room was very comfortable. We loved getting up to the outdoor breakfast every morning - the omelettes were delicious! They were very helpful with giving us ideas of things to do and places to eat. I would certainly recommend Guesthouse Manichan to anyone.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Manichan was a friendly, modern guest house which has really clean and fresh rooms which had recently been refurbished and a lovely shared courtyard in which breakfast is served. It's a very short walk from the main attractions such as the markets etc., yet very quiet and peaceful. The owner, Peter was very friendly and would go above and beyond to make us feel comfortable and to inform us about local attractions etc.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed April 26, 2010

As a frequent traveler to Luang Prabang (LPB), I have stayed at numerous guesthouses in town and I have to say it's hard to find "value for money" in LPB; most guesthouses are overpriced for their facilities and services.

Having done B&B hunting for more a year, I finally found a reasonable guesthouse with excellent service and wonderful hospitality, which is Guesthouse Manichan. Since I found this "treasure", I have never failed to stay at the Manichan every time I visit LPB.

As other reviewers have written, Peter and Manichan are great hosts and always ready to assist guests in any way (from early morning to late at night!) so that guests can feel comfortable and relaxed. After staying with them several times, I started feeling like I am homestaying with them.

Their excellent service, clean rooms, awesome breakfast, relaxing atmosphere...all can be attributed to the true hospitality by Peter and Manichan. Their friendliness and attentive services are the reason why this guesthouse attracts repeat guests, most of whome are very friendly and polite. I find it very amusing to share a breakfast table with other guests and have conversation with guests from around the world. Some of them come to Manichan Guesthouse through word of mouth, which demonstrates high satisfaction of the guests who have stayed at Manichan Guesthouse.

Another great thing about Manichan Guesthouse is the reasonable prices they offer - with all the great services and breakfast, their rates, I'd say, are "super" reasonable.

Words cannot describe the great experience I've had with Manichan Guesthouse. I highly recommend this guesthouse to any visitors to LPB who expect relaxing stay at a cozy place.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I arranged my reservation by emails with owner Peter after reading about the Manichan Guesthouse on TA. He was always prompt with replying and was able to meet our needs.
Peter and wife Linda/Manichan and their 2 small childen are delightfully friendly and relaxed hosts. Our very clean and airy rooms were serviced and had very comfortable beds. It is a very quiet spot in a laneway with residential properties around it.
Breakfast around the outdoor communal table was delicious with warm french bread, home made jams, juice, tea/coffee and eggs cooked to your liking - best omelette's around. It was a great opportunity to talk to other travellers.
The position was perfect for us, near the river and the main street. The morning market was 5 metres up the lane from the front of the guesthouse and the night food stall laneway was a 2 minute walk further up towards the main street and also the night market (held in the main street nightly). All the sights of the town were close by.
Our laundry was able to be done by the guest house and advice given about booking tickets and anything else.
We were able to leave luggage there when we went away for a couple of nights and then returned.
You are made to feel like family friends and my 16 yr old son enjoyed having his own room while staying there as it was so well priced we let him do this.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Portland, OR
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I really enjoyed my four night stay with Peter and Manichan at their lovely guesthouse. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. Every morning, I savored the most wonderful breakfasts prepared by Peter, a former chef in Antwerp. He makes the best omelettes served with fresh museli, yogurt, and generous portions of fresh fruit! I would recommend this place to anyone. Be sure to contact them in advance as they do book up! Luang Prabang itself is a fantastic place to visit and this guesthouse is well-located near the river and the main streets but on a quiet smaller street.

Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Germany
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Manichan guesthouse is an ideal place to discover the pleasures of Luang Prabang: centrally located (right in the middle of the morning market), excellent service, delicious breakfast and a very warm and welcoming atmosphere! If we ever come back to Luang Prabang, we will certainly ask Manichan and Peter first if they have any vacancies!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
VANCOUVER
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed only 2 nights 3 days in LP. Thanks to Manichan and its staff, we could maximize our experiences of this town and people. We cannot expect more kindness and welcomeness from the staff and owner of Manichan. I suppose because of this, this place attracts all the good tourists. We met most of the guests during our stay period, usually during breakfast, and found all very interesting, relaxed, and content.

The breakfast is very nice and sufficient. Eggs any style, good bread, home made jam and honey, fresh fruits. Good coffee and tea all day long. All from good ingredients available here. No bacon, or ham that are not from here. Yes beer was nice in the afternoon.

Guesthouse Manichan is clean everywhere. I am particularly keen on the bad smell and found this place very acceptable. We stayed in a shared bath room. I heard that private bath room had some smell issuess,

I must repeat that staff is truly excellent. The location is just fine as LP is tiny. No river view here although it is located 1 block from the river. I find, after visiting LP, views from your room in LP are irrelevant. However, we had very beautiful view of sunrise over the temple on the hill from veranda. Morning and night markets are right there.

Speaking of food, bread and pastries are just fine. No need to go to special places for these. I would avoid fish. 3 Nagas has decent dishes in nice atmosphere. Tamarind is one timer place, and over priced for what it is. I think traditional Laotian food can be better with a little bit of twist. We had delicious curries on the same street, at a hole in the wall place for lunch. I would avoid wine bars. Stick to beer.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple