“Lao Hospitality at its Best!”

and 1 more site!
Manichan Guesthouse
Ranked #7 of 272 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This review is quiet late but I have to write it to share our wonderful experience at Guesthouse Manichan. We booked two rooms directly on their website and and Peter, the owner, confirmed our booking by e-mail. He gave us valuable information about Luang Prabang even before our arrival in Luang Prabang. The property is located near the National Mueum and the Mekong River. The rooms are new and clean, they have A/C and fan rooms. We stayed at Rooms ! & 2 which are both comfortable and well designed. Although they didn't serve buffet breakfast the serving came in big portions so it is adequate and filling. I like the cereals and the youghurt. Eggs are cooked according to your preference (sunny side up, scrambled, or omelette). Peter and wife, Manichan, treated guests like family members - you can feel their sincerity and the warmth of their friendship. The couples are willing to go out of their way to assist and please their guests. They arranged a half day elephant tour for us, and also our transportation to Vang Vieng. Peter even went to the market to buy me some cereals since I didn't have time to do it myself. With the price we paid for the rooms and the exellent customer service we got we really enjoyed our time in Luang Prabang and Guesthouse Manichan is definitely a big factor for this.

Room Tip: The rooms at the ground floor are near the dining area and garden, Wi-Fi is strong compared to rooms...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank pinoytraveller2

Reviewed December 7, 2013

The best part about Manichan Guesthouse is the hospitality. Peter was very friendly and helpful, always up for chatting or offering recommendations for our time in Luang Prabang and Laos in general. The courtyard makes for a very communal atmosphere, so we enjoyed eating breakfast with other guests and meeting travelers from around the world. Breakfast was tasty - fresh croissants, yogurt, granola, fruit, eggs. The location is convenient and on a quiet street. We were half a block from the riverfront and close to the night market, but removed enough to have some peace. The room was comfortable - nothing extraordinary, but definitely comfortable. But what really made the stay was how much we felt at home. Also, Jack the puppy was endlessly adorable.

Room Tip: We were on the ground level near the courtyard, so we got some noise in the morning when others were...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. We enjoyed breakfast which was served on a large table outside - a great space to meet other guests and chat! Peter helped us organise fantastic trips to the elephant village, Xiang Si and Tad Sae waterfalls. The location is great, with just a short walk to the main street. We got up early one morning (5.30am) to find a bustling early morning market just up the road! Overall, a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2013

For positives, the place is very clean, food is great and almost all the staff was very friendly and helpful. One negative is the male owner was rude to me since I first arrived.

My flight arrived early and I waited a bit but their driver who was supposed to pick me up wasn’t there and I didn’t know how long it was going to be. So I took anther taxi with a couple to get to the guesthouse and when I arrived he was disappointed and said, “You should have waited, now I have to pay the driver”, not knowing how long it may take and I was alone at the airport in a country I’ve never been in before.

Then I felt I was just inconveniencing him by asking basic questions like where the bathroom was. He was only half polite to me when he was trying to sell me one of the tours.

But all of the other staff are wonderful and it was overall a comfortable place. But I ended up changing guesthouses because I didn’t need the attitude.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mel C
Reviewed November 22, 2013

As senior citizens with mid-range budget, my wife & I recently visited Luang Prabang, Laos and stayed at Guesthouse Manichan. The accommodation was just what we were looking for. Very conveniently situated near to the Mekong river and the Main Street, visiting any part of the city was pretty easy. Friendly and courteous staff of the Guest House, clean and comfortable rooms with pleasant environs made our stay deeply satisfying. The owner , Peter and his wife, Manichan were like our extended family members - they were such gracious hosts ! We would strongly recommend travellers like us to stay at Manichan and enjoy sights of Tourist interest in and around the city

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a fantastic time in Luang Prabang and this guesthouse was very much a part of this great experience.

We stayed for 3 nights. Made a reservation through email and got response from Peter quite quickly. The location is great. Right in the center of the old town, you can do pretty much anything on foot. We had a bit of trouble finding it though, since it's tucked away in a quiet little street, but if you prepare a little you shouldn't have that much trouble.

The service is very good as well. Peter and Manichan are very friendly and helpful as well as the ladies who work in the kitchen and keep the place clean. On checkin you will receive a map and some tips on things to in and around the town.

The rooms have everything you need (a nice bed and an AC/fan) and are clean. We had a room with a communal bathroom, which is good and clean, though the water pressure is a bit low.

The breakfast is also very good, with a lot of options. The breakfast area is basically a big table where everyone sits, which is great because you will meet your fellow guests and share stories and tips. Also a great place to meet people to share taxi's and boats with to the attractions that are a little far from town.

Also the free tea, coffee and water is a nice little perk.

Enjoyed our stay here massively and would definately stay here again should we return to Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

For a guesthouse, manichan's is one of the friendliest places I have stayed. It really is like visiting family. I love the family breakfast table under the thatched awning and the great conversations and helpful hints. Manichan herself was always there to help and make suggestions about things to do, even walking us down to the river for lunch and ensuring the staff knew what we wanted. The food is fresh and tasty. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean. The bathroom is basic, but the water is hot and sufficient towels are provided. We had an absolutely delightful stay and would return.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends