“Not good value for $”

MyLaoHome Boutique Hotel
Ottawa, Canada
“Not good value for $”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Rooms were dark and need renovation. A little dirty also. Internet in the rooms never worked and lobby Internet was spotty. Staff spoke practically no English. Our travel agent booked this only because there were no other rooms at their usual hotels in town. For the price I would try elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I booked through Expedia and expected a decent standard room, on arrival I found that I was on the ground floor in a dark room with windows looking onto a/c outlets etc. I immediately insisted that I expected a better room for the price and they moved me but said I would have to move back to this room on the third night. Anyway they did allow me to stay in the better room three nights, but on the first morning not 1 but 2 staff members refused to allow me to have breakfast which was included. They did sort this out and the manager in apologising offered me a free massage at the spa, but I made a booking and nobody turned up. The wifi worked on only 1 day in my room or anywhere close by. The 4th night I was in a superior room which was grubby, ground floor and window views of a/c outlets etc....sub-standard. The staff whilst smiling were unwilling or incompetent to deal with these issues. It certainly coloured my experience of LPB which is a lovely town, a comedy of errors.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Hamish N

Travelers are raving about these Luang Prabang hotels

Aldershot
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed in a delux room and it was very nice indeed.The hotel is 5 minutes from the day market, the night market and the Mekong river plus numerous restaurants.The staff here were really friendly and helpful, Breakfast was good with eggs cooked to order

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shotsblue
tasmania
Reviewed November 12, 2012

we stayed here for 2 nights as part of our tour, the staff were very friendly, everything was nice and clean. there was an ATM and currency exchange withine close proximity as well as a western union branch. a nice bakery at the end of the street and close to markets etc. Just over the road was a place we could get washing done or get a massage , all at a reasonable price. all in all a nice place to stay in this historic town

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank oztourist42
Thalang District, Thailand
Reviewed October 28, 2012

i have been luang prabang 5 day i stay at new daraphet hotel good location is in the old town around by temple nearly Mekong river, local morning market and night market, the staff is very helpful Tradition Lao Style room, very clean and easy walk to restaurant, bakery,

Room Tip: delux room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jonh m
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I didn’t book anywhere to stay in LPB so when I got there I took a tuk tuk to show me the main street where most the guest houses are. This was near Joma - there were many guest houses and hotels near but New Daraphet Villa took my attention straight away, the outside was very tidy and the plants were kept neat. I asked how much the room was and they said $60 for a deluxe room so I took a look. The room was big enough for me and my partner and the bathroom had a bath which was a bonus, since most the places I have been in Laos and Asia don't supply this, and if they do it is much more expensive.

We settled in and the receptionist was very helpful - he said we had buffet breakfast included. So we spent the first night there. In the morning we woke up to find a very big layout of English food, Laos food, freshly fried eggs which were cooked right in front of you and different types of fresh fruit. I and my partner were very surprised and happy to see how much food they had supplied and very happy every day we stayed here.

In the day time it was very easy to get around as the road where the guest house was very near everything you wanted to see - and tuk tuk where always available to take me to visit different places or to take us to fantastic restaurants on the rivers. I would defiantly come back to New Daraphet Villa.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 22, 2012

i enjoy to stay in New daraphet villa,nice design building(Tradition Lao Style)good location is in the town,near mekong river,morning&night market,phousi mountain,musuem,very conveniece the hotel, staff is very kind,for the breakfast i like if,has a live egg&tradition lao style beef noodle station and other dish.also from the hotel to airport is near just 15 min.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends