“A relaxing retreat”

Ranked #2 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Hanoi, Vietnam
“A relaxing retreat”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I stayed at the Mekong Riverview for 2 nights. The entire trip was lovely. I was picked up at the airport, my room was ready when I arrived, and Daniel, the manager, sat down with me and showed me all the good spots and his recommendations in Luang Prabang. Everything about the hotel was great. The bed is amazing - I slept so well! The one-way golf cart service is really nice, particularly on a hot, humid day. Breakfast was very tasty and I got it to enjoy it from my own balcony overlooking the Mekong. The room itself was very clean and attractive, and the big safe was a nice plus. Overall it was a great place to come back to after a hot, busy day out in Luang Prabang. The staff was very friendly and attentive but never pushy or overwhelming, which I appreciated. I had a fabulous stay and would go there again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Surbiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We were here for a week, on a family holiday which took us to Cambodia and Singapore, and this was the most wonderful part of a fantastic holiday. Spending so much time in the town confirmed our choice of hotel. There are a few other "boutique" hotels, but without a doubt, the Mekong Riverview has the best location, is the most attractive and surely the best staff. It is a jewel in the old charming part of a beatuiful town.

Urban, the owner, has created an immaculate place, perfectly suited to the heritage of the town, adding extremely high levels of comfort and excellent hospitality. Daniel, the hotel manager, is outstanding, looking after our booking and all our requirements, from the time of early emails and all throughout our stay. The hotel staff were all great, always available to look after us, drop us in town in the golf-cart, and deal with any concern.

With 3 children (15, 13 and 8 years), we had quite a range of "interests", and Daniel was able to help us with every question we could throw at him. We were provided with a great local map, noted with his own tips for food, restaurants, places of interest, trips nearby and far, local customs. He liaised with the tour companies with which we had pre-booked tours, ensuring they provided us with the best service (on reflection, we would have been better to leave these tours until our arrival and get Daniel to arrange). Our stay coincided with a very important Buddhist day of celebration, and he organised for me to join one of his staff at the dawn alms-giving ceremony, complete with suitable fresh food. He organised a special trip for us to visit a few remote villages, providing us with a driver and information about the villages. It was such a memorable trip for us, off the tourist-track, meeting lovely local Lao people. The hotel hospitality at all times was attentive and personal - perfect for holidays so far from home.

Our family had three rooms next to one another and we shared a lovely verandah overlooking the river. A perfect place to relax in the afternoon, read, watch the river activity, and just soak up the atmosphere. The rooms are beautifully designed and decorated, very spacious, immaculately clean, and with the best beds we have ever had in a hotel. My children thought it was such luxury to use the controls to raise and lower their beds - perfect for reading, PSP, Nintendo DS, iPod! Added touches, such as complimentary soft drinks and water, were such a welcome flavour of their hospitality. The air-conditioning was a blessing - a relief after exploring in the heat!

Breakfast on the verandah was excellent, all made to order Western or Asian food (eggs, bacon, mushrooms, etc, plus wonderful pancakes), cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, delicious local bread and pastries. It was always the perfect start to our day. Daniel pointed us in the right direction for all our other meals and in particular we loved Blue Lagoon for dinner (3 nights, all perfect! fantastic cuisine meeting all our demands - Asian/Luang Pragang/Western) and Joma for lunch and coffee and treats (banana bread, bagels, chilli, sandwiches, and the best coffee).

The best thing about this hotel? Everything. Its perfect.
The worst thing? saying goodbye.

You will have a perfect stay at the Mekong Riverview Hotel, and you will feel lucky to have found such a gem. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Spain
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We stayed there 2 nights and I with I could have stayed longer. Wonderful hotel, with really nice large room with a veranda overlooking the Mekong, excellent breakfast (we took it in our veranda) and even better service.
The location is really good, nice, quiet and close to the main sites.
We could borrow the bycicles to move around and thay also took us to the pier by golf car.
The staff was really professional and kind, when we arrived we were given some reccomendations by the manager which were really helpful. We also met the owner, who was very kind too and liked to talk wih the guests.
I must thank them all for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I stayed at the Mekong Riverview Hotel for a week in April and can highly recommend it.

The hotel has nice river views, is quiet (though there was some building work going on next door while I was staying there), conveniently located and provides the best breakfasts (by far) I have encountered anywhere in Asia.

But what stands out is the personal touches. The staff are all very friendly, helpful and have good english. The hotel also goes out of its way to provide helpful advise on places to visit in the town, which tour operators to use and recommendations for dining options (Blue Lagoon was recommended, and rightly so. It has very good western and asian menu options, and a very friendly chef).

The owner of the hotel inviting all the guests to join him for a few glasses of wine in the evening served to make the hotel seem relaxed and inviting. I was also impressed by little details such as the (non-alcoholic) mini-bar being complimentary.

I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again. I didn't see any other hotel in town that looked like it would be nicer to stay in.

While you are in Luang Prabang you might want to visit Big Brother Mouse (near the hotel) where you can help local orphans learn english.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Had the pleasure of staying at the hotel late May. Hotel facilities are good, the location could not be better - away from the “noisy” part of Luang Prabang, but within walking distance to the centre of the city and with a great view to the Mekong River. Easy pick up and drop off service from/to the airport, free bikes to explore the city and the vicinity and a free drop off service from the hotel to the many restaurants in town. Daniel, Urban and the staff are just great, extremely service minded, friendly, helpful and charming.
All in all; I would definitely go back to the hotel and without any hesitation recommend the hotel to my friends !

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Bangkok
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I chose this hotel because at the time it was rated No 1 on TripAdvisor. We were a group of 3 with 2 rooms - my partner and I in one room and our friend in the other. I have read all the lower-ranked reviews and management's response to them. I should also point out that I lived in Laos for several years and have been to Luang Prabang many times over the years starting in 1996. I have sampled many hotels on offer in Luang Prabang.

In all fairness this is a very good hotel in many ways. The location is excellent - on the river, near Wat Xiangthong, relatively quiet, yet not too far from the action - the staff, including the manager, are very friendly and accommodating, the rooms are clean and elegant and the overall ambience is very pleasant indeed.

A couple of quibbles: the toilets are a trifle too small and the breakfast, while quite reasonable, was not what you would expect for $190 a night, where I would expect excellent French bread and special jams.

And this leads me to my biggest issue with the hotel: it's OVER-PRICED. If the owner/manager really does think this place is value for money I suggest he spends a bit more time in similarly-priced hotels in Vientiane and other countries. It's not acceptable to say that Laos is expensive. In fact, this is nonsense. In Laos staff salaries are a fraction of those in Europe, North America and Australia yet this is not reflected in the rates of the hotel!

So, in a nutshell, a very good hotel which by Lao standards is perhaps reasonably priced at $120 but is way, way too expensive during the high season at $190. This is considerably more expensive than the most expensive hotels in Vientiane - e.g. Settha Palace, Green Park, both of which are quite superior in all respects.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank GaryBangkok
MekongLuangPrabang, Owner at Mekong Riverview Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Thank You for Your review and I understand Your points. First of all I have to say that we are not just sitting up here in the north of Laos not being aware of prices and quality of hotels elsewhere. But You cannot compare prices in other countries or even in Vientiane with Luang Prabang. When booking a hotel in Luang Prabang You have to compare it with the other hotels in Luang Prabang. We strive to give our guests top value for money and we are working very hard with improvements every day. Since a month back we have also introduced a new “guarantee” for our guests, which we are the only hotel in Luang Prabang to offer. We are so confident the guests are going to enjoy their stay with us, that if they for some reason would not be happy with Mekong Riverview Hotel after their first night they are allowed to cancel the rest of their nights booked free of charge. Both Daniel and I can put our word of honor on that we are going to be the most value for money hotel in Luang Prabang when we start the upcoming “high season” starting 1st November (season and rates described in the review). Before that date we are presenting dramatic improvements both in the reception area, the rooms and the hotel surroundings. Our news and improvements will be presented on our website. Urban, Owner.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We recently had 6 nights at Riverview and can only agree with everything already said on Tripadvisor. The position is great and Daniel and the staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful. The other great treat here were the other guests. We never went to breakfast or sat outside the office terrace without having a great conversation with other guests.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple