“Great stay”

Mekong Riverview Hotel
Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Had the pleasure of staying at the hotel late May. Hotel facilities are good, the location could not be better - away from the “noisy” part of Luang Prabang, but within walking distance to the centre of the city and with a great view to the Mekong River. Easy pick up and drop off service from/to the airport, free bikes to explore the city and the vicinity and a free drop off service from the hotel to the many restaurants in town. Daniel, Urban and the staff are just great, extremely service minded, friendly, helpful and charming.
All in all; I would definitely go back to the hotel and without any hesitation recommend the hotel to my friends !

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed July 5, 2010

I chose this hotel because at the time it was rated No 1 on TripAdvisor. We were a group of 3 with 2 rooms - my partner and I in one room and our friend in the other. I have read all the lower-ranked reviews and management's response to them. I should also point out that I lived in Laos for several years and have been to Luang Prabang many times over the years starting in 1996. I have sampled many hotels on offer in Luang Prabang.

In all fairness this is a very good hotel in many ways. The location is excellent - on the river, near Wat Xiangthong, relatively quiet, yet not too far from the action - the staff, including the manager, are very friendly and accommodating, the rooms are clean and elegant and the overall ambience is very pleasant indeed.

A couple of quibbles: the toilets are a trifle too small and the breakfast, while quite reasonable, was not what you would expect for $190 a night, where I would expect excellent French bread and special jams.

And this leads me to my biggest issue with the hotel: it's OVER-PRICED. If the owner/manager really does think this place is value for money I suggest he spends a bit more time in similarly-priced hotels in Vientiane and other countries. It's not acceptable to say that Laos is expensive. In fact, this is nonsense. In Laos staff salaries are a fraction of those in Europe, North America and Australia yet this is not reflected in the rates of the hotel!

So, in a nutshell, a very good hotel which by Lao standards is perhaps reasonably priced at $120 but is way, way too expensive during the high season at $190. This is considerably more expensive than the most expensive hotels in Vientiane - e.g. Settha Palace, Green Park, both of which are quite superior in all respects.

• Stayed: November 2009
1  Thank GaryBangkok
MekongLuangPrabang, Owner at Mekong Riverview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2010

Thank You for Your review and I understand Your points. First of all I have to say that we are not just sitting up here in the north of Laos not being aware of prices and quality of hotels elsewhere. But You cannot compare prices in other countries or even in Vientiane with Luang Prabang. When booking a hotel in Luang Prabang You have to compare it with the other hotels in Luang Prabang. We strive to give our guests top value for money and we are working very hard with improvements every day. Since a month back we have also introduced a new “guarantee” for our guests, which we are the only hotel in Luang Prabang to offer. We are so confident the guests are going to enjoy their stay with us, that if they for some reason would not be happy with Mekong Riverview Hotel after their first night they are allowed to cancel the rest of their nights booked free of charge. Both Daniel and I can put our word of honor on that we are going to be the most value for money hotel in Luang Prabang when we start the upcoming “high season” starting 1st November (season and rates described in the review). Before that date we are presenting dramatic improvements both in the reception area, the rooms and the hotel surroundings. Our news and improvements will be presented on our website. Urban, Owner.

Reviewed July 5, 2010

We recently had 6 nights at Riverview and can only agree with everything already said on Tripadvisor. The position is great and Daniel and the staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful. The other great treat here were the other guests. We never went to breakfast or sat outside the office terrace without having a great conversation with other guests.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Never wrote a review before but felt I had to share how wonderful this hotel is.Having travelled around Vietnam and Cambodia with my daughter and husband for 3 weeks, I decided to tag on 5 days on my own in Laos. From the minute I arrived at the Mekong Riverview hotel I felt welcomed and 'at home'. With my welcome drink in hand, I met Daniel, the Swedish manager, who sat down with me to go through a map of the town - filling me in on different places to eat and sights to see. I've met many nice people in many different countries over the years but I must say that in Daniel I met an EXCEPTIONALLY nice person(!) - I stayed 3 nights in the Riverview and he went out of his way to be helpful and friendly, organising a trip up the river and a drive to see some local villages - seeing me off himself with a couple of very welcome complimentary bottles of cold water and making sure that the driver and the boat guy were taking me exactly where he felt I should see! Daniel has such an easy, friendly way with people - he always had the time to stop and chat with guests and all questions and requests are met with a smile and immediate helpful response. I mentioned to him that I would need to fly from Vientiane to Bangkok to connect with my return flight on the Saturday and the next day he handed me a piece of paper with available flights to Bangkok from Vientiane- with times and costs!He then told me he could book a hotel in Vientiane for me that he uses himself - and again, all done by that evening! He got the driver for my trip to the villages to drop me first to an ATM and then to the bus station so I could buy my ticket to Viantiane and he advised me as to which bus I should book (VIP rather than local). His helpfulness really went way beyond what I'd normally expect (or get !)in any 5-star hotel - I didn't once see him hassled or even the slightest bit irritated- not sure if its just that the laid-back atmosphere in Luang Prabang has rubbed off on him, but he's definitely one genuinely nice, helpful person!
And all the staff in the hotel have this friendly, helpful, 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude as well. They even had a golf-buggy outside the door in case any guest would like to be dropped (free of charge) somewhere in the town (which by the way is only a minute's walk away). My room was lovely - roomy and comfy, with a mini fridge stocked with complimentary waters and soft drinks ,and a supremely comfortable, remote-control adjustable bed! - must say, never thought i'd sleep in one of THOSE in Laos!! Complimentary bikes are available for guests to explore the area. And last but not least, the breakfast is lovely - not the most extensive buffet maybe, but lovely fresh rolls and croissants, with fresh squeezed orange juice and some cheeses, meats, fruits and yoghurts - and then a nice cooked menu to choose from. I had lovely omlettes and on the last day I indulged in the 'special' - fried fresh pineapple and banana finished in honey - yum!! This is a small hotel but i'd definitely recommend it if you like a warm welcome and a comfy, home-from-home feel (just nicer bed than home!!) - couple that with great location and Laos magic and you've got a memorable experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2010

My husband and I have recently returned home after our second visit to Luang Prabang, Laos. Last October, we stayed at Mekong Riverview Hotel for three weeks and as a result of our wonderful restful stay in this exceptional hotel, we returned once again for five nights in May. Mekong Riverview Hotel is a fine boutique hotel that offers five star accommodation, service and amenities. Its position at the tip of the peninsula has the best view of all accommodation in Luang Prabang and the Manager, Daniel, and staff ensure that all guests have a stay to remember. Nothing is too much trouble and the staff, front-of-house, room service, food service etc have been thoughtful and thoroughly trained and are a credit to both Daniel and the owner, Urban. The little touches like complimentary water and soft drinks, bikes to cycle the town, golf cart ride one-way to wherever you would like to go, a laptop to use, fresh flowers in the room and even remote control beds made our stay very comfortable. Daniel was always on hand to offer suggestions in what to do and see and he organised many trips for us with his preferred boat driver and van driver. The hotel is currently undergoing extensions that should be completed before the end of the year that will more than double the rooms on offer to travellers and as much as my husband and I would love to keep this little gem of a hotel under wraps just for ourselves, we feel it is worthwhile to let other people know about this paradise in Luang Prabang. Urban and Daniel organise an Happy Hour with Urban and other guests where we can speak to like-minded travellers and exchange travel stories and also to hear from Urban, the story of Mekong Riverview Hotel. We intend to return to Luang Prabang regularly as we have made many friends in the hotel and in the town. Well done Daniel for all your wonderful work in ensuring the happiness of your guests at the hotel and we wish Urban well in fulfilling his dream. Luang Prabang is an UNESCO World Heritage Site and is well worth the visit.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2010

The location is fantastic. Quiet, and yet walking distance to everything. The service is exceptional. I especially liked the booklet of helpful tips and the map with all the best places to see marked out for an easy navigation. An example of the staff helpfulness: When sprained my ankle, one of the lads asked if I'd like him to go to the pharmacy and buy and bandage, which I gave him money for. He came back with not only the bandage but some Voltaran too, which he'd bought out of his own money. They go out of ther way!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Mekong Riverview Hotel is a real gem, arrriving at this hotel is simply to arrive in heaven! The location takes your breath away with uninterupted views accross the Mekong in a very seculded part of town yet so close to everything. Every need is taken care of by the welcoming manager Daniel and the fantastic staff, the beautifully appointed rooms are cleaned daily and breakfast is sensational.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends