Mekong Riverview Hotel
Satri House(Luang Prabang)
$112
$93
  • Breakfast included
Le Sen Boutique Hotel(Luang Prabang)
$93
$87
$380
$188
Villa Maydou(Luang Prabang)
$54
Agoda.com
Maison Dalabua Hotel(Luang Prabang)
$63
$57
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsswedish ownerurban paulssonswedish bedsmekong rivergolf buggyadjustable bedswine receptionin townelectric cartremote controlfree soft drinkskhan riversrivers meetjunior suitehotel ownerother guestsrestaurant recommendations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was traveling on business (solo) and spent easter weekend in Luang Prabang (5 nights). I had stayed at Villa Senesouk last time I was in town (and loved it!). However, I checked trip advisor and was persuaded to stay at the Mekong Riverview. It happened to be at the convergence of the two rivers, one of my favorite views of LP of all. So, despite the higher cost, I booked. And it was amazing!!

I had a riverview room o the second floor. A balcony with two comfortable chairs and a table was accessble via two pairs of french doors...making a beautiful view! Everything was spectacular. There were fresh cut flowers, beautiful bathroom with toiliteries, slippers and bathrobe, free water/soda, great free internet connection (i was concerned based on other reviews--it was flawless for me!), free bikes, unlimited tea and Lao coffee and the free breakfast was phenomenal--matching the terrace view you eat it on overlooking the bamboo bridge (in the dry season). I recommend the crepe (pancake) with fresh fruit and honey or vanilla sauce. They even prepared a breakfast for me to eat at the airport on my day of departure since I left before the 7am breakfast opening. I also have to note the cleanliness of the room--I only saw a few bugs after I left the doors open for a while (remember this is Laos! I expected more creepy crawlies) and I must note the amazing adjustable bed. It was a king that had the ability to sit up/lie flat. Amazing and so comfortable...another thing I've found it hard to get in SEA!

The staff (both local and ex-pat) made my stay truly special. Hedwig (ex pat on staff through June) was great and she was constantly providing me with really unique things to do--even inviting me to a photography exibit and a yoga class (sadly i got back from a day trip late and missed it). She had a ton of good recommendations--both touristy things (i had already done most of those on my first trip) and off-the-beaten path. The owner also had 2 wine receptions--allowing guests to connect over a glass of red or white wine--and i met several amazing people!

Overall location is also great...in a quiet part of old town. Quiet but all locations are easily accessible.

The only downside is the higher price...but it is absolutely worth it! I plan to come back, and I plan to stay there again!!

Room Tip: Get a riverview room....worth the price.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JenGPhiladelphia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

How often have you stayed at a hotel where the people running the hotel and the entire staff working at the hotel really care about you and want to help you have the best stay possible? This is the unusual experience that my wife and I had at the Mekong Riverview Hotel. It started when we where greeted at the airport by two smiling young men who took us to the hotel. When we arrived we were met by the owner, Urban.Paulsson, who sat with us for 30 minutes telling us about the hotel and the beautiful town of Luang Prabang. We were served tea or coffee and cake which is always there for the guests. We then went to our room which was perfectly designed and tastefully appointed. Next morning we had breakfast on the patio overlooking the river. Breakfast was delicious. The entire stay exceeded our expectations. The manager, Hedvig, was always helpful and never seemed to tire of doing whatever she could to make things right. The assistant manager, Noi, also was always there to be sure that things were done correctly. You will not be making a mistake if you stay here. Scott Baker, Jacksonville, Florida

Room Tip: Upstairs gives you more privacy from foot traffic
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Incredibly helpful and friendly staff welcomed us to Laos after our flight with an annotated map and free tea/coffee and cake. The room was spectacular with a wraparound terrace. They kept adding bottles of complimentary water to our fridge, something we just had never seen elsewhere. The location is central and the bicycles are free to borrow. Wine reception on Saturday with the owner. Can't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: Try to get upstairs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank J G
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I just feel like I am at home rather than in hotel! From freshly made eggs and shakes served in the terrace (which has unsurpassed view in Luang Prabang), free bike rentals in the day, free tea, coffee and cakes in the lobby (which is more like a living room than a hotel lobby), to little amenities in the room (like free drinks in the fridge, wooden bathtub), all the staff are making this place as friendly and convenient as possible. All the guests are greeted warmly by the hotel owner, Mr. Paulsson, and he is eager to know and learn from all the tourists. All the rooms are fitted with adjustable bed with the head of the bed can be inclined upon button control, an exceptionally rare feat around the world which makes reading and tv very comfortable. Little ants and flies can be troublesome but all in all, this is Luang Prabang! Highly Recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DerekHung
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Much praise has been given to this gem of a hotel by other guests and I can see why. The location could not be bettered - supurb views over the Mekong River, in a quiet area but perfect for walking around this delightful city. Breakfast on the edge of the riverbank watching monks watering the gardens below or strolling over the rickety bridge across the river. Have a second cup of coffee and just sit watching as daily life on the river unfolds.
From the minute of your arrival, the staff could not be more obliging. There is a map of the town with points of interest and recommended restaurants already circled and suggestions for the best way to spend your time. Excursions can be arranged with reputable drivers or boatmen. There are bicycles for use and a golf buggy to transport you around. There is all day tea, coffee and cake available in reception and the lovely touch of fresh flowers in your room. A clock in the room would have been helpful.
The evening get together, sipping wine with the owner and other guests, helped to make you feel at home.
You won't regret your choice of hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo