“Great hotel, wonderful staff”

Mekong Riverview Hotel
Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hotel sits one end of Luang Prabang, where the 2 rivers meet. They have a lovely restaurant where breakfast is served overlooking the confluence of the rivers which is truly unique. The rooms are very spacious and well appointed, the bathroom large with an invigoranting shower. The owner is always on hand to help and he also invited us to a nice wine aperitif get together with the other hotel guests. Truly recommended.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room on the first floor, it has more privacy
2  Thank A A

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We spent 5 great days in this hotel and enjoyed every minute of it. The staff is professional and knowledgeable of the area and in getting around town. The breakfast is served outside along the Mekong and what better way to wake up in the morning with a view with your coffee.
I loved this hotel.
And the owner is very friendly too.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our abiding memory is of the absolute charm of all the young staff who always greeted us with a smile and did everything they could to ensure we had a good stay, which we did. The owner is very hands on, equally helpful and full of ideas to fill your days. Breakfasting on the terrace overlooking the river is a great way to start the day, and at the end of the day a very comfortable bed awaits. We stayed for four nights in a first floor room overlooking the Mekong, and were very sad to leave.

Room Tip: It's good to have a view of the river.
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel is well decked out, with great local staff, but I would not recommend it for a solo, female traveler. I am lucky enough to be based in Singapore and travel all around Asia. This is a very expensive hotel in Asian standards. I booked it because I had had a very stressful few weeks at work and needed a break. I was happy to pay more for a room that I would utilise, rather than just sleep in at night. When I checked in, there was a mention of a local house warming party, with people doing traditional dancing etc and that would happen the day after I arrived. It was suggested that I just 'go with the flow, have a drink with the party if they offered it etc'. What transpired as a 'local party' was more like a local concert. They had set up concert quality speakers that started at 10.30 in the morning with the debut song being 'Gangham Style', which didn't sound too local to me! This party went on until 5.30 pm, during which time, when I was in my room, it literally shook. Essentially, I really could not use my room for that whole day. I realise that the hotel can't control this, but they should have known the potential noise pollution and not used the 'go with the flow, you'll experience the locals' explanation.The manager did take $100 USD off my room for that day, but at $260 per night, on reflection I do not think that was sufficient. The wifi was also terrible. It was intermittent at the best of times. When you consider that you go to a local cafe and get great internet for free, I just don't see the value for money at this price. I think for the solo traveler you can get better value for your money elsewhere in Luang Prabang. That said, the local staff did their best to accommodate.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JoContour
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was my second stay and was even more wonderful than last year! The manager, Urban, and all of the staff make this hotel surely the finest in Laos. Other reviewers have touched on the details and I concur with all of the praise.... Hotel location, room, view, breakfast, service, warmness are all the best. The addition of the small restaurant since my 2011 visit added another highlight. This is the breakfast "room" and their menu at lunch is excellent -- I ended up eating all of my mid-day meals because of the incomparable view right at the juncture of the Mekong and Nam Khan combined with excellent food and service. I am slightly disabled so I particularly enjoyed and benefited from the free golf cart service, always provided with a smile and they even picked me up at restaurants if there was no other demand. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank garuda55
Reviewed November 16, 2012

No words can do justice to the incredible service Mr Urban and team provide at this magical place called the Mekong Riverview Hotel.

Located at the tip of the peninsula, right where the Nam Khan river joins the Mekong, the hotel is slightly off the town centre but only a 5-10 minute walk away. The hotel provides free bicycles and we love the early morning or late evening rides into town. Free golf cart rides (one way) are also available on request.

Our room was clean and cosy with a porch overlooking the Mekong. The Swedish bed is interesting though it takes a while to get used to. Free wifi is available in the room. The mini bar is stocked with complimentary bottled water and soft drinks that are replenished daily.

Breakfast is served at a terrace perched along the banks of the Mekong. Do try the local beef noodle soup. Afternoon tea and cakes served daily in the lobby was a huge hit with us. It was a pity that we had to turn down the invitation for an evening glass of wine by the Mekong as we were on a tight schedule.

There are plenty of swanky hotels in Luang Prabang. This place is special because of their service with a personal touch. I had left my handphone after dining at a restaurant in town. The staff went out of their way to help me retrieve it.

Thank you all at the Mekong Riverview Hotel for having us! Truly, a home away from home.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is jewel in Luang Prabang. Certainly one of the best hotels i have ever stayed in.
The service is top notch. Staff is young and speak good english.
When arriving at the hotel (with the pick up service provided by them), you are welcomed by the owner Mr Urban. He gives a brief explanation about the city and what are the best restaurants and interesting places to visit.
The room are amazing, really spacious. The bed is beyond this world. I didnt want to wake up in the morning because the bad was so comfy.
Breakfast is served at the Cafe just a few steps from the hotel with a river view. Both western and Asian meals are offered.

I reccomend this hotel. It's a bit expensive but it's worth to expend the extra money for a good service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo