“Everything a boutique hotel should be....”

Mekong Riverview Hotel
Ranked #1 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
melbourne
“Everything a boutique hotel should be....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Mekong Riverview Hotel for 5 nights from December 26. The Mekong Riverview Hotel really does set the standard for how a good hotel should operate. Urban and his staff take obvious pride in their hotel and the service they offer. From the friendly greeting at the airport, to the welcome drinks, excellent presentation of the rooms and fresh food at breakfast - everything is done to the high standard that you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Except of course that this is not a large 5 star hotel, it is a gorgeous, boutique and friendly oasis set looking out over the mighty Mekong River.

We stayed in the newly completed section of the hotel. The rooms were very spacious and spotlessly clean. The afternoon view from the balcony was wonderful.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

This hotel is absolutely delightful. Everything is perfect! The location, the rooms, cleanliness, the hospitality, execellent wifi, the views and the breakfast.

The hotel offers Superior Riverview rooms with a fabulous frontal view of the Mekong, and Superior Suites which don't face the river but are larger with a huge wrap-around terrace. Both are the same rate, so you can choose based on your personal preference.

Our preference was for more space, so we booked one of the Superior Suites. We absolutely loved our room. So much space, a nice sitting area, a comfortable king size bed, a very large bathroom, including an enormous bath, and a separate bathroom with toilet and basin.

Best of all was the room's enormous wrap-around terrace, with several seating areas being kept cool by overhead fans. We loved relaxing on the terrace. The room's wifi works brilliantly on the terrace as well!

The hotel staff are super helpful, patient and kind. No request is too much. The hotel owner, Urban, has thought of every detail, and is very helpful.

Breakfast (included in the room rate) is a highlight. The breakfast terrace has a brilliant sweeping view of the Mekong river, and the food is fresh and varied. Delicious French baquettes, fruit salad and shakes, eggs every which way, pancakes, and nice strong Lao coffee. Over breakfast we would watch the early morning mist lift from the mountains across the river, a spectacular view!

The hotel's location could not be more ideal. The hotel offers free rides into town, as well as free bike rentals, but everything is very close by foot as well. Luang Prabang's most famous temple is right next door, the main street with many other temples, restaurants and shops is a very short stroll away.

Luang Prabang is a gem of a town, where time has truly stood still. The Lao people are lovely, and the Mekong Riverview hotel is the place to stay!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank alixz
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

This is really a very good hotel with excellent service and very comfortable rooms. We had an upstairs room in the new wing and it was extremely spacious with a very comfortable balcony. Breakfast is served in an open air setting opposite the hotel and overlooking the river. No other meals are available but the staff will go and collect a takeaway if you really want to eat in your room (a very silly thing to do in Luang Prabang).

There is an electric golf cart which can seat three and is always available to run you anywhere in town at no charge. Location is fine - a little further from the centre of the town than some hotels but an easy 15 minute walk and many restaurants are closer. The staff are very knowledgeable about sites, tour operators and restaurants so just trust them to arrange anything you want. There is no charge for this service, nor for the airport transfers.

Everyone should see Luang Prabang and it's hard to imagine there is a better hotel than the Mekong Riverview.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms at the front are best but probably a bit dearer. There is no noise at night in LP so...
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

Five Star service, friendly and helpful staff.
Nice view from the bedroom balcony.
Great location- quiet and peaceful but easy walk to the center of the town
Very small hotel but service is out of this world.
Mr. Urban works really hard to make a memorable experience, thank you.
We were able to enjoy the breakfast area on its inaugural day, nice job , so beautiful and peaceful.
First experience on a Swedish bed, wow!

Room Tip: higher rooms in front have a super view.
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Great services, hotel staffs were really helpful in every way.
Great location easy walk to anywhere in town but quiet and peaceful.
Really beautiful scenery with Mekong River in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Front room with the view
1 Thank CNX-SEA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

We styled 4 nights in this hotel and it easy to see the main reason for it being rated number 1 in TA.
Simply put the service is outstanding. It's not in your face, but extremely helpful in all the most important ways.
They go out of their way to help, for example when my partner lost her purse the hotel were very keen to assist in retrieving it - ferrying us to the places we'd been in the golf cart, making phone calls to chase people in a restaurant. All of this was not requested, it was offered and actioned without fuss and with care and attention to detail.
It's easy to lose sight of one other great thing about this hotel, the breakfast venue and the breakfast itself, beautiful !

• Stayed December 2011
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

I will begin by saying the bed was dreamy! And this amenity in Asia is why I have given 4 stars and not much lower. I would avoid the airport transfer or come ready to offer apologies to each employee, if you have flight problems. My welcome was awkward: Due to circumstances beyond my control (and never explained to me), I was inserted on a different Laos Airlines flight than was ticketed. The airport transfers are included in the (prepaid) room rate & happily a hotel rep waiting for me after a long day of travel. I apologized to this gentlemen and explained that I was never given an explanation of when this new flight would land; upon arrival at the MRH I apologized to the check-in clerk with extra thanks for retrieving me. When being escorted to my room, I was presented with a piece of paper with 2 highlighted areas. This was the email I sent to the management to confirm my flights. The highlighted area was my statement that this was my flight & the original flight time. I was told I would need to speak to Mr Daniels the next day and that he was very upset that I was not on my original flight. I let this go as a possible 'lost in translation' moment and handed the sheet back to the gentleman. But he insisted: 'Oh, no, no. you must keep this and speak to Mr Daniels tomorrow'. Why do I need this? You must meet with Mr Daniels! I had guaranteed my room with a credit card (actually 100% prepaid) so he is not out of pocket for a late arrival or no show. Because I am late, I will need to meet with the manager? Strange welcome for a paying guest. Would he give me a detention? Although I am joking here - it most certainly adversely affected my stay. I was unsure what to expect at breakfast and was anxious to see what this meeting with Mr Daniels would concern. I wish to say that when Urban, the owner, greeted me he said "We heard you had some trouble getting here. We are glad you made it." (Ah, the golden phrase! This is exactly what I expected to hear last night but had not.) Mr. Daniels then required an explanation and it was necessary to apologize and answer to him for my change of flights. He talked over me frequently and I wasn't sure if this was a sign that he was perturbed or because I am a woman. I couldn't wait to get out of the hotel and be in LP each day. Mr Daniels was very helpful in setting up my excursions - but be on time! I was 10 minutes late for a private outing and he made a point of commenting on it when I returned. If you choose to stay here - be prepared for precise Swiss timing!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo