“Exquisite quality food”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch although we did make a dinner reservation. Very good and smooth mixed curry. Definitely the most refined laos food tasted for this trip. Not cheap by local standards. Not crowded at all during lunch, so better to do lunch if you dont want to have to wait. Efficient service too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,375)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Excellent quality French and Lao food. A welcome option if one has had many days of Asian food and longs for a bit of good class French. We eat here four nights in a row.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

If want to have dinner with little style L’elephant is the place to be. The ambience is mind-blowing. Though it gets quiet populated as it gets late but if you go for an early dinner you will be not be disappointed. Food is delicious and nicely presented but what impressed me most is their good selection of wine which ranges from high quality which can be on the expensive side to good, cheaper wine. The staffs are well mannered and speak good English. It’s a great place to spend romantic, cozy evening with your better half.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We snuck into this place by being early diners, as we had no reservation on a Friday night. (Got my first mosquito bite in Laos here, thanks to the watering of the plants surrounding the open air edge of the cafe.) It was slow service despite the many waiters and the fact that we were the first guests of the evening, and the food was really not very impressive. I think perhaps it sacrifices flavor in favor of "fine dining" food options, and the result was that my lamb shank was decent but heavy and less tender and flavorful than I'd anticipated. My husband was equally unimpressed with his meal, and it was the most expensive meal we had in Luang Prabang. Doubt we'd go back.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

A visit to Luang Prabang is just not complete without at least one evening at L'Elephant Restaurant. It is simply the place to be! The menu is made to suit all palates and tastes, including, of course, a section for Lao food. The food never disappoints. It is always excellent and well-presented. A lot of imagination in the preparation of the dishes only serves to enhance the culinary experience. The restaurant has a good selection of wines, which can be a bit on the expensive side, but they are of high quality and it offers good, acceptable, cheaper wine in a pichet too. The service is impeccable. It's interesting just to observe the subtle efficiency of the staff. Everyone knows their place and role. Even when the evening's at its most hysterical (which it can be!), composition and professionalism on behalf of the staff pervades the place. They are amazing! I have not experienced any delays in getting my food even though I've been there when they've been, or should have been, overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of demanding guests. The staff are always there when you need them and there is no feeling of any stress, just friendly, accommodating and personal service. There are, for me, few restaurants anywhere in the world whose ambiance can be compared to that of L'Elephant Restaurant in Luang Prabang. There is just something very special about the premises as such. So, add to that what I've written above about the food, the wines and the service, this equates, in my book, to everything that I want from my ideal restaurant.

1  Thank Stuart W