“Go ahead and treat yourself”

L'Elephant Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 203 Restaurants in Luang Prabang
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Ft. Thomas, Kentucky
“Go ahead and treat yourself”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This restaurant approaches state-side prices (USA) but was worth it. We had a fabulous meal and a table that was outside with plants for privacy. Best glass of wine in a month of Indochina travels, and that was buying by the glass. I had the beef medallions with pepper sauce, my friend had buffalo tartare - she loved it. I loved mine. Cooked exactly as I asked it to me and french style french fries came with both. We ate every bite of everything we ordered. Two other friends joined us a bit later so we sat with them while they ate. They were also very happy with their meals.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Brooklyn, New York
“Really good French food in Lao”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The food is really quite delicious. Only dish that was so so was the Buffalo Mozzarella and tomatoes, the cheese was just not great. However both French mains were excellent! Highly recommended after weeks of good Lao food.

Visited January 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
“Apparently the finest French restaurant in Luang Prabang”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Well, we'll never know if it really stands up to the reputation as we only went to one French restaurant on our trip to Luang Prabang. It was good but didn't quite blow us away. Look, I'm not expecting a 3 star michelin restaurant in Luang Prabang but I did expect a little more from what is supposed to be the best French restaurant in a French colonial town filled with French tourists. I was so impressed by French restaurants in Hanoi so I think that is where I had set my expectations. The duck breasts with Matoom sauce was nice, and the buffalo tartare was a novelty. Maybe we would have been more impressed if we weren't told about it beforehand. A nice and much needed break over all from several days of eating a variety of the same few dishes in Lao food though.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank trevostar
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great French Fusion, nice ambience”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

L Elephant turned out to be the best French restaurant in Luang Prabang. There were 11 of us and almost all of us enjoyed good value for money meals. By all accounts, it is inexpensive. I would strongly recommend anyone who loves French food to give it a try. Reservations recommended..

Amsterdam
“do not miss this”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

we were lucky , no reservation, but we had a table the evening we decided to have dinner at L'Elephant in Luang Prabang, :Laos
the service is excellent - the restaurant is simple decorated, but it is all about the food
everything was perfect - try the Mekongh fish in butter

we will come back for sure

• Visited January 2013