“Lizards and ants in dirty unsealed room, unfriendly "peeping tom" staff!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Saynamkhan Hotel

Saynamkhan Hotel
Ranked #29 of 257 Luang Prabang B&B and Inns
“Lizards and ants in dirty unsealed room, unfriendly "peeping tom" staff!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in May for 2 nights after doing some research on tripadvisor. This seemed to be the best value for money as my gf and I were over budget on our travels at the time of arrival. We checked the pictures on the site and it looked like we were staying in the white building as photographed.
When we arrived we were greeted by a less than enthusiastic staff member who told us that the white building (new part) was full even though we saw nobody come in or out of there throughout our stay. We were told that we would have to stay in the older wooden building attached to the right side of the new building (you can just make it out in one of the hotels pictures). We were brought to our rooms to find that the room was dirty, smelly, the fridge had no water in it, no safe, ants in and around the bath, toilet, sink, bed etc. Reluctantly after a cull we decided we would continue on with our budget requirements and stay in our less than perfect room.
We awoke in the night to a loud chattering noise which once the light was turned on we discovered 2 lizards on the walls. We discovered that they have somewhat of a highway above the windows that allow them and any other creature smaller than a rooster to get in. Speaking of roosters, we awoke a few hours later to hear our new alarm clock going off with no intention of letting up until 10.30!
Tired and annoyed we decided we would go for breakfast. We met another unfriendly and less than enthusiastic member of staff who told us to go up the road (3 mins walk) to another restaurant where you can redeem a voucher for a free breakfast. This turned out to be no more than sliced bread, jam and cold coffee.
Afterwards we returned to the room to have our showers and go out for the day. I noticed that someone had been in our room as our wooden slat doors that lead onto the patio were open and just the light inner door with glass panes was closed. Passports and laptop on show of course as we had not expected them to clean the room. As I closed the curtain and began to get undressed I noticed someone trying to look in through the windows, covered by the thin layer of curtain material. After I exclaimed and went to the door the person who I had recognised as one of the hotel guys had run towards the white building pretending he hadn't been there. Tired, annoyed and still hungry I made it clear I was closing the outer doors for no more peeping tom games!
I have never showered with ants before then.
We left and went to a far better place nearby for the duration of our stay in Luang Prabang for similar price.
My gf and I would not trust the staff, we didn't like the rooms or the visitors in the night, we won't be coming back and would not recommend this to a friend.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank gkxwing2002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Disgusting place! Don't be fooled by the picture, we were put in the wooden Addams family style house with no protection from the outside! The room was designed in 1972 (by the look of it) and it was FULL of lines of ants running around the bath!
An old dirty pair of flip flops and we were told they were for our use!
We were given a voucher to walk about 5 minutes up the road to be served a slice of bread and a bowl of melon!
Oh and the big lizards running around inside the room made it very difficult to sleep! It might be due to the big holes in the wooden walls!
We also saw an employee looking in our room when we were in there and he quickly ran away when he saw us! There are no safes in the room so we've had to carry everything with us everywhere we go!
I haven't even left, this place creeps me out I'm scared to go asleep and I'm writing this review from my bed! We asked to be moved but they wouldn't and we booked the deluxe room! We found nicer accomodation around the corner for the same price and will be leaving tomorrow morning!
A gecko has just started making noise behind my head! Seriously! This place CREEPS me out! Both staff and animals!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Aprile51284
Chonburi, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Highly recommend like other reviews, it is in the center of Luangprabang, walking distance to major places. But I did not feel like I am staying in middle of the town because of the Khan River view and the temple near by. All staff are nice and polite. I booked for 2 nights and decided to stay 1 more night after checking other guesthouses near by...just pay a little extra.

Room Tip: Get the river view room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

We highly recommend this guest house. We have a river view room with a terrace. The room is clean, comfortable with lovely bedding and the bathroom is small but has a hot water shower. We have enjoyed sitting out on our terrace with a glass of wine watching the world go by in the early evening. Breakfast is included and is different from the usual breakfast - fruit salad and pancakes - very yummy. It is very close to the sights being situated in the historical quarter of Luang Prabang. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room with terrace. It is really lovely sitting out there in the evening and i...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Vientiane, Laos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

Working as motorbike guide in Laos, i discover this hotel downtown LPQ during my last trip in january. The hotel takes place in old colonial house and in old wooden house, between the "nam kong river" and the "nam khan river.
Nice place to stay and to feel the spirit of this old royal capital through this place.
Good service and good restaurant ("Couleur Cafe").
Free service : WIFI,TV, AIR COND, LAUNDRY.
The owners speak: French, English, Thai, and Lao.
My advice is : you are in old royal capital and stay in old colonial house, is the best way to be in harmony with this town.
Laurent.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Laurent A
Vientiane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

I already had a favorite hotel out of town, now with SayNamKhan I also have a favorite place right in the middle of the old Luang Prabang town!

For me, the 2 rivers, Mekong and NamKhan count for 50% of the extraordinary ambiance of this sacred town, So I find that when staying in Luang Prabang, it would be a shame not to stay by the river! I love the susnset on the Mekong side, but for my hotel I definitly prefer the quiet Nam Khan river side. The SayNamKhan hotel has it both: If you got a room with a balcony you can enjoy beautiful and peacefull morning sunrises with an amazing view on the charming Nam Khan river and mountains in the back, and it is just 2 minutes walk from the Mekong banks for evening sunsets.

The hotel is a traditionnal lao house, which makes you feel the authentic vibes of Luang Prabang. Of course it may not be as confortable as a mordern construction, but this is a personnal choice and the experience one wants to live: I definitly prefer to be in this beautiful old building that is unique and authentinc, that IS the real Luang Prabang than staying in a fancy boutique hotel that could be anywhere else in the world.

Rooms are very clean. Bed was very confortable (seems to be brand new at the time I was there). Staff is very friendly. The restaurant next door is also very nice. I will definitly come back.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs have a private balcony
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BleuGrenouille
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

very disappointed by this place: staff was pleasant but changed continuously, people who served our breakfast were never seen again and the next day there were still new faces different from those present the night before. No restaurant in the place and breakfast was basic (even the tea was tasteless!) The furniture in our room was just one double bed (too big for the space which forced us to squeeze in and out of bed - no mattress, rather a large but very thin and hard kind of carpet put on top of the bed's wooden frame), one table and a chair, one lamp - with the ratan shade so thick that you could not read unless you were standing exactly under the lamp. Nowhere to hang our clothes, except a wooden board fixed to the wall with 3 pegs and just as many wire hangers. The bathroom was so small that you could not open the door because of the basin behind it.... and once inside, you could not keep the door shut : the lock was broken. The only good thing about the place was its location, very central indeed, but Luang Prabang is so small that no place is far from the city center anyway. There are many other guest houses nearby and had we not pre-paid our stay, we would have not spent 3 nights in this miserable place

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple