“A Fantasic Experiance”

All Lao Elephant Camp
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: All Lao Elephant Camp is only 7 kilometres from the UNESCO heritage town of Luang Prabang, Laos. Perfectly positioned amongst breathtaking scenery you will find a 20 room Resort, 16 idyllic chalets, cafes and a restaurant nestled amongst the trees on the banks of the Nam Khan River. Come and have time with our majestic rescued elephants. Here we are dedicated to providing them with the best quality of care possible with the aim of rescuing more. Conservation is our top priority and we have many future conservation initiatives we are working on. You can Relax in the gardens and watch the elephants, or you can go mountain biking, kayaking, bamboo rafting, hiking, and get up close and personal with our amazing elephants. You can also visit hill tribes or villages, explore waterfalls, explore the Buddha Caves or cruise along the famous Mekong River. Come and stay, play or rest and enjoy Laos tranquility! *Please be aware some tours are operated through other tour operators which All Lao Elephant Camp can book but is not responsible for
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is one of the best days that I have ever spent touring. I can't speak more highly of my time. I was sceptical about what might be and I certainly did not want to 'just' ride on the back of an elephant. This was an interactive experience - at least, that is what I felt. I saw no mis-treatment of the elephants. In fact, the contrary. The mahouts were singing to their elephants and whispering to them and, not once, did I see one mahout use the small hook that they carry. Not once. I was impressed. It was much more than I thought it would be. And the swim at the waterfalls afterwards was icing on the cake. A great day and it only cost me US$45.00 which, to me, was a pittance compared with the pleasure and enjoyment I got from it. You should do this. You'll love the experience.
Next time I come it will be to do a 5-6 day course.

1  Thank GraemeJ1
in 13 reviews
"neck"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Go with a different company! This one is below average and we were disappointed. There are so many other companies that treat their elephants well and that provide services that are worth their price tags. The elephants are adorable, but it's so sad to see how they are treated. The mahouts don't speak any English and don't seem to care about the elephants. They seem indifferent about everything. The ride on the elephants is half an hour at most even though they tell you it will be an hour. Bathing with the elephants is fun, but only lasts about 10 minutes. My friends went with the top company for their elephant experience and had a much much better time. They reported that the elephants at the other camp seemed happy and that they were given the services just as they were promised. I would not recommend this company.

KHAMVANH, General Manager at All Lao Elephant Camp, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Jordie,
We thank you for posting your review. We are sorry you think this trip is not worth the money and that we mistreat our elephants. Let's inform you about our " elephantcare". The animals used to work in the logging industry. Since cutting trees is forbidden some of them live now in our park. The elephants are brought every evening into the rainforest where they spend the night; completely free. In daytime they are fed regularly; sugar cane, grasses and pineappleleafs. A veterinarian is checking the health regularly and if necessary they get time to rest and recover. At the moment a new elephant hospital is under construction. Riding tourists, having a bath is absolutely not a burden. Each Mahout has his own elephant and he learns from the elephant's behaviour if he/she is feeling alright. The elephants don't mind their new work at all.
Thanks to your remarks we will improve our services; your remarks have been communicated with the Mahout.
Thank you again and we hope to meeting you again on your next visit to Luan Prabang.
Mr. Bounthieng, Manager Operations and Marketing and Sales

Reviewed May 23, 2013

A bumpy ride through forest up and down gullies. Wear mosquito repellent! Take your camera as a stop half way gives the mahouts a chance to take your photo. If you're agile take advantage and sit on the elephant's neck

1  Thank 651jen
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The camp is just 30 minutes from Luang Prabang, so is not hard to get there. Elephant riding was amazing, but better than this is the elephant bath, just fantastic. It just a pitty the way sometimes they treat the animals.

1  Thank Jmarinho