“Fun but.....”

All Lao Elephant Camp
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: All Lao Elephant Camp is only 7 kilometres from the UNESCO heritage town of Luang Prabang, Laos. Perfectly positioned amongst breathtaking scenery you will find a 20 room Resort, 16 idyllic chalets, cafes and a restaurant nestled amongst the trees on the banks of the Nam Khan River. Come and have time with our majestic rescued elephants. Here we are dedicated to providing them with the best quality of care possible with the aim of rescuing more. Conservation is our top priority and we have many future conservation initiatives we are working on. You can Relax in the gardens and watch the elephants, or you can go mountain biking, kayaking, bamboo rafting, hiking, and get up close and personal with our amazing elephants. You can also visit hill tribes or villages, explore waterfalls, explore the Buddha Caves or cruise along the famous Mekong River. Come and stay, play or rest and enjoy Laos tranquility! *Please be aware some tours are operated through other tour operators which All Lao Elephant Camp can book but is not responsible for
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Sydney
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fun but.....”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We enjoyed our morning. We booked a half day experience, trekking through the jungle on elephants and then washing them. We had a good morning however I an left wondering whether one of the other companies offering the same adventure might have been better? We left for our trek on elephants though the jungle and proceeded to follow the highway where major road works were taking place, with all manner of earth moving equipment in sight and earshot. The jungle we trekked through was littered with garbage, and the English speaking guide spoke very little English. It appeared All Lao Elephant Company was not doing as well as it could.

I have to say, the highlight for me was watching others in the group was their elephants - hysterical!

I'm not sure how different the other Company's in town are, but I would recommend giving them a go.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank allwests

• Thai first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Elephants seem to be treated very well and I liked the trip a lot”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Very nice to sit on an elephant and unbelievable how well balanced they are. The jungle tour is nice and actually a little bit scary in the beginning. Also so much fun to feed them bananas. They naturally use their slurfs and they keep on requesting. Worth every penny. It looks like they treat the elephants very good and they only use wording to give them directions (no sticks whatsoever :-)

Visited November 2012
1 Thank David19051981
Penang Island, Malaysia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Adventures Experience with the Elephants!”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

USD55 per person for 1hr elephant Jungle trekking ride+Kuang Si Waterfall+Lunch.It was a thrilled and adventures journey riding on the elephant back.At last i understand how do the king & princess felt at the ancient days when they were riding on the elephant.There were a few thrilled moments where me and my friend nearly rolled out of our seat especially when the elephant is walking down the steep muddy path.Me and my friend we both hold on to the "safety bar"(which is not locked) tightly and eventually we are still on our seat after the slope.It's like riding on a slow roller coaster.At the mid point of the path the mahout jumped down and take a few photos of us.I get the chance to sit on the elephant's neck till the journey ends!Yuhoo!!It was really exciting and fun!!Me and my friend fed the elephant with babanas and I'll highly recommend travelers to do this ride.There are other companies that provides better jungle trekking routes but please book earlier.I still enjoy my elephant ride with All Lao Elephant Camp.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank SarahBikYun
Hanoi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“3 day mahout camp”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We opted to do the 2 night, 3 day package, the third day comprising a hike to a waterfall through some fine scenery.

Overall, it was really good and we enjoyed it very much. It's a bit rough n ready in parts, and is not for those wanting pampered luxury or the spotless opulence of a maharajah's palace, but...

Our guide was enthusiastic and attentive throughout. The Mahouts were pleasant, good sports and good company. There was copious food which wasn't bad at all (nothing fancy). The huts were very nice: comfortable and well designed and fitted. You really did learn something about the care & maintenance of the elephants, and how to drive them. You don't get that without Its being a wee bit of a boot camp - up at 6, go and find your elephants and drive them to the river at 6:30, then take them to breakfast... before you get yours. You get plenty of time for beer and lounging about, just don't expect a lie in. The mahouts and guide can judge easily enough how much you want to learn, how confident/agile you are and deal with you appropriately.

The posters all show great hordes of grinning teenagers (a pretty off-putting prospect for this 56-year-old Brit/Canadian), but most clients go for short (one-day) packages and we were the only people doing the three days, and we had the place pretty much to ourselves, apart from a couple of small groups coming through who we happened to have met already on our travels, so we had a nice mix of peace & quiet, socialising and activity.

In short: A great experience, good value, good (nothing glitzy) service, nice staff.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Martin C
Tel Aviv, Israel
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“One of the highlights of our trip! Money well spent (and the cheapest in Luang Prabang)”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We took the 1-day mahout course. What a great choice!

I had done a short elephant riding course in Thailand, but this was so much better.

We rode the elelphants mahout style, meaning riding them on the neck. After feeding them, we learnt some commands while having a fantastic lunch. After that we rode them again and got to practice the commands. We then took them to the river for a bath, the highlight of the experience.

The elephants really seemed to enjoy the bath and sprayed themselves and us with water.

After we brought the elephants back, we even got to go tubing down the river a bit.

The guide was amazing (unfortunately I forgot his name), and had excellent English skills.

I can really recommend this tour to anybody.

About the concerns regarding the well-being of the elephants: Just as everyone else here, I'm not a vet. However, I didn't see any brutal behavior towards the elephants (unlike at that trip in Thailand) and they seemed generally happy.

Visited October 2012