Having been to LP a few times we deviated from our favourite hotel & tried this one as we had friends staying nearby.
To summarise, it's a perfectly ok choice but for the price there are better options in LP with exquisite rooms.
- it has a clean pool!
- gorgeous well maintained gardens,
- easy check inn & staff with a good level of English,
- a clean room with several sitting chairs & lots of light,
- expansive buffet breakfast, plentiful coffee refills. Do order an omelet - the one I had was delicious
- there are mosquito nets which are draped over the bed posts guaranteeing a mosquito free sleep. We didn't notice many Mosquitos at the hotel with the exception of dusk.
- there would have been a dozen sunbeds which was not sufficient for the number of guests. We were disappointed that we couldn't obtain a sunbed at times. Why not put sunbeds where you have a dining table setup?
- hotel restaurant food was average (actually my husband said his western sandwich was pretty good) and commanded high prices for Laos. I think places should be upfront and include taxes etc in the advertised rates.
- The ease at which you could order drinks from the pool varied tremendously with the bar been left unattended for large periods of time during our stay
We noticed other guests just buying beer & drinks at the local shop (even baguettes & a pizza) & drinking them by the pool so maybe we should have been more prepared like them ha
- No poolside bathroom and no bathroom at the restaurant - only one in the reception area - really?
- the room decor. When you arrive you are greeted by this beautiful wooden lobby. The rooms have exquisite furniture which is beautiful. But..I was so disappointed that every piece of timber in the room had been painted in colour (yes even the beams & floorboards). Combined with the hideous pink the room was painted it just ruined the room - I'm sure it had so much potential. The bathroom is pokey and very dark. My husband found it very difficult to even have enough light for shaving.
Why are there no proper pillows? And why is there no where to put your bathroom amenities in the shower? The turndown service consisted of putting brochures on our bed & leaving cheap candy. No quick room tidy up or emptying bathroom bins to be seen here.
- the rooms are noisy. We were woken up both nights by guests returning to their rooms and gossiping in the hall. We also heard noise from the pool. Perhaps if we had upgraded our room there might have been less rooms in the block.
- we called the hotel on the number on their website for several hours before we landed but no one answered. When we enquired about this on check in, all they said was 'we don't know'
- although not the hotels fault, the other guests ruined our stay. There was a particularly noisy group of young people who insisted on playing their own music loudly by the pool, swearing continuously, consuming the entire pool with their blow up floaties and making lots of noise in the corridor when they got back at night. A tricky one.
We're glad to have tried it but won't be returning for our next weekend trip
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Once the home of Lao royalty, today Villa Maly is an exquisite boutique hotel, surrounded by luscious tropical gardens. Its rooms evoke the subdued elegance and creative touches of a bygone time. The hotel's 33 guest rooms are each subtly created to incorporate time-honored Laotian architecture with an essence of the Colonial past. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Fastbooking, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villa Maly reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Maly Hotel Luang Prabang
- Maly Hotel Luang Prabang