“WARNING : Looks can be deceiving” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Maly

Villa Maly
Ranked #11 of 70 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Bangkok, Thailand
“WARNING : Looks can be deceiving”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We always consult Trip Advisor before traveling and booking a hotel. Based on my brief reading about Villa Maly, the establishment looks okay and the management seems to be attentive by replying the posting from TA. So we decided to book 4 nights in October, convince that we don't need to stay elsewhere. Unfortunately this place is far below our expectation and for the first time in my review, I am pressed to give 'poor' rating for a hotel.
At first impression, this is an elegant villa with chic interior design. Unfortunately it has serious dysfunctional design. Upon reviewing more comments from TA, I found that these issue has been raised many times by different people (e.g tastebuds_John in Jan 21, 2013). The management had replied to this complaint and promised some improvement but I didn't see the difference when I was there.
The bathroom : There is a mirror with back lighting which was designed to make the room look pretty, but impossible to use. No hand shower in toilet. Remember, this is South East Asia. No electric outlet for shaving/ hair-dryer. Only one small liquid shower gel for the whole 4 days. No replenishment.
The room : we got room no. 7 which is the closest to restaurant. High traffic area. The room is very dark, we need to open the window but at the same time we don't want to lose your privacy. There was a nice big wardrobe facing the entry door but there's no light at all so you have to open the entry door to be able to see the wardrobe (really ?). There are no reading lights or overhead lights, only 4 table lamps in a dark room. The 4 poster bed was squeaky.
Swimming pool : the sunbeds are not adjustable. No sitting position, only sleeping position. Ratio of sunbeds are not adequate compared to room number.
Breakfast : boring option. 3 days out of 4 days we took the breakfast, they are not warm. The supervisor is quite attentive.
Noise : again, this has been mentioned many times by other. During Saturday night, there was very noisy party/ karaoke just next to the villa -- all the way past midnight.
Location : debatable. Some people love it because it's slightly off from the main towncenter. But if we were to come back again to Luang Prabang, for the same price that we paid, we would opt for river view hotel, either in Mekong or Nam Khan.
The good : hibiscus juice welcome drink
Overall : not recommended.
Response from villa management has not been sincere.

Room Tip: Check out different rooms before you settling in. Your comfort is highly dependent on room size and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jigrak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ubud, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We are a family of four, a 10 and 5 year old. Everything was perfect. Classy, but not uptight. The owners are often present and the staff are trained to give excellent service. When we return, we will only stay here. When you are completely satisfied, there is nothing else to say!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S M
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Hi travelled October 2013

Malay is a beautiful villa with nice renovated bathrooms. There is nothing wrong with this hotel however we came away not fully satisfied however neither my husband or myself could put a finger on it. The front desk were helpful and the kitchen was sufficient and the rooms were nice.

The in house bar was not fully stocked and were unable to make decent cocktails. I think unfortunately we were confined to our room at night as we could not get a babysitter for our 1 year old, it was my birthday and we envisaged going out for dinner and used a babysitter.

For advice if travelling in October or in winter, you do not need a pool (the pool at Malay was quiet chilly) and should not sacrifice your location for one. as Villa maly is about 10-15 minute walk to town. We should have settled on a place closer to town with a babysitting service.

There was no highchair at restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank soon_2_b_B
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a nice option in the quaint town of Luang Prabang, which has many options. I would recommend this hotel though. Set in a old french home, beautifully and tastefully decorated. Its old world charm. So if thats what appeals to you, you will love it. Relaxed, quiet. quaint. The restaurant is nice too.. Good food. Breakfast could be better. And certainly the spa facilities can be improved.Overall a nice pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
dillingen germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

The hotel is beautifully decorated and has a nicely balanced Asien/European touch. The room was nice but the only thing we were missing was a plug in the bathroom for the hairdryer.

The service was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear altbier,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
I would like to personally thank you very much for your kind comments about your stay with us at Villa Maly. As you know we are always seeking for our guests' feedback in order to improve ourselves. I am delighted to read that you did enjoy staying with us.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future and in the meantime i wish you a nice day.
Warm regards,
A. de Boynes
Apple Tree Hospitality Laos: Villa Maly, Kamu Lodge, Nava Mekong
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Having just stayed here for the marathon I can say that it was good accommodation.
I was collected from airport & taken to hotel in air con hotel van. Entrance to Villa Malay was clearly marked and well lit.
My room Lotus 8 was near to the open-air restaurant which meant I heard some breakfast setup noise but not too bad.
One of the recommendations for my room and the other rooms which have the same curtains - I found it difficult to sleep with the sheer curtains letting light in from the outside verandah and footpath lighting as well as morning light. I like to sleep in darkness, however with sheer curtains & no shutters like on majority of the other rooms (& my bathroom), sleeping was difficult. The bed itself was very comfortable. In contrast the bathroom lighting was dull & as mentioned in previous posts too dark. The staff were well-intentioned although at times a bit vague. My in-room massage was nice both times, however has room for improvement.
The pool area is small but nice and even though there didn't appear to be enough lounges it also wasn't inadequate as I got a lounge when I wanted a dip.
Food & drink service was prompt either around pool, at bar or in room.
I had the buffet breakfasts & especially for the marathon runners breakfast was put on at 5am which was greatly appreciated & a commendable effort by Villa Malay.
Overall I enjoyed my stay & would stay with them again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Really nice and new hotel in Luang Prabang!
Friendly staff and Management and excellent structure (rooms, pool, bar, spa, etc).
It is a 5min walk from night market and if you would like to see the Alms Giving Ceremony but without tourists disturbing the monks, they just pass around 6am close to the hotel!

Highly recommended!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear koba37,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
Warm regards,