“Marathon recommended accommodation”

Ranked #10 of 69 Hotels in Luang Prabang
Hong Kong, China
“Marathon recommended accommodation”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Having just stayed here for the marathon I can say that it was good accommodation.
I was collected from airport & taken to hotel in air con hotel van. Entrance to Villa Malay was clearly marked and well lit.
My room Lotus 8 was near to the open-air restaurant which meant I heard some breakfast setup noise but not too bad.
One of the recommendations for my room and the other rooms which have the same curtains - I found it difficult to sleep with the sheer curtains letting light in from the outside verandah and footpath lighting as well as morning light. I like to sleep in darkness, however with sheer curtains & no shutters like on majority of the other rooms (& my bathroom), sleeping was difficult. The bed itself was very comfortable. In contrast the bathroom lighting was dull & as mentioned in previous posts too dark. The staff were well-intentioned although at times a bit vague. My in-room massage was nice both times, however has room for improvement.
The pool area is small but nice and even though there didn't appear to be enough lounges it also wasn't inadequate as I got a lounge when I wanted a dip.
Food & drink service was prompt either around pool, at bar or in room.
I had the buffet breakfasts & especially for the marathon runners breakfast was put on at 5am which was greatly appreciated & a commendable effort by Villa Malay.
Overall I enjoyed my stay & would stay with them again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Really nice and new hotel in Luang Prabang!
Friendly staff and Management and excellent structure (rooms, pool, bar, spa, etc).
It is a 5min walk from night market and if you would like to see the Alms Giving Ceremony but without tourists disturbing the monks, they just pass around 6am close to the hotel!

Highly recommended!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear koba37,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
I would like to personally thank you very much for your kind comments about your stay with us at Villa Maly. As you know we are always seeking for our guests' feedback in order to improve ourselves. I am delighted to read that you did enjoy staying with us.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future and in the meantime i wish you a nice day.
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location far enough away from the noise and busy streets in the evening of Luang Prabang. the staff at this hotel are extremely attentive and nothing is to much of a problem, the rooms are furnished to a very high standard and the beds are extremely comfortable, the hotel pool and surroundings are very nice. The only thing the hotel could be a bit better on is breakfast in the mornings it appears that if they are busy they can't cope and the staff seem to stand around and wait to be told or asked before they burst into life, but then you have to accept that Laos people by nature are shy so perhaps we have to be a little more understanding in their ways instead of knocking them as they do try when asked all in all a lovely Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JWP23
Dear JWP23,
Reviewed September 10, 2013

After traveling throughout Southeast Asia for a month we were supposed to stay in Luang Prabang only for 2 days. Truthfully the city doesn't provide attractions for more than two or three days. However VILLA MALY made it soooo worth our while that we stayed 5 days total.

The staff, the rooms, the free breakfast, EVERYTHING was just right.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear ruesga,
Annecy
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have stayed 3 days in the hotel, and received a warm welcome by the Management. Then all my stay was recordable thanks to the helpfull staff - Hotel is located 5 mn from night market, good breakfast, nice rooms, great pool and bar service. Highly recommended

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear marco333,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Highly recommend the hotel. Quiet, restful and terrific for singles or couples. The hotel is lovely with a welcoming pool and spa, and the rate included an excellent breakfast and internet. The room was gorgeous and manager and staff helpful.

Location is a short walk (or even shorter bike/taxi/rickshaw ride) to the city center/night market and the hotel's pool/grounds provide a peaceful oasis after a day exploring (by bike and foot) Luang Prabang's many activities/sites. The hotel is close enough to spend a morning on one outing; an early afternoon at the pool (away from the heat and noise of the day) and return to the city center for late afternoon touring/dinner/or the night market.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank kmhontravel
Dear kmhontravel,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel is very nice; it's beautiful and the rooms are kept clean. The location is also quite good.

Unfortunately the manager was not very friendly and they did not respond well to our broken AC unit.

This place has a ton of potential but at the moment it is just alright.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends