Villa Maly Boutique Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Maison Dalabua Hotel(Luang Prabang)
  • Breakfast included
Muang Thong Hotel(Luang Prabang)
L'hotel Souvannaphoum(Luang Prabang)
Satri House(Luang Prabang)
  • Breakfast included
Treasure Hotel Laos(Luang Prabang)
Amantaka(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
AVANI+ Luang Prabang(Luang Prabang)
View Hotel
All reviewsnight marketlovely pool areafrench ladypool sidelovely hotelbreakfast buffetfrench colonial stylequiet side streetsuperior roomlush gardensclose to townmain buildingwelcome drinkquiet locationan oasisreception areaenjoyed my stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 10, 2013

After traveling throughout Southeast Asia for a month we were supposed to stay in Luang Prabang only for 2 days. Truthfully the city doesn't provide attractions for more than two or three days. However VILLA MALY made it soooo worth our while that we stayed 5 days total.

The staff, the rooms, the free breakfast, EVERYTHING was just right.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
VillaMaly, General Manager at Villa Maly Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear ruesga,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
I would like to personally thank you very much for your kind comments about your stay with us at Villa Maly. As you know we are always seeking for our guests' feedback in order to improve ourselves. I am delighted to read that you did enjoy staying with us.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future and in the meantime i wish you a nice day.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have stayed 3 days in the hotel, and received a warm welcome by the Management. Then all my stay was recordable thanks to the helpfull staff - Hotel is located 5 mn from night market, good breakfast, nice rooms, great pool and bar service. Highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear marco333,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Highly recommend the hotel. Quiet, restful and terrific for singles or couples. The hotel is lovely with a welcoming pool and spa, and the rate included an excellent breakfast and internet. The room was gorgeous and manager and staff helpful.

Location is a short walk (or even shorter bike/taxi/rickshaw ride) to the city center/night market and the hotel's pool/grounds provide a peaceful oasis after a day exploring (by bike and foot) Luang Prabang's many activities/sites. The hotel is close enough to spend a morning on one outing; an early afternoon at the pool (away from the heat and noise of the day) and return to the city center for late afternoon touring/dinner/or the night market.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank kmhontravel

Dear kmhontravel,

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel is very nice; it's beautiful and the rooms are kept clean. The location is also quite good.

Unfortunately the manager was not very friendly and they did not respond well to our broken AC unit.

This place has a ton of potential but at the moment it is just alright.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lll-T-R-A-V-E-L-lll
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed in Villa Maly on business trip for three nights. The room I booked was advertised on booking.com as "33sqm size with bath tub". On my relatively late arrival in the evening they put me in room 3, probably the darkest and smallest room on the whole property, with a max. size of 24sqm. I told the local staff that the room is too small, but they claimed that the hotel was fully booked. I later complained with the GM, but she only said sorry, admitting that the information the Villa Maly had provided to booking.com was inaccurate!! She added that I already got a discounted rate (of 92.5 USD, which I did not know as the price on booking.com was not a "special price"), so what was I complaining about? Well, I simply did not get what I booked, a 33sqm room with a bit of space, it is as simple as that. If the hotel was really fully booked, any other GM would have settled this by either giving me a real discount, or at least providing a voucher for my next stay. Nothing like this happened.

On check-out, the Maly was unable to process VISA card payment, and also refused to return / destroy the credit card information they had copied / deposit amount that they had blocked. They claimed that information had only been typed into their computer (In fact, they have all that information from booking.com already!?). My later checking revealed that this statement was incorrect again, as card had been blocked deposit amount (Even though I paid the whole amount in US cash on my leaving). I am staying in many hotels in SE-Asia, but this check-out was a real hassle, taking more than 20 minutes which is clearly sub-standard.

On a better note, some of the other rooms I have seen on checkout-day were much nicer than the one I was given, and generally the premises are nice and well-kept. However given the competition of hotels in Luang Prabang, I also believe that there are a lot of other choices (especially in off-season) so the price level is relatively high in Villa Maly. Breakfast is ok, but relatively limited in choice. Pool looks nice, but is too small to swim. That's why at least on customer service side they should be better than their competitors! For now, I believe it is overpriced.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't put you in the main building, claiming that "hotel is fully booked". Room 3 is not acceptable for what they advertise on most booking-sites.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business